Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog killed by plane at Canberra

Wikiposts

Dog killed by plane at Canberra

Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:33 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog killed by plane at Canberra

Originally Posted by JoolsB
There are 2 types of crate -the wooden ones or the plastic with heavy steel door (the latter being more expensive).

Is it the wooden ones that keep breaking I wonder as I would have thought the plastic more durable and less likely to split.

I would like to know as I would like to make my decision based on whichever is strongest (as Im sure we all would)

Anyone know??
I am also wondering what kind of crates they used. I saw on the airport programme one time how some luggage fell on the plastic dog kennel and the metal door sprung open. they caught the dog though.

But I should imagine if a wooden crate falls to the floor then that would break quite easily - or not depending on how it is secured.

God Im so scared. We are paying our deposit this week.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know but I will be asking whichever agent I go with!

I mentioned on another thread that I am amazed that these crates that split are IATA approved - surely thats part of the idea is the damned things are durable enough to withstand something like this. Maybe its worth also addressing the issue with IATA so they only approve the genuinely durable crates.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Sam, bear in mind statistically the chances are slim. Its when you become aware of the personal circumstances like poor Toby that it brings it a lot closer to home and to the forefront of your mind.

Having said that I will still be terrified when my boys fly and clinging onto that sentence like nobody's
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:54 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

I have just emailed my company to see what they say as to which is strongest & safest. Will report back later..
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:01 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikiL
Sam, bear in mind statistically the chances are slim. Its when you become aware of the personal circumstances like poor Toby that it brings it a lot closer to home and to the forefront of your mind.

Having said that I will still be terrified when my boys fly and clinging onto that sentence like nobody's
I know if a cat escaped there would be little or no chance of it even being found

Here is my own piece of ginger whose future is still undecided.
Attached Thumbnails Dog killed by plane at Canberra-g2.jpg  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Jools
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Sam he's lovely! Looks like a big soft "rub my belly so i can grab your hand" boy

When I can work out how to post piccies will put one on of our boys - one spotty, one marble bengal. Pair of fruitloops bless em.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:22 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB
There are 2 types of crate -the wooden ones or the plastic with heavy steel door (the latter being more expensive).

Is it the wooden ones that keep breaking I wonder as I would have thought the plastic more durable and less likely to split.

I would like to know as I would like to make my decision based on whichever is strongest (as Im sure we all would)

Anyone know??
i read somewhere that the wooden crates are generally better for transporting as they are made specifically to fit the animal - whereas the plastic crates you get one of a range of standard sizes. Apparently your animal is less likely to be injured in a crate of exactly the right size (enough room to stand but not move around too much).

no idea if they are more likely to split though
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:32 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.petcentreonline.co.uk/eco...tegory~115.htm

these folks might know?

Looking around the Sky Kennels look fairly sturdy.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I know if a cat escaped there would be little or no chance of it even being found

Here is my own piece of ginger whose future is still undecided.
It's not much comfort, but if a cat did escape it is much better equipped to survive than most dogs. Cats can go feral or latch onto a soft human. Dogs are usually dependant on humans for food etc. Poor Toby.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fly Away
It's not much comfort, but if a cat did escape it is much better equipped to survive than most dogs. Cats can go feral or latch onto a soft human. Dogs are usually dependant on humans for food etc. Poor Toby.
Have to say i have made the decision not to ship either of our pets ( 1 cat 1 dog)
So sad about Toby, but a small consolation is knowing what happened to him. I have had 2 of my beloved cats disappear and its heart breaking not knowing what has happened to them.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:35 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black cat
Have to say i have made the decision not to ship either of our pets ( 1 cat 1 dog)
So sad about Toby, but a small consolation is knowing what happened to him. I have had 2 of my beloved cats disappear and its heart breaking not knowing what has happened to them.
Have to concur. I don't think I will be taking our cat. Aside from the cost there is just so much to worry about that I don't think all of it is worth it. I'm not sure how I will be able to part with my cat but I will just have to.

I read this articule on the ABC site today and thought - apart from the Toby case - how many more cases are there that we don't know about. Very few of these cases will have been reported through the media so I think it's difficult to say it is so rare. How would we know that?

Hey black cat - just saw you on another forum. Though I recognised your eyes.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Have to concur. I don't think I will be taking our cat. Aside from the cost there is just so much to worry about that I don't think all of it is worth it. I'm not sure how I will be able to part with my cat but I will just have to.

I read this articule on the ABC site today and thought - apart from the Toby case - how many more cases are there that we don't know about. Very few of these cases will have been reported through the media so I think it's difficult to say it is so rare. How would we know that?

Hey black cat - just saw you on another forum. Though I recognised your eyes.
Yep i put it about abit! I was shocked by an article in a canberra newspaper, I too get the feeling that alot of incompetence goes on, not sure I'd trust any of them as far as could throw them!
http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/det...tory_id=567902
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:12 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing that - desperate isn't it - and they really couldn't give a toss.

Should you not therefore announce your arrival in Canberra? Best to let everyone know when you are landing so they can lock up their OH's....
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by killamarsh
I remember seeing that - desperate isn't it - and they really couldn't give a toss.

Should you not therefore announce your arrival in Canberra? Best to let everyone know when you are landing so they can lock up their OH's....
It was the deciding factor for me- these latest horrors just reconfirm my decision!
Perhaps I'll become a house cat and not go out so much, or perhaps my OH will get me a collar and lead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.