Dog Insurance

Old May 26th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default Dog Insurance

We are collecting our new puppy in a couple of weeks and as first time dog owners I was wondering about getting dog insurance.

Does anyone have it? Are vet fees high (I expect so!) that I will need it? Can you recommend any companies/plans?

Thanks

Galba
Old May 26th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dog Insurance

Originally Posted by galba
We are collecting our new puppy in a couple of weeks and as first time dog owners I was wondering about getting dog insurance.

Does anyone have it? Are vet fees high (I expect so!) that I will need it? Can you recommend any companies/plans?

Thanks

Galba
We use petplan. Costs us $27 a month and we have had to claim a few times as our dog developed skin complaints. No problems whatsoever, paid out each time. The only thing is you have to pay the vet first and then claim the money back but they have always paid out within 7-10 days.
Tracie
Old May 26th 2008, 11:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galba

Thanks

Galba
I took my new pup to the vet last week and it cost me $95 for the consultation, an antibiotic jab and 6 days of tablets. Not sure if that is pricey or not, nothing to compare it too as I have never owned a dog before. Will lookinto petplan though. Thanks Tracey.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Pet Plan is one of the best by far.
Old May 26th 2008, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
I took my new pup to the vet last week and it cost me $95 for the consultation, an antibiotic jab and 6 days of tablets. Not sure if that is pricey or not, nothing to compare it too as I have never owned a dog before. Will lookinto petplan though. Thanks Tracey.
We had paid less then $100 in premiums and claimed over $2000 in vets fees in our first few months with them. I thought the fees would go up when it was time to renew but they didn't
Remember though that insurance doesn't usually cover things like inoculations and there will be a excess charge as well. Ours is $200 I think but you can have that reduced by paying a slightly higher fee.
Tracie
Old May 26th 2008, 7:15 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movin2melbourne
Pet Plan is one of the best by far.
Another vote for PetPlan here...
Old May 27th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DrWho
Another vote for PetPlan here...
thanks everone!

I've had a look at Petplan and they seem to be the only ones that pay out in full minus 1 single excess of say $50 or $100 - the others seem to be 80% payouts.

Galba
Old May 27th 2008, 2:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I paid about $550 for RSPCA insurance, we've submitted about 5 invoices but only had two (patially) paid. They didn't cover a lot of the things my dog got, like mange. They did cover the expensive one though - when he ate rat poison.

I expect I'll be going for Petplan next year.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:53 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Hope Duke is feeling better
We've got 2 dogs and hadn't thought abouut insurance for them, will take a look at pet plan.