Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dog has high lepto blood test, panic!!

dog has high lepto blood test, panic!!

Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough
Default dog has high lepto blood test, panic!!

Hi
Has anyone experienced there dog having a high lepto reading on blood test. He is going for a second blood test on Tuesday, if it is the same or lower we are ok, but if it is higher we have been told he can't go. I can't leave him behind. Anyone have any advice or experienced this problem.

Clare
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dog has high lepto blood test, panic!!

Ohhh yes. Our dog failed (was posistive) for lepto and had to be retested on xmas eve! Then the special delivery was a day late (it all goes wrong at once doesn't it).
We had to make sure we didn't take her out for any walks for a week before the second test, as it can be in puddles etc apparently. It was very hard, but worth it as her levels had not got any higher.

DON'T PANICK!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to say, our dog had not had the lepto vaccine for about 4 years, so we know she picked it up rather than being left over lepto from jabs. They just want to know that it is the immune system fighting it off, rather than actually getting lepto, which is why they can still go if the level is the same or less.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that but can't help but worry. Do you know if he can keep being re-tested if the second test is higher or is that the end.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Badger Brock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Clare, How did the next blood test go? Hope everything was okay. My little dog failed her first test last week and is on a course of pills, with another test booked for Friday. I was interested to read the comment about keeping the dog in and not walking them. Maybe I shall walk her round the streets rather than the river where we usually go till she has had her tests. Nobody seems to be able to tell me how many attempts you get., its a nightmare!
Veronica
Old Oct 5th 2008, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Veronica
My dog's second test came back even higher which was a real nightmare. Golden Arrow shipper told us to get him back down to the vet's for another test, it came back the same as the first test so he was ok to travel, so he is now at Golden Arrow kennels waiting for his flight on Tuesday.

About walking your dog, don't walk along river banks or wet soil as the disease is spread by rats.

Let me know how you get on.

Clare
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi Clare
Good luck with Tuesday, hope the dog gets off okay.
Would like to say how helpful your message on another thread was about the dog walking service that go into the quarantine stations. Its such a relief as it was going to cost me an arm and a leg to stay nearby so i could visit, and I was dreading the visits as my dog gets so anxious. So a friendly stranger will be much easier for her to cope with. Wheeeew. You will probably be out of action for a while with the move coming up, but will let you know my dog's next results hopefully next week.
Thanks.
Veronica
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Veronica
Pleased to hear that the website will be helpful, the lady running the the dog walking business is called Karen and she has been really helpful. Mitch our dog lands on Thursday in Sydney and she is orgainising a special visit on Friday. They also put pictures on there website so you can see how they are getting on.
Keep me informed how you get on. We fly next Tuesday so now a bit scary, we are heading to Townsville where are you heading?

Clare x
Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi Clare,
Im heading to Sydney, on the way to the Blue Mountains. I am having a little "relocatable" home built on a resort site over the road from the Nepean River. It was the most suitable place for the dog really. I couldnt afford to be beachside! Townsville looks a lovely place, I bet Mitch will love the beach. Are you renting at first or have you somewhere to go straight away? My daughter is in Sydney with her family and has been a great help. My computer and other stuff is being taken by the removers on 22 Oct (boo hoo the day the dog was meant to fly) so I will have to use the computer at the library, but I will stay in touch to see how you get on, and especially how the Dog Walker gets on.

You'll be fine, the end of the tunnel is in sight, keeping my fingers crossed for you.
regards, Veronica
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:08 pm

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fingers crossed for you too , hope its all ok for you it myust be a nightmare xx
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:59 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steveclare
Hi
Has anyone experienced there dog having a high lepto reading on blood test. He is going for a second blood test on Tuesday, if it is the same or lower we are ok, but if it is higher we have been told he can't go. I can't leave him behind. Anyone have any advice or experienced this problem.

Clare
How much were your blood test lab testing charges, just paid £174
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
we had to have 3 blood tests done and also another blood test for rabies so he could have a pet passport it cost £300, so must really love him. He is flying to Oz as we speak lands in Sydney in an hour.

Clare
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:17 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steveclare
Hi
we had to have 3 blood tests done and also another blood test for rabies so he could have a pet passport it cost £300, so must really love him. He is flying to Oz as we speak lands in Sydney in an hour.

Clare
Hope your dog had a good flight and settles into quarantine, please keep the updates coming as to how he gets on!