Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dog emigrating permit and time scales

dog emigrating permit and time scales

Old Feb 6th 2007, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

UK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the rough
Smile dog emigrating permit and time scales

Hi, we are hoping to get a visa to go to Australia and we are about a couple of weeks away from submitting out TRA and my husband’s profession is on the MODL list.

We have a dog (Golden Retriever) and we shall be taking her with us. I have read the immigration procedure for dogs which I must say seems very complicated and a little daunting.

From peoples’ experiences at what stage should I apply for the dog permit and start the ball rolling with our dog and how long will it take approximately, bearing in mind we need to sell our house but will rent it out if necessary.
We are planning to put her at the Eastern creek kennels in Sydney and we will be visiting her as much as possible.
Thanks Tracey
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice
Default Re: dog emigrating permit and time scales

not sure I can answer your question directly, but I've read somewhere that there is something like a 5 month waiting list for quarantine. In terms of the permit I'm not sure if it has a date when it ceases to be valid, but I've read somewhere in previous threads that it can be faxed through if time is short.

would suggest doing a search on the forums

hth
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

I was reading through the paperwork the other day and I think I remember reading that the import permit lasts 9 months (but don't quote me on that). I think you have to have an import permit before you can book the quarantine, which at the moment they are suggesting you do five months in advance

We're just getting ourselves sorted with the dogs as well, and I have to agree it does seem daunting.

Dolly
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice

I know what you mean, all the paperwork and then this that and the other has to be done a certain time before etc. I think that if you haven't already contacted some of the companies that ship pets then you could ask them (e.g. golden arrow, air pets, etc) as a lot of these companies guide you through the whole process and get all the documentation straightened out (it's costly though).
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

UK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all the replies I did a bit of research and I downloaded the emigration requirements from the AUSTRALIAN QUARANTINE AND INSPECTION SERVICE (AQIS) website

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...ntType=outputs

and the only box I could tick was the microchip one the rest went over my head, so much too do/not do and in certain time frames. I did read some where on another thread that the shipping agents send you a list of when to do everything.

I think I will wait until we put the house up for sale and then apply for the permit, we've not even submitted our TRA yet so I guess I've got a couple of months.

What with the application, the dog application, selling the house stuff, decorating and finishing the house and trying to work as well. I need a rest if we get to Brisbane and I will take a long holiday after we have found a place to live, a car, organise daughters school, help husband find a job, check dog every day for ticks etc.

However all of the above and I can't wait to go, nag hubby everyday to finish TRA application so we can submit it.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

cathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
I was reading through the paperwork the other day and I think I remember reading that the import permit lasts 9 months (but don't quote me on that). I think you have to have an import permit before you can book the quarantine, which at the moment they are suggesting you do five months in advance

We're just getting ourselves sorted with the dogs as well, and I have to agree it does seem daunting.

Dolly
Hi,

I get a bit confused about this 5 month wating list for export.
I exported a puppy last year to an Oz breeder. The pup was 8 weeks old when she decided that yes she wanted him. He left us in the UK at 13 weeks old , was at Eastern Creek before going on to Tassie where he lives now. It was visiting him last Oct that set us on our quest to emigrate. (incidentally he sailed through the whole experience and thinks he is invincible!)
We will be taking 2 dogs with us. I am trying to only think of one thing at a time at the mo otherwise I think I will get bigged down by everything that has to be done!
Am awating a skill assessment deom ANMC at the mo, then will go for it!

Cathy
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:56 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK_2_OZ
Thanks for all the replies I did a bit of research and I downloaded the emigration requirements from the AUSTRALIAN QUARANTINE AND INSPECTION SERVICE (AQIS) website...
The Import Permit is good for 6 months... There are 3 quarantine stations in Oz - Perth, Melbourne and Sydney (Eastern Creek)... As of 2 months ago when we got our Staffies Eastern Creek had no waiting list for dogs... Eastern Creek is a huge facility, much larger than the ones at Perth and Melbourne which definitely do have a waiting list...
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rodders39
The Import Permit is good for 6 months... There are 3 quarantine stations in Oz - Perth, Melbourne and Sydney (Eastern Creek)... As of 2 months ago when we got our Staffies Eastern Creek had no waiting list for dogs... Eastern Creek is a huge facility, much larger than the ones at Perth and Melbourne which definitely do have a waiting list...
Thanks for the info, although I think at this stage with visa applications, dog applications, vaccinations etc etc etc and when to book this that and the other, I may be going into meltdown

Dolly