Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dog dental problems. Vet recommendations?

dog dental problems. Vet recommendations?

Old May 3rd 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default dog dental problems. Vet recommendations?

I have just discovered my dog has two rotten back teeth. They are black and rotting at the gum. Obviously a trip to the vet's is in order. It has got me wondering what they do if the roots don't come out. Do vets drill like dentists?

Also I don't have a lot of confidence in the vet I took her to locally for her boosters. I got an appointment immediately, and there was no one else in the surgery. The booster cost $360. Maybe this is why there was no one else there. Is this an average price in Aus? When we were in NSW I don't remember the prices being anything like that, but it was a few years back.

If anyone can recommend a vets within an hour or so of Gympie I will be a bit happier.
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:22 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dog dental problems. Vet recommendations?

Originally Posted by quercus
I have just discovered my dog has two rotten back teeth. They are black and rotting at the gum. Obviously a trip to the vet's is in order. It has got me wondering what they do if the roots don't come out. Do vets drill like dentists?

Also I don't have a lot of confidence in the vet I took her to locally for her boosters. I got an appointment immediately, and there was no one else in the surgery. The booster cost $360. Maybe this is why there was no one else there. Is this an average price in Aus? When we were in NSW I don't remember the prices being anything like that, but it was a few years back.

If anyone can recommend a vets within an hour or so of Gympie I will be a bit happier.
$360 for a booster????? I am hoping that you came away with flea treatments, heartworm treatments for that price although even so that is extortionate.

Hope someone can help you though. We have been quite lucky with our vet in Perth, but it is a worry trying to find someone decent.
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

It did include heart worm.

I will have to check the other vet in town. I know they do horses but maybe they do small animals as well.
Old May 4th 2009, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

It did include heart worm.

I will have to check the other vet in town. I know they do horses but maybe they do small animals as well.
Boosters normally cost around $75-$90, double this for proheart (Heartworm), plus you may pay $30 for a heartworm blood test if required. If you got advocate etc for worming and fleas then it could have come to this but then you wouldn't have needed the proheart, so I think you were definitly done!! Removing teeth requires a general anaesthetic, (I hate to think how much your vet would charge for that!!!!!). If they are really rotten they will probably come out quite easily but if not then vets have a full range of dental equipment including drills/burrs etc. They usually clean and polish all teeth in a dental proceedure as a matter of course. I have been a vet nurse for over 20 years and here it is done very much the same as in the UK. If your dog is over 7 also be aware that they will probably request to place them on fluids as well. Some vets do this for all no matter what their age as it helps support the circulation during the anaesthetic and aids recovery. I would recommend it and wouldn't have any of my dogs done without it, but it will put about $100 onto most bills.
Old May 4th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

It cost me $250 to have the cats teeth cleaned recently. Its about the same for the dogs as well as I have had them done, could be more expensive depending how many teeth they take out. One of my dogs long gone now had 26 teeth removed.

Our vet charges about $80 for a booster shot.
Old May 5th 2009, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks for those useful replies. I was asking around at Lions last night. One guy with two dogs of 11 years has never taken them to a vets! Someone else recommended the other vet in town so i'm calling in there today to check it out. I will also ask for a quote in advance. It seems stingy when a pet is possibly suffering (although she's certainly not off her grub!), but I would rather take her out of town than to someone unscrupulous.

My girl will no doubt need the fluids as shes 12.

Q
Old May 5th 2009, 2:57 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartinis
Boosters normally cost around $75-$90, double this for proheart (Heartworm), plus you may pay $30 for a heartworm blood test if required. If you got advocate etc for worming and fleas then it could have come to this but then you wouldn't have needed the proheart, so I think you were definitly done!! Removing teeth requires a general anaesthetic, (I hate to think how much your vet would charge for that!!!!!). If they are really rotten they will probably come out quite easily but if not then vets have a full range of dental equipment including drills/burrs etc. They usually clean and polish all teeth in a dental proceedure as a matter of course. I have been a vet nurse for over 20 years and here it is done very much the same as in the UK. If your dog is over 7 also be aware that they will probably request to place them on fluids as well. Some vets do this for all no matter what their age as it helps support the circulation during the anaesthetic and aids recovery. I would recommend it and wouldn't have any of my dogs done without it, but it will put about $100 onto most bills.

I am a bit unsure of the pro heart injection - I dont know why, probably because I dont know enough about it.

My vet said she also doesnt like giving a dog this either - one dose for the whole year (she didnt elaborate on that just gave her opinion).

My kelpie has the chewable tablets and we keep an eye on his weight - last month he was 21kgs and now his is just over 22kgs so needs the next size up.

I shall see what they charge for my cat Gordon's booster, he just has flu and not FeLV vaccine.

$300 - my god that is alot of money.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

I have made an appointment for her dental check up tomorrow. This other office is comfortingly busy, so maybe they are ok. It's $52 for check up and between $200-400 for clean and scale plus $100 upwards for each tooth removed. No fluids were mentioned but I will know more tomorrow. At those prices Petals, you may have needed a mortgage to pay for your dog who had 26 teeth removed!

I think I will try to clean and scale them myself. It's a real struggle with her as she doesn't like it at the best of times. I can do the front ones ok but the big rear molars are tricky to get to. (hence the rot)

I asked about the booster and the one they give is every three years. I didn't get what it costs. Maybe that is the expensive one the other vet gave. Anually they give nose drops for kennel cough and a heart worm jab which cost $150 together.

I was told the heart worm injection is cheaper than monthly pills. Obviously if there is doubt about how well it works then I may have to rethink that for next year.
Old May 5th 2009, 11:53 am

I have made an appointment for her dental check up tomorrow. This other office is comfortingly busy, so maybe they are ok. It's $52 for check up and between $200-400 for clean and scale plus $100 upwards for each tooth removed. No fluids were mentioned but I will know more tomorrow. At those prices Petals, you may have needed a mortgage to pay for your dog who had 26 teeth removed!

I think I will try to clean and scale them myself. It's a real struggle with her as she doesn't like it at the best of times. I can do the front ones ok but the big rear molars are tricky to get to. (hence the rot)

I asked about the booster and the one they give is every three years. I didn't get what it costs. Maybe that is the expensive one the other vet gave. Anually they give nose drops for kennel cough and a heart worm jab which cost $150 together.

I was told the heart worm injection is cheaper than monthly pills. Obviously if there is doubt about how well it works then I may have to rethink that for next year.

The heartworm jab is cheaper than the chewable tablets but I prefer the tablets as I can accurately give my puppy the right dose of tablet as I weigh him once a month so I know if he has to have this medicine, he will get the right dose.

He doesnt have the drops in the nose, just the vaccines.