Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

doesn't live here anymore!!!

doesn't live here anymore!!!

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 2:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: doesn't live here anymore!!!

Originally Posted by NickyC
Don't panic.

Your address will NOT be blacklisted if a former resident defaults on a loan.

The most commonly used Credit Bureau here (Veda) only keeps info on people. And they're matched via their Name, Date of Birth and Drivers Licence number. Addresses are of much lesser importance (because they know that people move ) whereas your date of Birth and Drivers Licence number rarely change.
Hence the reason that non-drivers are treated like weirdos
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
The clue's in the code. For instance, PNISXTNSN12 - is a tummy tuck and NORKSXPANSN38DD - is a nose job.

Hope this helps.
Had to think about that for a second
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: doesn't live here anymore!!!

Today we have had a traffic infringement notice AND a letter saying that the REGO hasnt been paid, both for the young girl that used to live here.

Using my initiative I found her on Facebook and sent her a message asking if she could let the department know her new address.

Cheeky bint sends me a reply asking me to forward on their mail!!!

what's wrong with paying the post office like most normal people....
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

In UK you can ask P/O to only deliver post to named people in house, ie you/spouse etc - worked well for us.

Maybe worth asking?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

think i will cos what with this and tax demands for people who havent lived her for four years i'm getting fed up of it....

thanks for the tip
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really behind the 'open it and see' idea. I thought it was an offence to open mail not addressed to you? Are these rules different in Australia? If the owner of that mail gets caught and denies any knowledge of this debt, you might be asked to provide the letters. If its opened, you could be counter sued. I'm only guessing here as I have no idea how it would work. We get misdirected mail all the time. Could never open it though. Even if its clearly from a previous tenant.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

TBH i dont look at who it's addressed to but assume if it's in our mailbox it's for us..... tough titty if they cant be arsed to sort out mail redirection.

from now on it's back in the post box with return to sender and let whoever it is do the hardwork.

I mean FFS if you've not lived somewhere for over 5 years cant you just let the tax office know?

Still, at least I have their address now if the police come round again looking for her!!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:26 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
If the owner of that mail gets caught and denies any knowledge of this debt, you might be asked to provide the letters. If its opened, you could be counter sued.
Absolutely not! In the UK you have no responsibility nor a liability for mail addressed to someone who previously lived at that address.

Gina
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Absolutely not! In the UK you have no responsibility nor a liability for mail addressed to someone who previously lived at that address.

Gina
Isn't unopened mail the property of the Queen? Or is it just mail in transit?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:11 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridie
anyone know what i can do about mail that keeps coming and coming for a previous resident? i have tried writing on it "no longer at this address" and sending it back but not sure it's doing any good.

bit concerned as they owe the ato over $6K and also have an outstanding car loan for which i've just had the statement for (over $9K) - they havent lived here for several years as they're not the people we bought the house off. did a quick white pages search and found a possible new address (it's a fairly unusual surname) but dont want to contact them myself.

rang ato and they said send back not at this address, fair enough, but is there more i can do to stop this?

A bit off track, the first electricity bill we got in our rental, had an account of over $2,000 added for someone who had the same name as OH. We had to prove that we weren't in Australia at the time the bill was for, before they would accept that we were not liable to pay it.

When we bought our house, we got calls from this same guy's granny insisting that I let her speak to her grandson, (she got our number from 'directory enquiries').

Even though I kept trying to tell her that my OH wasn't her grandson because he wasn't Australian, and was a different age group, she kept insisting that I couldn't possibly be married to her grandson, because he was single.

Once she told me her grandson's partner's name, I realised that she had a phone, (guy is obviously hiding from his old bills). I told the old lady the number so she could get in touch with her grandson. I actually kept a note of the number because this poor old confused lady still calls me occasionally, and the grandson's partner has now had her telephone number removed from the book.

Nice people!

M
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Isn't unopened mail the property of the Queen? Or is it just mail in transit?
No wonder she's worth a fortune if she keeps stealing money out of birthday cards
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
A bit off track, the first electricity bill we got in our rental, had an account of over $2,000 added for someone who had the same name as OH. We had to prove that we weren't in Australia at the time the bill was for, before they would accept that we were not liable to pay it.

When we bought our house, we got calls from this same guy's granny insisting that I let her speak to her grandson, (she got our number from 'directory enquiries').

Even though I kept trying to tell her that my OH wasn't her grandson because he wasn't Australian, and was a different age group, she kept insisting that I couldn't possibly be married to her grandson, because he was single.

Once she told me her grandson's partner's name, I realised that she had a phone, (guy is obviously hiding from his old bills). I told the old lady the number so she could get in touch with her grandson. I actually kept a note of the number because this poor old confused lady still calls me occasionally, and the grandson's partner has now had her telephone number removed from the book.

Nice people!

M
That was a bit unlucky! Same name ! Did have a little "awww" moment reading about the Granny not believing that you were the wife as her grandson was single! LOL!

Em x
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emelems
That was a bit unlucky! Same name ! Did have a little "awww" moment reading about the Granny not believing that you were the wife as her grandson was single! LOL!

Em x

You're obviously a nice person! I was appalled that the Grandson had not let his Granny know where he was. I try to be as gentle with her as I can, while trying to explain that my OH is not her grandson even though his name is the same. Poor old duck, I would never have done that to my Granny, and hope that my children's children will never feel the need to to it to me,

Mxxx
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:28 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Just be glad it's only mail you are getting!

I had a rude awakening this past weekend at 8.30am (WELL before my normal waking time) by a bashing on the door downstairs. We tried to ignore it, knowing that no one we know would bother coming around that early, but the banging didn't stop. So I throw on the robe and stumble downstairs to find an irate woman outside asking for 'Susan so-and-so' Thankfully I remember seeing mail for her husband and tell the woman that we have lived there for 3 months and they were previous residents. Seems that Susan had left her 'previous' address as her forwarding address for the huge bills that she left her flatmate in the lurch with - nice woman!

Meanwhile I won't be bothering to send any mail on from now on. It people can't be bothered, why should I!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

If their loan is from the CBA expect a Field Agent out to the house

The address will not be credit listed, as said above the credit file here is done by names, DOB and drivers licence number.

The worst that can happen is you will get letters or a field agent will come out from the bank (CBA do it), that’s basically someone coming out looking for the debtor, they will knock on the door, as for the debtor, obviously it won’t be you, explain that they don’t live there and the agent will leave – this usually causes the bank to change/remove the address.

If it’s really really annoying you, you just need to call the company that is sending them and advise them unless they stop you will put in a complaint to the ombudsman (this will cause them to remove the address straight away) .

Personally, I’d just throw the mail in the bin (after you’ve opened it and had a sneak peak of course).

Mikey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.