Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does a real estate agent have to provide proof of an offer on a house?

Does a real estate agent have to provide proof of an offer on a house?

Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

jondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does a real estate agent have to provide proof of an offer on a house?

Hi all,

We've found a house we like in Leichhardt, Sydney. It was advertised at
offers above $575,000. We ordered the contract from the agent for the solicitor to look over (Monday this week). Then the day after the agent rang and said there was an offer on it of $620k and that vendor was thinking of accepting.

Up until now the vendor hasn't accepted and the house was open on Wed night and is this Sat. Should I believe this agent (I think they're all full of shit) and can I ask to have proof of this offer via e-mail / in writing? Basically, how I can I find out if this 'offer' is real and not just some made up number to get us to pay over the odds?

Thanks,

Jon
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:07 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does a real estate agent have to provide proof of an offer on a house?

Good Question.

Have you spoke to :

the agent and asked them?
your solicitor and asked them?

had a look at real estate association thingymybob
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Does a real estate agent have to provide proof of an offer on a house?

I have e-mailed the agent and they haven't responded...which makes me suspicious.

No I haven't spoken to the settlement agent...I will try that.

Basically, I'm not willing to accept the word of an estate agent...I want proof, especially when it's such a large amount of money. The whole Aussie market seems to be surrounded by stories of real estate agents doing anything to get the price up.

Jon
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to remember the agent works for the seller not for you. I don't believe you would have any right to demand to see proof of the offer. How do you know the seller has not accepted the offer of $620k. If it is a tactic to get the price up, well that's his job. If you feel the real estate agent is playing games it's probably time for you to walk away if you don't want to participate.

It is possible that an acceptable offer has been made and the sale is pending until the contracts have been signed and the cooling off period has expired. Until the last two have happened the seller and his agent may leave the property advertised as available, which is exactly what I would expect my agent to do.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:19 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jondon
I have e-mailed the agent and they haven't responded...which makes me suspicious.

No I haven't spoken to the settlement agent...I will try that.

Basically, I'm not willing to accept the word of an estate agent...I want proof, especially when it's such a large amount of money. The whole Aussie market seems to be surrounded by stories of real estate agents doing anything to get the price up.

Jon
We were faced with similar dilemma on a property we wanted to put a contract on.

The price began to go vertically, soon as we expressed an interest...

Then all sorts of ppl came out of the woodwork, apparently making offers, putiing in contracts etc..

I said to the agent.. and this is no shit.

Mate as much as I dont play games with money and peoples homes, i dont expect ppl to play games with me. For some reason, this all doesnt smell right.. so I walked...

Now 6 weeks later, the agent has called me about 7 or 8 times, asking if we were prepared to put a contract on the property...

Each time, i diligantly, tell him.. when i walk away mate, i walk away..

So unless he comes clean,walk away.... or I personally would pop a letter in the owners mail box, saying that you wish to put an offer on their home, and understand that if they already have an interested party, that you apologise for the intrusion...however if they dont, then this is your offer, and willing to put a contract on it... etc etc

This will deffo make it very clear ... and with rapid response, you will find out IF there is a contract on this home !!!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:23 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi all,

offers above $575,000. We ordered the contract from the agent for the solicitor to look over (Monday this week). Then the day after the agent rang and said there was an offer on it of $620k and that vendor was thinking of accepting.

Up until now the vendor hasn't accepted and the house was open on Wed night and is this Sat. Should I believe this agent (I think they're all full of shit) and can I ask to have proof of this offer via e-mail / in writing? Basically, how I can I find out if this 'offer' is real and not just some made up number to get us to pay over the odds?

Thanks,

Jon
As far as i'm aware, agents are not allowed to tell you how much others have offered on a property.
So this would cause me to think he is pulling a swift one and trying to make you pay alot more than the so-called offer.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:26 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thanks,

Jon
The agent is NOT allowed to tell you what the offer is.

They can tell you that they've had an offer... and if you offer on it too, they can tell you that your offer is lower than the one they've got, but it is against the law for them to tell you what the actual offer is.

You need to contact the OFT in NSW and speak to them. The agent is contravening The Property, Stock and Business Agents Act and this is not on. The fines are large and he could lose his license.

Here's a link to the Real estate section where you can get some more info.
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/re...terenting.html

You might just like to mention the PSBA act which will suitably put the shits up him and he'll suddenly become like putty in your hands unless of course, he's a total toss pot.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
As far as i'm aware, agents are not allowed to tell you how much others have offered on a property.
So this would cause me to think he is pulling a swift one and trying to make you pay alot more than the so-called offer.
I would tend to agree. and also with previous poster..

the agent is contracted by the seller.. and so protects their interests...

However, most straight agents would indicate that an offer beginning with a 7 is on the table ( example ) and that would be about their limit... in divulging info..
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
The agent is NOT allowed to tell you what the offer is.

They can tell you that they've had an offer... and if you offer on it too, they can tell you that your offer is lower than the one they've got, but it is against the law for them to tell you what the actual offer is.

You need to contact the OFT in NSW and speak to them. The agent is contravening The Property, Stock and Business Agents Act and this is not on. The fines are large and he could lose his license.

Here's a link to the Real estate section where you can get some more info.
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/re...terenting.html

You might just like to mention the PSBA act which will suitably put the shits up him and he'll suddenly become like putty in your hands unless of course, he's a total toss pot.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sounds iffy huh !!! good advice...

the word GAZZUMP springs to mind on this 1
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Sounds iffy huh !!! good advice...

the word GAZZUMP springs to mind on this 1
There may well have been an offer... but he's not allowed to say what it is.

The onus of proof is on the agent to show the offer he's mentioned is genuine. It's not for the buyer to prove the offer if they doubt it...

The OFT should be involved. He's breaking the law.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

However, most straight agents would indicate that an offer beginning with a 7 is on the table ( example ) and that would be about their limit... in divulging info..

No, they can't even do that. They can divulge nothing, nada, zip.

They need to shut the hell up and say 'We've had another offer on that property which is higher than the one you've presented. What would you like to do?'

The buyer can say for example 'I'm still offering the lower amount but I'll sign contracts tomorrow and I'm ready to move and want a fast settlement'...

Or the buyer could demand proof of the offer ...

Or the buyer could raise the amount he's offering...
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

All very interesting guys...just to add one point...

The house is for auction but the owner is willing to sell prior. The agent did say a specific offer for the place (ie, 620k) had been put forward and that the vendor would probably act on that. That seems to be breaking the law.

It's my understanding that if the vendor accepts, the sale is still bound by the terms of an auction ie, a 10% deposit has to be paid immediately and contracts signed immediately. This hasn't happened and I was told that the vendor hadn't accepted the offer.

One final point, a townhouse opposite in the same small complex sold for 580k 3 weeks ago...Although this one is a bit bigger I'm not sure it's 40-50k bigger!!

I may just see if it goes to auction. And see how genuine this 'offer' is.

Jon
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:46 am

All very interesting guys...just to add one point...

The house is for auction but the owner is willing to sell prior. The agent did say a specific offer for the place (ie, 620k) had been put forward and that the vendor would probably act on that. That seems to be breaking the law.

It's my understanding that if the vendor accepts, the sale is still bound by the terms of an auction ie, a 10% deposit has to be paid immediately and contracts signed immediately. This hasn't happened and I was told that the vendor hadn't accepted the offer.

One final point, a townhouse opposite in the same small complex sold for 580k 3 weeks ago...Although this one is a bit bigger I'm not sure it's 40-50k bigger!!

I may just see if it goes to auction. And see how genuine this 'offer' is.

Jon
No doubt he's a coniving pain in the arse Jon.

Good luck.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
No doubt he's a coniving pain in the arse Jon.

Good luck.

He's an estate agent - it goes without saying...

S
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

I just rang the OFT and they told me that the agent IS allowed to tell me what the offer is. But not allowed to divulge who it's from. It's totally up to them if they tell the buyer what the other offer is. Mmmmm. I asked what if I had suspicions that the offer might not be genuine, they told me the estate agent had to remain truthful at all time - yeah right!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.