Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does my son need to have more than 6 mths left on his passport at time of travel?

Does my son need to have more than 6 mths left on his passport at time of travel?

Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of
Default Does my son need to have more than 6 mths left on his passport at time of travel?

Hello All

We have booked a holiday/reccie to Sydney flying with Emirates in October 08? We also booked our holiday visas over the telephone with Emirates. I explained at the time that my son's passport was due to expire in Feb 09 and was told that there was no problem. However I've since been told by a travel agent that he needs to have at least 6 months left on his passport at time of travel as otherwise it could cause problems. I've been on the Australian immigration site and there is nothing to suggest that this is the case.

Can anyone help please? Have I been given wrong information? Am I best just to renew his passport now, and get a new electronic holiday visa?

Cheers
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:09 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all
Default Re: Does my son need to have more than 6 mths left on his passport at time of travel?

Hi Yes this is true

I believe I saw this somewhere when we were in Australia

Carol Ritchie

We have booked a holiday/reccie to Sydney flying with Emirates in October 08? We also booked our holiday visas over the telephone with Emirates. I explained at the time that my son's passport was due to expire in Feb 09 and was told that there was no problem. However I've since been told by a travel agent that he needs to have at least 6 months left on his passport at time of travel as otherwise it could cause problems. I've been on the Australian immigration site and there is nothing to suggest that this is the case.

Can anyone help please? Have I been given wrong information? Am I best just to renew his passport now, and get a new electronic holiday visa?

Cheers[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does my son need to have more than 6 mths left on his passport at time of travel?

Originally Posted by Mazza12
Hello All

Cheers
Only if you are having a stopover en route in somewhere like SIngapore that requires more than 6 months validity. If you are flying direct UK - Aus with only the normal transit stop to change planes, then you will be fine.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Only if you are having a stopover en route in somewhere like SIngapore that requires more than 6 months validity. If you are flying direct UK - Aus with only the normal transit stop to change planes, then you will be fine.
Thanks for your reply Pollyana. We are flying Glasgow to Dubai where we are given a complimentary room in a nearby hotel as there is a gap of about 8 hours before the connecting flight from Dubai to Sydney. Do you know if in this instance we would still be ok?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply Pollyana. We are flying Glasgow to Dubai where we are given a complimentary room in a nearby hotel as there is a gap of about 8 hours before the connecting flight from Dubai to Sydney. Do you know if in this instance we would still be ok?
Depends on whether:

1. you need to go through immigration control; and

2. if yes, does Dubai insist on at least 6 months validity.

Maybe easier to renew the passport in the U.K. anyway.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:54 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

I was looking on the Foreign Office UAE travel page yesterday and it states that a passport must be valid for 6 months after the date of departure from the UAE, so presumably this is applicable to the majority of countries.

Not sure how long you will be in OZ for but your son will definitely have less than that on your return trip.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all your replies. Decided just to renew the passport and then get a new electronic holiday visa for him just to be on the safe side. Don't want any hassles at the airports!