Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does my passport need to be submitted?

Does my passport need to be submitted?

Old Jun 21st 2002, 9:58 am
Just Joined

izzyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does my passport need to be submitted?

Hi,
Does my passport need to be submitted with my PR visa application? Not sure - it is unclear to me whether originals should be sent. This applies to my birth certificate too.
Can I assume that if I submit originals in terms of passports and birth certificates that these will be returned to me?
Nearly have everything ready now, just waiting for the flaming police check!
Hope to submit my PR visa application next week!
Izzy
Old Jun 21st 2002, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does my passport need to be submitted?

Hello Izzy
No you don't need to submit your passport, just document the number on the application form. As for birth certificates etc, it tell you not to send originals, but to send certified copies of originals. Copies have to be certified by notary public, ie solicitor, or JP etc. my local solicitor charged me £10 to certify mine. Hope this helps, good luck with the application.
Sue
Old Jun 21st 2002, 11:41 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does my passport need to be submitted?

No originals should be sent, except the original skills assessment results (if you are applying via any of the Skilled streams).

Photocopies of documents, as Sue's pointed out, should be sighted/certified by someone who is recognized by law in your country of residence to do so. A lawyer or solicitor usually suffices.

If you intend to send originals, don't assume the documents will be returned to you, as DIMIA explicitly requests for only certified documents.

However, sometimes DIMIA requests for academic transcripts, IELTS results and so on to be transmitted to them directly (i.e. without your intervention), but if that's required, you will be informed by DIMIA along the way to make the arrangements with your university or IELTS testing centre.

If you are submitting the police and/or medical results with your application, you are required to submit the originals of those results as well.

Do not submit your original passport if you are applying for Skilled migration. The process takes months, and if you choose to submit your passport with your application, you won't be able to travel in the meantime.

Cheers,
Peter