Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does Melbourne weather suit you?

Does Melbourne weather suit you?

Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:42 am
ige
Forum Regular

ige is on a distinguished road
Default Does Melbourne weather suit you?

We moved here almost 4 years ago.
And my wife is always having headaches etc..as the weather changes very often in Melbourne.We sometimes feel kind of weak or bad and sometimes very ok.
Just curious if this affects other people etc..
Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Does Melbourne weather suit you?

Originally Posted by ige
And my wife is always having headaches etc..as the weather changes very often in Melbourne.We sometimes feel kind of weak or bad and sometimes very ok.
Thanks
If you have Gas or wood heaters then get the flues checked..... could be CO poisoning.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

It affects me, makes me feel great.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

No sir, it does not!

Last edited by spartacus; Nov 11th 2008 at 12:38 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ige
Thanks
Yes I would defo get yourself one of those carbon monoxide alarms - however the weather can really affect you too though. By the way people keep telling me that Melbourne's weather is not much better than the weather in the UK - ok I know it doesnt really freeze there - but its got to be better than lovely old Wigan hasnt it!!!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ige
Thanks
Could be a histamine problem-allergy of any sort,dust/pollen,etc
Try some of the antihistamines
Alzene
Polarmine

Melbourne is known as a bad hay fever area and
those symptoms are spot on for hay fever
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Suits me today! Very happy.

I myself prefer hot to cold and find the winters hard, not because it is cold outside but because it is so cold inside. The heating isn't good and expensive.

I would prefer if the weather was more consistant here, sometimes it is as bad as the UK for that chopping and changing!

My OH gets Migraines and two years running during May when a cold snap set in he had a 4 day one both times. I think it's to do with deep depressions triggering them.

There was one year in the UK when I had a week long headache and the doc said it was because a depression was sitting over the country - as soon as it moved off then so did the headache.

Some people are more sensitive to weather headaches and migraines.

Hope she feels better soon.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Like others have said it could be allergies. When the sun comes out everyone seems to be a lot happier, it was 36 degrees down here today so nearly reaching 100 and it's only spring.
My son has fainted a couple of times walking home from school in the heat so we have to pick him up on hot days now even though it's only at the bottom of the road. I am just glad I don't live where it's so hot all the time as it is great to have a cool day in between the heat
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all

Think the weather in Melbourne suits women better ....well they keep changing their mind like the weather
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
Yes I would defo get yourself one of those carbon monoxide alarms - however the weather can really affect you too though. By the way people keep telling me that Melbourne's weather is not much better than the weather in the UK - ok I know it doesnt really freeze there - but its got to be better than lovely old Wigan hasnt it!!!

Melbourne weather is definately better than UK. Warmer and much less rain. Today was 36 degrees, yesterday 32 degrees. You don't get that in UK in early May do you? Yes, it can be changeable but there are not that many grey, wet days here especially since the drought started 12 years ago.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:07 am
ige
Forum Regular

ige is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for the replies

Originally Posted by mulben
Alzene
Polarmine

Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:34 am
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Lots of people have problems when they get here first.
Can be the dry air, different food, different bugs, changeable weather.
But headaches could be sinus issues, which would be affected by the weather.
Could try taking a decongestant for a couple of days, if it works, then you know what the problem is, same goes with trying anti histamines to check for allergies.
Even try some stretching exercises to see if its tension related.
Then once you've figured out whats causing them, the trick to to see if you can resolve the issue WITHOUT constant medication. ( humidifier, avoidance of certain foods etc )

Other thing is, if you are feeling weak or nauseous sometimes, look at the food you are eating. Food intolerances make you feel like that, and the thing with those is its the AMOUNT you eat over a number of days that makes you ill, not just one exposure like allergies.
Try dropping wheat, dairy for the headaches, and next time you feel ill, write down everything you ate in the last 3 days that you didnt eat before that. Then if it happens again, you can see if something matches on the list.

I get more sinus issues here, but less hayfever, more food intolerances, less food allergies, its just a matter of readjusting your habits to cope with the new environment.

Oh, and my man used to get migraines, every 3 weeks, he'd be flat out for 1-2 days . Then he changed his glasses. Has only had 1 in the last 2 years.

PS: I'm not a dr, I'm only talking about whats worked for us, if the problem is really bad, i suggest you see a proper gp.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
Alzene
Polarmine

We really found this to be a problem when we visited last Xmas. OH has chronic hayfever and had suffered here all summer, only to be hit again on holiday - nightmare! We were told by a pharmacist that it is well known that Mornington (where we stayed) is the hayfever capital of Victoria. Don't know if it's true, but you can only speak as you find.