Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does Australia have laws against noise polloution?

Does Australia have laws against noise polloution?

Old May 8th 2008, 1:28 pm
Wannabe Aussie

DiamondGeezer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does Australia have laws against noise polloution?

Short preamble:

I have a neighbour who starts playing electric guitar at 10.15pm and its now nearly 11.30pm and he's still going

In the UK, there are laws to prevent noise after 11pm until the morning. Are there any similar laws in Australia or am I screwed?
Old May 8th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Australia have laws against noise polloution?

Contact your local council. You're in North Sydney council area?

http://www.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/ww...stic-noise.asp

(They're supposed to shut up between midnight and 8am. )
Old May 8th 2008, 2:33 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Does Australia have laws against noise polloution?

Originally Posted by DiamondGeezer
Short preamble:

I have a neighbour who starts playing electric guitar at 10.15pm and its now nearly 11.30pm and he's still going
Since we are repeatedly informed by certain British expats on this forum that all Australians are in bed by 9pm, I suggest you write a note to this effect and slip it under his door.

He'll then realise how silly he's been, and conform to the national standard.

Problem solved.

Old May 8th 2008, 10:02 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Does Australia have laws against noise polloution?

Originally Posted by DiamondGeezer
Short preamble:

In the UK, there are laws to prevent noise after 11pm until the morning. Are there any similar laws in Australia or am I screwed?
What is interesting to note is that here in Melbourne this would be a police matter and you would dial 000 (equivalent of 999) to request a car attend the scene. In the UK I seem to remember it is a council matter and they are pretty ineffective.

Buzzy
Old May 8th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
What is interesting to note is that here in Melbourne this would be a police matter and you would dial 000 (equivalent of 999) to request a car attend the scene. In the UK I seem to remember it is a council matter and they are pretty ineffective.

Buzzy
The police in brisbane certainly don't take much interest in this type of incident - they are allowed to confiscate equipment but that is as far as their powers go (prob same as UK) - it is a civil matter and i can tell you they won't be happy if you called 000 for an incident like this - as my OH had a workshop with a senior sergeant recently, and this subject was talked about, they find it one of their biggest waste of resources dealing with incidents like this and would much rather you knocked on his door and spoke to the person to resolve the issues.
Old May 8th 2008, 10:13 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Since we are repeatedly informed by certain British expats on this forum that all Australians are in bed by 9pm, I suggest you write a note to this effect and slip it under his door.

He'll then realise how silly he's been, and conform to the national standard.

Problem solved.

Why Vash, you know it's the lowest form....
Old May 9th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
The police in brisbane certainly don't take much interest in this type of incident - they are allowed to confiscate equipment but that is as far as their powers go (prob same as UK) - it is a civil matter and i can tell you they won't be happy if you called 000 for an incident like this - as my OH had a workshop with a senior sergeant recently, and this subject was talked about, they find it one of their biggest waste of resources dealing with incidents like this and would much rather you knocked on his door and spoke to the person to resolve the issues.
I think everyone would TRY and resolve the issues initially - however, usually easier said than done! We tried when we had band practice next door in our rental - almost every night and the volume was ridiculous. They just laughed at me and when OH went round, they surrounded him and told him to 'get off their f***ing land'. Nice.

The police were pretty good and came out every time I called - they get a couple of warnings and then start fining them $500 a time. The Council were also excellent and, in the end, found them a cricket club to practice in.
Old May 9th 2008, 3:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Why Vash, you know it's the lowest form....
but the highest form of intelligence
Old May 9th 2008, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

The police in brisbane certainly don't take much interest in this type of incident - they are allowed to confiscate equipment but that is as far as their powers go (prob same as UK) - it is a civil matter and i can tell you they won't be happy if you called 000 for an incident like this - as my OH had a workshop with a senior sergeant recently, and this subject was talked about, they find it one of their biggest waste of resources dealing with incidents like this and would much rather spend time lurking in bushes with speed cameras.
Tidied up for you.
Old May 9th 2008, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

in brissy you ring the council hotline, open 24 hours. had problem with noisy aircon of all things, council sorted it no probs.
Old May 9th 2008, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Tidied up for you.
Old May 9th 2008, 8:09 am
Wannabe Aussie

DiamondGeezer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NickyC
Contact your local council. You're in North Sydney council area?

http://www.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/ww...stic-noise.asp

(They're supposed to shut up between midnight and 8am. )
Actually I think we're in the Lane Cove council, not North Sydney.

But thanks anyway. He stopped at about 11.30pm.

I wanted to get to bed an hour earlier, but nooooo such luck.
Old May 9th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

The police in brisbane certainly don't take much interest in this type of incident ....
...or any other incident which requires *policing* i.e burglary, reckless driving, speeding, assaults, hooning etc etc

The only incident which would warrant an investigation would be Maccas selling out of cheeseburgers
Old May 9th 2008, 9:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We had the police around several times in Manly with deafening "music" at 1am, 2am and the rest only to be told that we shouldn't be living in Manly if we wanted to sleep!
Old May 9th 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

haha.~~..yeah ring the police!....many a time a when i was younger they would arrive at our door to tell us turn it down!..we got to know them quite well...nice fellas!......

of course it wouldnt' be a priority, by the time they get there it could be all over. wont 'be too happy then!