Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone work in the Oz TV industry?

Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice
Default Does anyone work in the Oz TV industry?

I work for Endemol (Big Brother, Fame Academy, Deal or No Deal etc) in UK, in a IT/technical role.

Where is the TV industry based? What are the wages like? Is it difficult to break into over there?
etc etc etc

Gaz
Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

jondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone work in the Oz TV industry?

Hi - I work in the TV industry over here...I've been in Sydney since Jan this year. I'm an Exec Producer / Series Producer and have been offered loads of work. The TV industry is based in Sydney and Melbourne. I live in Sydney and split my work between the 2 cities. At the moment I'm in Mel 3 days a week; 2 in Syd. Obviously your work is in a different side of the industry but all the TV companies (7,9,10,ABC) have bases in these cities. They also have smaller operations in the other capital cities.

I'm on a defacto visa and that isn't a problem to employers. To be honest they like people with UK TV experience.

Hope that helps,

Jon
Old Mar 29th 2007, 4:58 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jondon
To be honest they like people with UK TV experience.

Hope that helps,

Jon

Now why does that not surprise me.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:27 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Now why does that not surprise me.
Aye.

You'd have thought they wouldn't need much in the way of staff, since it essentially boils down to cueing up imported US TV shows every hour.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Ah that's a bit harsh - there's quite a bit of home grown TV here...On air at the moment is Dancing With The Stars, Australia's Got Talent, Biggest Loser, Bondi Rescue, BIg Brother's coming to name but a few. Agreed most channels do schedule like Sky One but at least Seven has some good American shows...
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:54 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Ah that's a bit harsh - there's quite a bit of home grown TV here...On air at the moment is Dancing With The Stars, Australia's Got Talent, Biggest Loser, Bondi Rescue, BIg Brother's coming to name but a few. Agreed most channels do schedule like Sky One but at least Seven has some good American shows...
Only vaguely original one's Bondi Rescue though - which I must admit is the highlight of my viewing week.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

I love Thank God You're Here on Ten...Best original show I've seen in ages (new series coming soon). I know the company that make it has sold the rights to USA and UK...
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:10 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'm also a sucker for Bondi rescue.

Can't see it taking off in UK though. Bournemouth rescue just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I hate Big Brother though, waste of money IMO.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:16 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

so even more rubbish
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Oops, I forgot about this thread!
Thanks for the replies.
Gaz
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:53 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

I worked on BB in Oz and I'm a Celebriity get me outta here. Reality work is good on Gold Coast - but I hated it. Gave it up and teach video production to dissadvantaged youths now and I am so much happier. I only had small roles anyway. Grananda were good wages and conditions, BB was AWFULL! I was AFM and Head Runner (they like to group jobs if they can get away with it!) Low end, I know. I got $15 per hour! (with a $50 a week bonus for Head R) I was a 2nd AD in UK. And I found I completely had to re-start from the runner end when I got here. Film work is really hard to get into unless you know people here. Lots of films and TV series being made here but even with one of the best Industry Agents (Essential Crew) I still found it improssible to break. But I have kids - so couldn't juggle the two anyway in the end. Don't know what it's like in UK but it's very corporate here. I hated the lies!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:58 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also a sucker for Bondi rescue.

Can't see it taking off in UK though. Bournemouth rescue just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I hate Big Brother though, waste of money IMO.
Most men are

Dripping wet women in bikini's needing rescuing

I'm just waiting for the scene where a real shark arrives and guys piss themselves with fright

The dorsal fin a "real leveller"
Old Aug 19th 2007, 3:41 pm
The Godfather

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Most men are

Dripping wet women in bikini's needing rescuing

I'm just waiting for the scene where a real shark arrives and guys piss themselves with fright

The dorsal fin a "real leveller"
BTW, stop giving your mobile phone to your daughter to play with. She can now press the buttons, I had a 5 min conversation with her the other day.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 7:38 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Does anyone work in the Oz TV industry?

More importantly, is there anyone who would admit to it?
Old Aug 19th 2007, 11:14 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, stop giving your mobile phone to your daughter to play with. She can now press the buttons, I had a 5 min conversation with her the other day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.