Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone in Perth have ducted evaporative air cooling?

Does anyone in Perth have ducted evaporative air cooling?

Old Jan 4th 2004, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone in Perth have ducted evaporative air cooling?

Perth's been intermittently hot enough to convince us to go for Air Con. Does anyone have ducted evaporative air cooling and if so, what have your experiences been? Would you recommend it? Any specific advice?

Best wishes

David
Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

devtrend is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Does anyone in Perth have ducted evaporative air cooling?

Originally posted by davidw
Perth's been intermittently hot enough to convince us to go for Air Con. Does anyone have ducted evaporative air cooling and if so, what have your experiences been? Would you recommend it? Any specific advice?

Best wishes

David
Hi I'm Controls/AC Engineer swampys (ducted evaporative air cooling) really do work well especially in places like perth with low humidity, wont work so well in Brisbane or tropical area because of the high humidity.
They work by spraying a mist of water through what looks like a honeycombe material with a fan fitted the water evaporating cools the air down much the same as when you sweat, so yes they are very economical compared to a standard DX unit. However I would recommend having them professionally cleaned when advised to do so if I were you due to nasty things such as legionella etc.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Does anyone in Perth have ducted evaporative air cooling?

Originally posted by devtrend
Hi I'm Controls/AC Engineer swampys (ducted evaporative air cooling) really do work well especially in places like perth with low humidity, wont work so well in Brisbane or tropical area because of the high humidity.
They work by spraying a mist of water through what looks like a honeycombe material with a fan fitted the water evaporating cools the air down much the same as when you sweat, so yes they are very economical compared to a standard DX unit. However I would recommend having them professionally cleaned when advised to do so if I were you due to nasty things such as legionella etc.
Thanks very much indeed, that's excellent advice, would you choose ducted over standard systems in Perth?

Apparently, the mobile evaporative's aren't much use?

David
Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

devtrend is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mate
You know how high the costsof electricity is here, so yes I would definitely recommend them
theres not much to go wrong in them which is also a big plus point worst that can happen is the fan can pack up or drain/water problem.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by devtrend
Hi Mate
You know how high the costsof electricity is here, so yes I would definitely recommend them
theres not much to go wrong in them which is also a big plus point worst that can happen is the fan can pack up or drain/water problem.
Thanks a million, really appreciate the advice!

Best wishes

David
Old Jan 4th 2004, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

For some odd reason the house I'm in has both ducted evaporative and reverse cycle air con.

Have to say the r/c is the most effective. Mainly use it for the heating though! Evaporative is far cheaper to install and run but on these humid days it isn't all that great. On the plus side, like devtrend says, there isn't much to go wrong with them.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

I've got it in a rental but I can't say its brilliant. It does take the edge off though.

nyone know how fast the flow of water should be, I've got the water nearly to the max without much effect.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:08 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nibbs
I've got it in a rental but I can't say its brilliant. It does take the edge off though.

nyone know how fast the flow of water should be, I've got the water nearly to the max without much effect.
Hey Nibbs, just a comment about the air cons we were talking about before xmas, I had the pleasure of experiencing the Daikin inverter system for a week over xmas, was excellent, extremely efficient & quiet. Whoever recommended it to you was right, its good!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Bloomin wish we did , no aircon , and last night no bloody sleep worked till 7.30pm last nite anyway and back in this morning , feeling pretty tired . The heat through the day and last nite awful , supposed to have had a good storm and some much needed rain , but we had only a few spots late last night. But we dont think this year is as hot as last summer well not yet anyway, mind still wish we had aircon
Joanne
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:36 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Never had aircon in house or car any of the times we were in Perth (apart from a portable one for about 2 months one time). Plus no air con in my hubbys work place. You can see why he doesnt want to go back! He hates the heat. I am certainly going to try and get air con this time round, I hate feeling frazzled.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

No air con at home or work sounds awful, sorry, no wonder he's reluctant to go back. Really hot Perth days in old houses with limited airflow really leave one drained.

Best wishes

David
Old Jan 5th 2004, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

We have the biggest boomer sized LG systems, they are brilliant, not ducted just split systems so you can put them in after a house is built. We have had samsung and Fujitsu before and this LG is better and cheaper, very happy with it. It really does make life far more bearable, troube is people keep coming over on hot days and I have to wonder if its something to do with the AC
Old Jan 5th 2004, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
We have the biggest boomer sized LG systems, they are brilliant, not ducted just split systems so you can put them in after a house is built. We have had samsung and Fujitsu before and this LG is better and cheaper, very happy with it. It really does make life far more bearable, troube is people keep coming over on hot days and I have to wonder if its something to do with the AC
I too have a split system LG. Lived in this house for 9 years with nothing at all. House is pretty good in summer and we generally only get about a dozen too-hot days each summer. I got A/C put in my office (work at home) and it's bloody fantastic. Cools two adjoining rooms too and don't how we ever managed without it
Old Jan 5th 2004, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

lynn kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point

We have reverse cycle refridgerated, only put in a few months ago after last summer heat (first one in oz) went for refridgerated after much questioning for two main reasons one cos it heats too and is cheaper than gas but also cos we can have it on a timer to come on before we get home to cool the house or leave it on when we go out so it is cool to come bacvk too. evaporative is cheaper to rund but as it workswith fresh air i didn't fancy leaving all the windows open while we are out.

just my opinion but glad we got refridgerated.

lynn
Old Jan 5th 2004, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by dotty

Thanks very much. Could I ask you how many you got, for what size house and roughly how much they cost to buy. Any idea how much they cost in electricity?

Thanks,

David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.