Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE LOVE PERTH?i need someone to make me feel better

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE LOVE PERTH?i need someone to make me feel better

Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

sarahjaneb is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy DOES ANYONE OUT THERE LOVE PERTH?i need someone to make me feel better

hello.after reading all about the perth crime and other bad things people have said i cant help but feel a little bit worried about all the money weve just paid to move there? -but at the same time i still cant believe that it would be any worse than england where i feel quite frightened to walk out of my front door!!Everyone ive spoken to has told me about how lovely australians are and that when you are out and about people actually say hello to you (and dont follow it with stealing your handbag like here)
Please would all the people that enjoy living in perth tell me all the nice things about it as im feeling quite miserable now.
sarah
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all
Default Re: DOES ANYONE OUT THERE LOVE PERTH?i need someone to make me feel better

Just don't go through Northbridge on a Saturday night, drive with your doors unlocked or look the wrong way at a drunk person and you should be right.

Seriously, the crime rants are usually from people who work in the security industry (me) and see the worst of it all all the time. Some others come from those who expected Perth to be some sort of crime-free utopia and were sorely disappointed.

There are issues with police staffing and numbers, no matter how positive a spin you put on it, and some suburbs are worse than others.

As in the UK - keep your wits about you and your head screwed on and you'll be fine. I lived in Perth 15 years without being a victim of crime, 7 years in many parts of the UK and 2 months on return to Perth (been here 2 years).
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DOES ANYONE OUT THERE LOVE PERTH?i need someone to make me feel better

Hello Sarah,

Perth is no better or worse than any other big city. Yes there are drugs, violence etc etc. However, Australians are generally more friendly than most other nationalities (and more accepting). The fact that Perth is an isolated city and therefore is a bit of a back water, means that incidents that wouldn't reach the news in towns or cities in the UK will be front page headlines here. Take for example the Ben Cousins issue with taking drugs. That was headline news for weeks, in the UK an issue like that would have hit The Sun as front page for day 1, then been relegated to page 5 or 6.
It's all about perception. Perth is a better and safer place to live than most places in the UK.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:38 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

I love Perth
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future

It literally is how you look at things. You can't listen to all the positives and get a clear perspective. At the same token you can't listen to all the negatives and get a good idea. Right now, you're breathing and blinking automatically. But as you read this I am bringing the actions of blinking and breathing to your attentive mind. Now you are aware of it. Now because you are aware of it, it becomes less comfortable than when you were dong it without thinking. Another example. Look at the picture. What do you see? You see the wheels spinning but you know for a fact that they're not. When people go with their feelings on logical problems, they pretty much always come up wrong. I lived in New York and there are people who have never been to Harlem. It's a really nice place but because of all the negativity people hear about it, they never go. A lot of people I've met think there's just a bunch of dudes waiting to stab lost white people as they step out of the train into Harlem. How silly is that?
Attached Thumbnails DOES ANYONE OUT THERE LOVE PERTH?i need someone to make me feel better-illusion.png  
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

mark.lowe is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sarahjaneb
hello.after reading all about the perth crime and other bad things people have said i cant help but feel a little bit worried about all the money weve just paid to move there? -but at the same time i still cant believe that it would be any worse than england where i feel quite frightened to walk out of my front door!!Everyone ive spoken to has told me about how lovely australians are and that when you are out and about people actually say hello to you (and dont follow it with stealing your handbag like here)
Please would all the people that enjoy living in perth tell me all the nice things about it as im feeling quite miserable now.
sarah
perth is the best place in oz
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

sarah
I loved it when I went on a reccie that is why I am going through hell trying to get there. I met loads of positive people, had some of the best food I have ever tasted, sat fishing till one in the morning with some ozzies, brits and malaysians (one of the best nights of my life). I know it was only a two week visit and everyday life will be different but I hope my leisure time will be great. I have read lots of negative posts and positive posts and sometimes they worry me but I think to myself I am a 37 year old well traveled woman I will give it my best shot and make my own mind up. Good luck with everything

Last edited by midwife-mandy; Feb 12th 2008 at 6:24 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark.lowe
perth is the best place in oz
I'm not going to argue with this.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

i love perth too

i have nothing neg to say about it
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

sarah
Don't make decisions based on what you read on here. There is a lot of anti-Perth sentiment on this website - come and see for yourself and then make up your own mind.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:53 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Don't make decisions based on what you read on here. There is a lot of anti-Perth sentiment on this website - come and see for yourself and then make up your own mind.
I love Perth, I think it's going downhill though. I should have gone to Queensland.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by renth
I love Perth, I think it's going downhill though. I should have gone to Queensland.
I think it's on it's way up and is only going to get better. You know I'm going to disagree with you about Qld.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth

Everywhere in the world is going downhill if you talk to folk, it's just choosing the best of the worse in many cases .

Why would Queensland be any better?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:09 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

sarah
Hi sarah, I don't live in Perth, but I can tell you that you have nothing to be scared about!

Everyone I know who has been to Perth says it is a fantastic place. So stay positive. I hope that your move goes well !

Mark
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Texas Hold Em is an unknown quantity at this point

sarah
Hi,
My sister in law, husband and 2 kids moved there about 7 months ago from Southport, she's a nurse. I have a few friends who live there, Brits and Aussies and I went on my honeymoon in July 07.
WHAT A BRILLIANT PLACE. Any rubbish you've heard is just that RUBBISH. It is SOOOOOOO much better than the UK. Everywhere is clean, the beaches have free, working clean toilets and showers, beaches and parks have free bar b's for everyone to use. It is a beautiful city and a beautiful region. You will not believe how green everything is. Drive a little south into the Margaret River region and the countryside is like the cotswolds, beautiful green rolling hills. The sister in laws 2 kids, 9 and 6, absolutely love it. There are dozens of beautiful golden sandy beaches within 30 minutes drive from anywhere in Perth, you'll see dolphins from the beach or at quay side cafes within your first week or 2, guaranteed. You can go whale watching down south, you'll see penguins and seals just off Perth on penguin island. There are parks all over and the space is mind blowing. The weather is brilliant the people are lovely, the city is fantastic. The houses are huge, really huge. We are trying to get there now on my wifes quals - she's a professional ballet dancer and teacher and we would move tomorrow if we could. I work overseas, Asia and Latin America, in Bogota at the moment and without doubt Perth is head and shoulders above everywhere and a million times better than the UK - which is quickly turning into a violent cess pit. It is the best thing you will ever have done, especially if you have kids. If anyone is into sport, there aren't enough hours in the day. Golf, wow, diving, fishing, swimming, aussie rules, rugby...it just goes on and they love it. The evening news is 5 minutes of news and 25 minutes of sports news. Don't listen to all the moaners and negative people, it's only because they haven't got the backbone to do something with their lives so they have to rubbish anyone who does something positive. YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.