Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

does anyone like tradies in these hard times ?

does anyone like tradies in these hard times ?

Old May 3rd 2009, 7:32 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: does anyone like tradies in these hard times ?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
But a lawyer charging $1000/hour is okay?

I can see her point though. I've just had some tiling work done by a 'professional' tiler. This guy has dome a pretty crap job and both myself, and my builder are not happy. I am not paying him until the work has been redone. If he doesn't like that then he can go f**k himself and I'll see him in court.
We have not had one tradie finish a job in one go. You are always waiting for them to come back and finish it. They don't call, you ring them and they say they will be there on such a day, you wait in and they don't turn up. then they turn up without any notification expecting you to be overjoyed to see them when you have people visiting and your all siting down to a meal.

Also the work is generally shody. they don't clean up after themselves. They leave an absolute mess with no apology.
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kez81
Agreed so many of these ' Tradesmen' are working without sufficient licenses that's why you should always make sure you use a licensed tradesman.
So using a licensed trademan will ensure you get a good job done? I don't think so.
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Yeah there are a lot of dodgy tradies...................but they are not all like that.
My OH is a painter, has been for just on 30 years, and he would never charge a stupidly high price for anyone!!
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:12 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont like anyone who has been greedy, unfortunately tradies havent helped themselves, but some people have been passing themselves off as tradies.

Everyone has been greedy, Engineers /accountants etc, who think just because they hold a degree should claim $150k minimum for waking up in the morning.

Its coming to an end, competition is here now, Woddside have frozen pay, others are stripping labour force, contracts are tightenting, and its about blood time....

Liek I have suggested before, we are all responsible, its like if we buy a house, we expect the price to increase by 20% per annum and then say we are loaded with the equity.
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Have you ever considered why you have that image?. Could it be because lots of us who have employed tradesmen have found that to be exactly what does happen?.
Thats a good point.
I also have an image of white collar workers sitting on their arse in an easy office environment from 9 - 5, taking an hour for lunch and never working a miunute past 5 p.m. I am sensible enough to know this is not true.

I have spoken to many people in Australia and one woman even said she is happy to hear an English person answer the phone when ringing a tradie. Tradies in Australia have a bad name and it seems particularly the Australian ones.
Old May 3rd 2009, 6:36 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
I dont like anyone who has been greedy, unfortunately tradies havent helped themselves, but some people have been passing themselves off as tradies.

Everyone has been greedy, Engineers /accountants etc, who think just because they hold a degree should claim $150k minimum for waking up in the morning.

Its coming to an end, competition is here now, Woddside have frozen pay, others are stripping labour force, contracts are tightenting, and its about blood time....

Liek I have suggested before, we are all responsible, its like if we buy a house, we expect the price to increase by 20% per annum and then say we are loaded with the equity.

as all tradies are licenced how can some one pass themselves of as a tradie who isnt trained / insured etc,
just ask to see a copy as and when you employ someone
no licenced worker would refuse and if they do dont use them

lins for checking sparks licences qld
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/elis/
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/elis/cond...pSqy!570586527

Last edited by steve`o; May 3rd 2009 at 6:41 pm.
Old May 3rd 2009, 6:43 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
So using a licensed trademan will ensure you get a good job done? I don't think so.
no it just means they are licenced most people go of a personal recommendation which is by far the best method
Old May 4th 2009, 2:36 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
Ofcourse it wont that's not what i said, but people should be checking that the tradie they use is licensed just because someone advertises in the local paper doesn't mean they have the license or knowledge to be doing what there doing.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:38 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve`o
no it just means they are licenced most people go of a personal recommendation which is by far the best method
Thats were most of my OH work comes from is recommendation from other people if your good at what you do you will get the work if not you wont simply as really.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Please don't tar us all with the same brush!!
This is us in London in January this year with Imtiaz Ferruki (the President of the National House Builders Co. "NHBC") and Melissa Porter from the tele Collecting our firms award for the "pride in the job"
we came FIRST place for small to medium builders in the country out of
(18,000) builders. Please feel free to google our company "Bell and Shinn Developments" in Horncastle ,Lincolnshire.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/newsandcomment/prideinthejob/[/URL]
Attached Thumbnails does anyone like tradies in these hard times ?-nhbc-awards-london-09-061.jpg   does anyone like tradies in these hard times ?-nhbc-awards-london-09-057.jpg  

Last edited by bu1lder; May 4th 2009 at 3:01 pm.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:47 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bu1lder
Please don't tar us all with the same brush!!
This is us in London in January this year with Imtiaz Ferruki (the President of the National House Builders Co. "NHBC") and Melissa Porter from the tele Collecting our firms award for the "pride in the job"
we came FIRST place for small to medium builders in the country out of
(18,000) builders. Please feel free to google our company "Bell and Shinn Developments" in Horncastle ,Lincolnshire.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/newsandcomment/prideinthejob/[/URL]
Unless you are prepared for a very long commute I think you are probably a non-starter as far as any work I need doing.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Unless you are prepared for a very long commute I think you are probably a non-starter as far as any work I need doing.
I'm over there in August 09, Perth.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

painter in aus will become famous soon enoughpainter in aus will become famous soon enough

no complaints this week..........woooooo

well it is only tuesday
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

deadlock will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Only $2000 a day now, hope BBC's life downunder doesn't get wind of this tradies in OZ $10,000 a week.

$520,000 a year, its a dream life 'ere mate
I REMEMBER WATCHING LIFE DOWN UNDER,10K A WEEK LAYING BRICKS! I WAS LUCKY TO GET 1K !
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:11 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve o.

Ok it works like this, a tradie gets the job and subs it out....... to a TA or similar.......easy as I reckon. and a nice slice off the top.

Do you think all these new home builder companies are paying greedy tradesman rates for every job....naht.

Originally Posted by steve`o
as all tradies are licenced how can some one pass themselves of as a tradie who isnt trained / insured etc,
just ask to see a copy as and when you employ someone
no licenced worker would refuse and if they do dont use them

lins for checking sparks licences qld
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/elis/
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/elis/cond...pSqy!570586527

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.