Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

does anyone like tradies in these hard times ?

does anyone like tradies in these hard times ?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: does anyone like tradies in these hard times ?

Originally Posted by painter in aus
Don’t think Lisa likes tradies much…………..

http://www.news.com.au/comments/0,23...41-462,00.html

Please ignore the news agency that wrote the report, its the comment i enjoyed, she really does hate tradies or is just men.

From news.com.au

THE news is all bad for job seekers, as new figures show that employment prospects are just going to keep getting worse as the year continues.

A new survey has found that professional and trade jobs are becoming harder to find, with the Skilled Vacancies Index showing a 10.8 per cent drop in the number of job advertisements in March.

Lisa’s response

I hope all the plumbers and tradies will be out of work for a long time for the ridiculous amount of money that they charge you for the work that they do. I tried to help the economy by employing these people to do reno work around the house but they soon got out of hand and invented more and more work for them. How can they justify making $2000 a day just for labour. I may be a woman but am not a sucker. Let them suffer for their immoral practises maybe we should consider cheaper labour imports to teach these guys a lesson and send them to the third world country where an honest day work barely put food on the table. We are a society full of greedy men. Don't only blame the CEO's it goes all the way down the ladder.

Wish I was a cowboy plumber earning $2000 a day!!!!!!!!!!!
She say's she is not a sucker but clearly is if she pays $2000 a day to someone.
People talk and it is not hard to find out roughly how much you should be paying so wtf was she thinking. I don't know about Australia but you could take someone to court for overcharging and there is more awareness of this in the U.K now
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

painter in aus will become famous soon enoughpainter in aus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
She say's she is not a sucker but clearly is if she pays $2000 a day to someone.
People talk and it is not hard to find out roughly how much you should be paying so wtf was she thinking. I don't know about Australia but you could take someone to court for overcharging and there is more awareness of this in the U.K now
well done funky............ the rest are in dreamland. its tough here as well we know it
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
anne ?
Must have been your sister i remember meeting, as I certainly don't recall you looking like an "Anne"
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by painter in aus
well said......birds of a feather.

not all tradies are scum who piss up your fence and sh*t in your garden, i have never heard of it on a regular basis. how many on here get out in the blistering heat day after day and never complain to getting ripped off by so called professional people. how many tradies do you know up in court for fraud or imbesselment....i.e ripping people off.
I don't understand your response painter in aus. Why are you being so defensive? If you are a good & honest painter then I would have thought you too would be mad at the cowboys who are ruining your reputation.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:53 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
I don't understand your response painter in aus. Why are you being so defensive? If you are a good & honest painter then I would have thought you too would be mad at the cowboys who are ruining your reputation.
If you go by his postings on here you may find your answer
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Yes we are annoyed at the cowboy's but also the mentality of a lot of the public. If someone said that everyone in your trade was no good you would probably defend yourself.

The average image of us tradies is not very good and the general public have a misguided view of us. They think we work 8 - 3 p.m have tea breaks all day and go home or are down the pub for 4 . For some of us there are a few hours per week quoting at night often driving quite a bit and getting materials e.t.c. O.K it is our choice of job but all I am saying is there is much more to our job and we work harder than just the hours you see us on site and all people do is moan about the price they pay. Also all said and done we are skilled and if it is that easy why don't people do it themselves.
The average employed numpty will do his / her 8 hours per day, always want their breaks and the hour for lunch and then moan about what tradies charge, they don't see the big picture.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

Well I must say guys that you are not doing yourselves any favours by your responses here. I don't believe anyone has ever said that all "tradies" are bad; that would be a ridiculous statement. So far though the ones responding with aggravation seem to have a heck of a chip on their shoulder!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

double post
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scamp1976
One thing's for sure : There are very very few tradies you can trust.
That goes for money / work quality / etc... all the way.

So I can understand Lisa's comments : She got mugged by them just like most people did during the boom because of the abundance of work and the lack of 'skilled people' ( I can usually provide better work than 90% of the tradies and I'm an IT guy just hobbying around the house ).

Tip : If you want anything done by tradies then you have to be monitoring ( read : babysitting ) them all the time. Which is why it makes more sense to have 5-6 tradies all at once, at least they won't spoil too much of your time while you babysit them.

The house-flippers ruined it also by the way, not just the tradies.
If you can earn more money by flipping houses than by doing a real job, then something is really wrong ...

You don't need a tradie do you? You know it all already

You can already do the job better yourself just like most other "hobby" tradies

Last edited by Funky Monkey; Apr 27th 2009 at 12:55 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

lets hope the good quality honest tradies stay in the game that deliver good service for the dollar and put their skills into training young apprentices.

For me especially in the suburbs of Perth, I am sick of coming across unskilled so called tradesmen, pretneding they are the bees knees... lets rid them out of he market, the faster the better.
Old May 3rd 2009, 1:11 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
lets hope the good quality honest tradies stay in the game that deliver good service for the dollar and put their skills into training young apprentices.

For me especially in the suburbs of Perth, I am sick of coming across unskilled so called tradesmen, pretneding they are the bees knees... lets rid them out of he market, the faster the better.
Agreed so many of these ' Tradesmen' are working without sufficient licenses that's why you should always make sure you use a licensed tradesman.
Old May 3rd 2009, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
But a lawyer charging $1000/hour is okay?
Must be a pretty bad lawyer.
Old May 3rd 2009, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

There does seem to be a bit of "them and us" feeling between white collar workers in Canberra and the tradies.

The problem has been that in the boom years the tradies have been able to be very arrogant in picking and choosing their work and charging what they like for very shoddy work.

A personal example. I wanted some extra window installed in a brick wall in my house last year and went out to Fyshwick to get some prices. Finally found the windows I wanted and asked for a quote for installation. I was told to forget it. The chap who usually installed their windows had a full book and had asked for his phone number not to be given out until further notice. So we just decided to forget the windows and go on a holiday instead.

My most recent experience was with getting a dog flap installed last month.

We got the local rag (Canberra Chronicle) and looked for handymen or door tradesmen. I already had bought the dog flap from Bunnings but did not want to mangle my door with my feeble home handymand efforts. So we rang several of the handymen and they refused to give us a quote or arrange a specific time to come to our house to do the work. We eventually contacted a company called the Grey Army. They are just an agency for tradesmen but would not give me a direct phone number to talk to one of their tradesmen. The lady said that someone would contact us but could not say when. Several days later we were contacted and I had to arrange for my daughter to take the entire morning off. I budgeted for about $100 for the job, which any half competent tradesman could do in about 20 minutes. Some old guy eventually turned up. According to my daughter he was quiet mad. Spent a lot of time talking to himself. Had a half arsed attempt to install the flap and then decided to take the whole door off. He used our table in the porch as a work bench. She heard some sawing noises and banging sounds and he then disappeared for half an hour and she could see him up our drive smoking and hear him talking to himself quite loudly. Eventually he finished the job and it had taken him exactly 2 and a half hours at $40 per hour which added up to $100. I would have been quite happy to give him the $100 in his hand if he had been honest and quoted that much up front.

When I got home I inspected the work and the flap was installed OK. But he had left a mess of saw dust all over our table and brick was resting on the table. I removed the brick and found a deep gash in our table!!!!!

Pretty pathetic, and not an isolated instance of how Canberrans are treated by tradesmen.

I did some computer work for a plant hire company out at Queenbeyan a few years back and had to work closely with some of the tradies to document their system. They used to refer to people from Canberra as "shiny bums", and did not seem to have much respect for the paper-shuffling, public service fat cats. I think they see them as fair game to rip off at any opportunity.
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:39 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
The average image of us tradies is not very good and the general public have a misguided view of us. They think we work 8 - 3 p.m have tea breaks all day and go home or are down the pub for 4 .
Have you ever considered why you have that image?. Could it be because lots of us who have employed tradesmen have found that to be exactly what does happen?.
Old May 3rd 2009, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

some classic Enfield on tradies ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86uux...eature=related

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.