Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know what's happened to the petrol?

Does anyone know what's happened to the petrol?

Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:29 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone know what's happened to the petrol?

Higher octane petrol - Shell VPower and BP Ultimate - has been unobtainable anywhere round here this last ten days: Bowral, Moss Vale, Unanderra, Albion Park etc.

I phoned Shell today and they said the NSW refinery was out "for unanticipated maintenance" - but that it only supplied Shell.

There's something going on somewhere, but I don't know what: anyone heard anything?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:36 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone know what's happened to the petrol?

Originally Posted by Wol
Higher octane petrol - Shell VPower and BP Ultimate - has been unobtainable anywhere round here this last ten days: Bowral, Moss Vale, Unanderra, Albion Park etc.

I phoned Shell today and they said the NSW refinery was out "for unanticipated maintenance" - but that it only supplied Shell.

There's something going on somewhere, but I don't know what: anyone heard anything?
It's caused by the rush of people moving to Queensland, it will pass when they realise that the place is under 3 feet of water and head back
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:39 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Apparently there are only 2 refineries, both with some kind of problem. Some think it's a stunt to push prices even higher as the cost of crude fell.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:42 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

it was in the SMH over the long weekend for Australia Day about the shortage. I filled up at Caltex with 95 last week with no prob (priced 6c above oct92, which is now the norm round here (2yrs ago was 4c)
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:43 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

it's the scandalous things they do with petrol prises...ie lie to everyone so they can charge what they like when they like......it's going pear shaped very quickly

better polish up your push bike and check the brakes work!!!!!!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Apparently there are only 2 refineries, both with some kind of problem. Some think it's a stunt to push prices even higher as the cost of crude fell.
Oh, surely not, Arkon! The petrol companies do try and keep prices down to the minimum - look at the way the pump prices drop during the week <g>.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:15 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by walaj
it was in the SMH over the long weekend for Australia Day about the shortage. I filled up at Caltex with 95 last week with no prob (priced 6c above oct92, which is now the norm round here (2yrs ago was 4c)
OK - didn't see that.

Incidentally, the SMH isn't available round here today, either.

No petrol, no paper - how are "working families" going to cope?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...006784,00.html
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

At least they can still buy lettuce with the money saved
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

I've tried all types of Premium petrol and I get the best performance and fuel consumption with Mobil 8000.

I used BP Ultimate for a while and liked it but found it to be the most exxy. I know many people who swear by Ultimate and will not use anything else.

V Power (shell) has the worst fuel consumption for me.

I can't use 95 as it makes the engine make a weird ticking noise.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
I've tried all types of Premium petrol and I get the best performance and fuel consumption with Mobil 8000.

I used BP Ultimate for a while and liked it but found it to be the most exxy. I know many people who swear by Ultimate and will not use anything else.

V Power (shell) has the worst fuel consumption for me.

I use either - when available <g> - 'cos Mrs Wol insists that the engine will disintegrate if I don't put the most expensive stuff into it......
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Its called 'pinking' in old money and its a sure sign of ignition problems due mainly to low octane.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Its called 'pinking' in old money and its a sure sign of ignition problems due mainly to low octane.
Thanks. happend when it was new, no problems with ignition. Mechanic says it due to the car being a high performance 300kw V8 - it's meant to only run on premium with high octane. Accidentally filled it with 95 twice before, hence the noise.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. happend when it was new, no problems with ignition. Mechanic says it due to the car being a high performance 300kw V8 - it's meant to only run on premium with high octane. Accidentally filled it with 95 twice before, hence the noise.

My Toyota Hiace Camper with 315,000K's on it doesn't half go up hills better when its got the higher octane in it...!

I still drive it slow enough though to wind everyone up behind me!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
When I last counted there were more than two: Kwinana (WA) Bulwer Island (QLD) Kurnell (NSW) Clyde (NSW) Geelong (Vic).

And strangely enough, periodically refineries need to be shut down for maintenance. Rather like cars only far more complex.
Shutdowns are usually planned and more imports are scheduled, but they cannot always keep up with demand as the next nearest non-Australian refinery is 12 days away, by tanker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.