Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have a child at, or any knowledge of, Quinns Beach Primary?

Does anyone have a child at, or any knowledge of, Quinns Beach Primary?

Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Oliveoil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone have a child at, or any knowledge of, Quinns Beach Primary?

I have done a search on this site and the only thread is from 2005 and isn't v positive so wonder is there is any up to date views.

I have the option of QR or staying in Carramar, obviously wil decide when we get there and get a gut feel when we visit but would appreciate any views.

Daughter number 1 is a fragile little flower so I just want her to be in a kind environment, not some hothoused education machine and stressed so tbh, high exam results are not my be all and end all.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Does anyone have a child at, or any knowledge of, Quinns Beach Primary?

anyone?

thanks
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone have a child at, or any knowledge of, Quinns Beach Primary?

Originally Posted by Oliveoil
anyone?

thanks
Lots has been written about this subject in the past. Try a search by clicking on the peach coloured bar at the top of the screen.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

My girls went to Quinns Beach for almost three years. It was 2004-06, so things may have changed, but on the whole we found it a very friendly, positive place. Certainly no academic hothouse!

My kids arrived in Australia not speaking English, so I was pretty worried too. It was a very friendly and welcoming environment and they adjusted quickly. After a couple of years we started worrying that they weren't really learning much (especially maths), but they always loved going to that school. They had a strong focus on reading, but did a bit too much cutting and pasting and video watching for my liking. Socially, it was a very positive experience for them. I think the iffy maths is a WA curriculum problem and not specific to QBS.

Like many schools, there are the so-called rough elements and one or two dodgy teachers. We'd heard the bad stories too, and to be honest we just didn't see it. If they are the ones I'm thinking of, the negative comments you read were probably outdated even at the time, and came from people with axes to grind.

We may have just been been lucky with our teachers and classmates and everyone has a different experience, but you should bear in mind also that I'm a fussy bugger when it comes to schools -- I'm considered a snob by some and they are probably right.

During our last year they had a very dynamic headteacher who made some good changes. I'm not sure if she's still there. Schools can change quite quickly.

Lasting impression of that school is the great and sometimes riotous outdoor assemblies. Always very positive and loads of fun, although the AFL (Eagles vs Dockers) assembly really got my back up.

I'm sure your daughter will be fine. From what I can gather and based on our own experience, most WA primaries are very good at providing a friendly and kind environment.

I have done a search on this site and the only thread is from 2005 and isn't v positive so wonder is there is any up to date views.

I have the option of QR or staying in Carramar, obviously wil decide when we get there and get a gut feel when we visit but would appreciate any views.

Daughter number 1 is a fragile little flower so I just want her to be in a kind environment, not some hothoused education machine and stressed so tbh, high exam results are not my be all and end all.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Exile
My girls went to Quinns Beach for almost three years. It was 2004-06, so things may have changed, but on the whole we found it a very friendly, positive place. Certainly no academic hothouse!

My kids arrived in Australia not speaking English, so I was pretty worried too. It was a very friendly and welcoming environment and they adjusted quickly. After a couple of years we started worrying that they weren't really learning much (especially maths), but they always loved going to that school. They had a strong focus on reading, but did a bit too much cutting and pasting and video watching for my liking. Socially, it was a very positive experience for them. I think the iffy maths is a WA curriculum problem and not specific to QBS.

Like many schools, there are the so-called rough elements and one or two dodgy teachers. We'd heard the bad stories too, and to be honest we just didn't see it. If they are the ones I'm thinking of, the negative comments you read were probably outdated even at the time, and came from people with axes to grind.

We may have just been been lucky with our teachers and classmates and everyone has a different experience, but you should bear in mind also that I'm a fussy bugger when it comes to schools -- I'm considered a snob by some and they are probably right.

During our last year they had a very dynamic headteacher who made some good changes. I'm not sure if she's still there. Schools can change quite quickly.

Lasting impression of that school is the great and sometimes riotous outdoor assemblies. Always very positive and loads of fun, although the AFL (Eagles vs Dockers) assembly really got my back up.

I'm sure your daughter will be fine. From what I can gather and based on our own experience, most WA primaries are very good at providing a friendly and kind environment.
thanks for that, very helpful

at the moment I am researching areas - we have family and friends in Quinns and Carramar but I am leaning more towards Willetton/Rosmoyne/Mount Pleasant now - they seem more my type of areas

if only we didn't have schools to take into consideration eh? and only our only worry was deli produce and art galleries....

(also, I did search the forum before posting (I know it is teeth grinding to see the same threads but they seemed more about secondary schools and not primary)
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

"We may have just been been lucky with our teachers and classmates and everyone has a different experience, but you should bear in mind also that I'm a fussy bugger when it comes to schools -- I'm considered a snob by some and they are probably right"

me too!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, very helpful

at the moment I am researching areas - we have family and friends in Quinns and Carramar but I am leaning more towards Willetton/Rosmoyne/Mount Pleasant now - they seem more my type of areas

if only we didn't have schools to take into consideration eh? and only our only worry was deli produce and art galleries....

(also, I did search the forum before posting (I know it is teeth grinding to see the same threads but they seemed more about secondary schools and not primary)
If you think you are going to be here for the long haul then consider Willetton and Rossmoyne as their High Schools are thought to be a couple of the best state schools in WA.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
If you think you are going to be here for the long haul then consider Willetton and Rossmoyne as their High Schools are thought to be a couple of the best state schools in WA.
I'd second what NB says here. One reason we eventually moved away from Quinns Rocks was to get in the catchment area of a top state secondary school (we're back in the UK now, so it didn't really matter much in the end anyway).
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

yes I agree with you both re high schools

but then I think my children are only 5 and 4 and I am thinking wayyyyyyy ahead of myself

I do not know if I will love or hate any area until I get there so at the moment I am just driving myself mad with research :curse: