Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone enjoy living in Oz?

Does anyone enjoy living in Oz?

Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough
Default Does anyone enjoy living in Oz?

Maybe I'm reading the 'return to the UK' forum too much; maybe it's last three weeks nerves; maybe the people who are really enjoying Oz don't post on this site ...

but please, someone tell me that you enjoy living in Australia.

thanks,

Rachel.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone enjoy living in Oz?

Originally Posted by aussiesoon
Maybe I'm reading the 'return to the UK' forum too much; maybe it's last three weeks nerves; maybe the people who are really enjoying Oz don't post on this site ...

thanks,

Rachel.
Stop reading it. It does the same to me, especially at certain times of the month

The people who no longer post are generally getting on with their new lives and those that still post are also getting on with their lives but also telling us how it is. Stick with this site and remember why you want to go.

Three weeks ... :scared:
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

good advice - thanks.

Actually it's three weeks and two days (those two days might make all the difference!). I can't believe it has gone so fast. I still have a huge list of things to do, cupboards to clear out etc etc. I downloaded a great list off this website a few months ago and it has become my Bible.

When are you off?

Rachel.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:15 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

thanks,

Rachel.

Its great - though the only person who can tell you how good it is, is you.... three weeks and you'll find out. Come with open eyes and an openmind and you'll be good
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks,

Rachel.
Plenty here who enjoy living in Oz. The moving back to UK forum is good to prepare people to that life won't all be smooth here. There are no guarantees that your migration will be permanent. Everyones experience is different.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

I read the moving back forum to be prepared for homesickness etc. Now feel that I need a dose of positivity (not sure that this is a word, but never mind).

Rachel.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:21 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I read the moving back forum to be prepared for homesickness etc. Now feel that I need a dose of positivity (not sure that this is a word, but never mind).

Rachel.

You need to be prepared for it, IMO (see, you know what that means now!) if you come here thinking you're going to be okay by day 2, you'll be in for a shock. If you come here and allow yourself some time, be prepared to take a couple of knocks then there is absolutely nothing to stop you from having a fantastic life here. This isn't the UK with good weather, the common thing is the language and even that is different! I think perhaps this can be a shock for some people
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel.
Hopefully we should be off July/August.....if the house sells (same old chestnut).

The moving back one has been useful for removing the rose tinted and seeing the reasons why people come back, but it should come with a warning, only to be read when feeling happy and upbeat. If at all worried/scared/hormonal/ ill/family giving grief etc etc stay away and go to the Lounge :scared:
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you to you both.

Hopefully as we have relatives in Port Macquarie (sister-in-law and 2 nephews) the transition should be easier, in that she is going to introduce us to people and explain things that we don't understand! We are also staying with her for the first couple of weeks, although we are considering arranging 6 months of rental accomodation before leaving the UK. we have both applied for jobs, although I know it will be hard getting something before we arrive.

Is there anything else we can do mentally/emotionally to prepare (obviously sending the ballgown to a charity shop is one sacrifice too far!!)?

Rachel.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:43 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Is there anything else we can do mentally/emotionally to prepare (obviously sending the ballgown to a charity shop is one sacrifice too far!!)?

Rachel.
Really, just what I've already said. Allow yourself some time to adjust, don't be suprised if things that 'should' be the same are different, and treat each day as a new experience.

One thing you may like to do if you think you're going to be homesick, is make sure you have your addressbook with you (not in your shipping).
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

stressfree is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks,

Rachel.
I pestered several people, who had lived both in the UK and OZ, about the merits of migrating to OZ. Of the four only one came back to the UK, Because his wife could'nt settle. And another one finaly got fed up with me one day and said once your here(in OZ) you wont want to go back. Another of the four said the better weather seems to have a lifting effect on your whole outlook on life.
Anyway, "gonna give it a go" stressfree
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Stop reading it. It does the same to me, especially at certain times of the month

The people who no longer post are generally getting on with their new lives and those that still post are also getting on with their lives but also telling us how it is. Stick with this site and remember why you want to go.

Three weeks ... :scared:
Yeah, thats right do not read the Moving back to the UK forum. Why read real life experiences from those who have been there and sampled OZ first hand?

Better to read the rants of the seriously deluded Daily Mail reading type proclaiming the the UK is a sinking ship on the "Dreaming of OZ" forum. Or maybe watch a video of "A new life in the sun" to reassure yourself that lining the pockets of DIMIA and giving up lifelong friends and familly to move to the most bland, superfiscial and isolated country on the planet is a great idea.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:52 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Maybe I'm reading the 'return to the UK' forum too much
A HomeSick bag?
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Yeah, thats right do not read the Moving back to the UK forum. Why read real life experiences from those who have been there and sampled OZ first hand?

Better to read the rants of the seriously deluded Daily Mail reading type proclaiming the the UK is a sinking ship on the "Dreaming of OZ" forum. Or maybe watch a video of "A new life in the sun" to reassure yourself that lining the pockets of DIMIA and giving up lifelong friends and familly to move to the most bland, superfiscial and isolated country on the planet is a great idea.
Call me perceptive, but do I detect a hint of a negative attitude towards Oz? Seriously, though, what's your experience?
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

stressfree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eatstatic

Does'nt sound like you would enjoy living anywhere.
stressfree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.