Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else in Oz feel christmassy?

Does anyone else in Oz feel christmassy?

Old Dec 15th 2003, 8:58 am
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Balmedie

Yip - Balmedie is only 10 mins drive from our house! You know it? It is now covered in snow this morning and bloody freezing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x
Old Dec 15th 2003, 9:36 am
Badge

Default Re: Balmedie

My view is that Christmas is just 1 day out of 365 - so I'm not bothered where, or how, I spend it..

badge

Old Dec 15th 2003, 9:44 am
Goodpubmisser

Been in Oz for around 14 years does not feel like Christmas.

I actually start feeling Christmassy when it gets cold in June/July when I sometimes find myself humming christmas carols.

I went to one Christmas in July in the Blue Mountains - it was terrible. Not worth the money.

Main aspects of Christmas in Sydney:

Shops full of stressed out mothers and their kids.

Weather very hot.

Bush fires begin.

Christmas programs on the TV.

Most people leave Sydney for the Christmas break. Pubs close/ are empty.

Fireworks at the harbour - good the first time you see it then boring.

New Years Eve an anti-climax.

Christmas in England is far far better. A lot of Expats go back to England for Christmas.

Old Dec 15th 2003, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Christmas cancelled due to lack of interest? Excitement = input. Here's your chance to have two types of Christmas stored in your memory bank. Make it a good one, and share the Christmas spirit around.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 12:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The closer it gets, the more certain I become that this year my Christmas Spirit will only be the bottled sort. wonder if they still have that Baileys on special......
Old Dec 15th 2003, 12:27 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Well, I am freezing cold, surrounded by Xmas cards, assaulted by Noddy Holder et al on the radio and in shops and I don't feel Christmassy either.

I have promised to put decorations up etc this week and I honestly can't be bothered.

Roll on the day when I can see it as a nice day on the beach!
Old Dec 15th 2003, 12:28 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Feels exactly like xmas to me
Old Dec 15th 2003, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Actually tonite was good , went to daughters school carol service , all the parents take their chairs , there food and lots of drink , we all sit on the school field and watch the kids perform plays and songs , really nice evening. One problem it was a little nippy tonite with the wind blowing we had coats on , and its 16 degrees , think we have aclimatized folks But it has put the christmas spirit into us all i think , well that or the drink anyway. Have a weekend packed full this week , hubbys works do , a street party where we live saturday , and my works do on monday 70's theme so lots of partying , Happy christmas all have a good one
Joanne
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Christmas feels just right to me here. Less stress all round.

Putting up the decorations wearing shorts. Shopping is a doddle cos it's relaxed and people are happy. The nativity play in town involves real camels and a donkey. Carols by candlelight is really special with every family bringing a picnic.

Beautiful breakfasts, then champers on the beach. Seafood on the barbie. Work parties mean you can be at special outdoor venues. Boxing Day is the Test, or yacht race, or more beach and barbies with friends.
I'm gushing, but I really really like it.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:46 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default It feels Christmasy today

Woke up this morning and bot did it feel like Christmas. It was 7.00am and I looked out to see....... The trees bending over in strong winds and it was absolutley pissing it down. Left for work at 7.30 and it was that really grey miserable light that I so know and love from Blighty. I even turned up the heater on the way to work.

Ahhhh Christmas has arrived in Melbourne. Stoke up the Coonara (Spelling?) Hev.

We also felt really Christmassy when we went shopping on Saturday as it took about 20 minutes to get a parking space in Knox City.

I went to my works xmas party on Friday (Which was quite useful as I'd only started last Monday) and I have to say it beat all my previous works parties hands down. We went to Monash Uni grounds where we had a marquee with free beer wine etc etc. We had people coming around with hors' doofers and then we had a sit down barbi. After the food there was vollyball, cricket and footy and more beer.

Merry Xmas everyone