Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else in Oz feel christmassy?

Does anyone else in Oz feel christmassy?

Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Does anyone else in Oz feel christmassy?

COS I DON"T. Not one single iota
Is this normal for newbies like me, in a hot country, boiling me ???? off with bloody "I'm dreaming of a white christmas" wailing out from cole's tanoy system, which Ironically its the only place to feel remotely cool (also the freezer section in there is getting on for cold somedays):lecture:
I am feeling climately confused right now, i don't normally get hayfever in the lead up to christmas either!!!!.................................

Any hints and tips from you old timers, otherwise i'm gonna be sat on the beach on christmas day in me woolie and christmas socks like some old dero!!!
!!!!!!!
:scared:

Last edited by hevs; Dec 14th 2003 at 8:23 am.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

This will be my 3rd christmas down under, and i still never feel christmassy...i not even bothering with a tree or decorations. We'll just go to a restaurant for lunch
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Gibson will become famous soon enough

This will be our first christmas in Oz and probably the hardest! It really does not feel like christmas! I have a tree up but thats it, more for the kids not me! It just looks so odd, seeing decorated houses- one garden has kangaroos pulling the sleigh!!!!! Hot weather and christmas do not go together I'm afraid. As for us we're not doing the christmas dinner thing - we're going to the beach for a bbq instead......... Everyone have a good one..
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:57 am
owieb

Default Re: Does anyone else in Oz feel christmassy?

Originally posted by h garrett
Is this normal for newbies like me, in a hot country, boiling me ???? off with bloody "I'm dreaming of a white christmas" wailing out from cole's tanoy system, which Ironically its the only place to feel remotely cool (also the freezer section in there is getting on for cold somedays):lecture:
I am feeling climately confused right now, i don't normally get hayfever in the lead up to christmas either!!!!.................................

Any hints and tips from you old timers, otherwise i'm gonna be sat on the beach on christmas day in me woolie and christmas socks like some old dero!!!
!!!!!!!
This will be our second christmas here, and I must say I much prefer it like this. We don't bother with decorations or big celebrations, much rather fill the esky with food and drink and head for the beach!

Last year we went up to Lancelin (hoping the wind was going to blow) and just sat on the beach and had a picnic, it was so nice not having to do the usual christmas running around, seeing relies etc.

Old Dec 14th 2003, 9:34 am
ABCDiamond

!!!!!!!
Do what the Aussies do !!

You will see many "CHRISTMAS IN JULY" things going on in winter.

Have the picnic / BBQ in December, but find somewhere nice and warm in July for a traditional Christmas dinner.

If you are in the Sydney area, you will find the Blue Mountians have lots of specials then.

I've been here, off and on since 1987, and its only Christmas because my young daughter says it is.

Old Dec 14th 2003, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Nope doesnt feel christmassy at all !! We have the tree up but thats about it , have done all the kids presents , but nope still not the same , but we like this i have to say . Xmas dinner on the beach quite nice , will have a barbie and some drink and a swim , then watch probably rubbish on the telly later , but we will enjoy it. This in total will be our 3rd christmas here , and it is hard to get into the swing of things when its so hot , and if your like me not looking forward to going into work on boxing day !!! But im sure we will all have a great time , Happy Christmas everyone
Joanne and family
Old Dec 14th 2003, 10:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Feels Christmassy alright - the family arguments have started, no-one can agree on what food they want, and everyone is threatening to go off and spend Christmas alone on a desert island.......yep, sounds like its going to be a case of same rows, different country. least it makes me feel at home! Think i may hide under the doona (no matter how hot it is) and not come out till 2004.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 10:42 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Doesn't feel to bad to me actually, although it would be better if family were here but we are trying to make it as Chrismassy as we can. Going to see Santa in David Jones next week and carols by candlelight on the 21st.

Does seem odd that it's hot but it's different and we like the change.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 11:33 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

We put the tree up today, and spent yesterday Christmas shopping (lucky for us one of the hottest so far this year in Sydney and we got to spend it in a Mall!!!)

2nd Christmas here and yup we are going to plan on the beach in the morning - but we will be back for a roast lunch as the kids like it and have asked for it.

I am feeling much more Christmassy this year possibly cause I am a lot happier than last and the tree didn't have any lurking spiders in it after being stored for a year in the garage! We have the fairy lights up on the outside of the house (cause we like it) and sipping cold wine on the balcony as they twinkle is fun.

I also know want to know where you get fairy pool lights! I am being serious about this Christmas in the fun/sun.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Sandra
Old Dec 14th 2003, 4:22 pm
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Christmas CHEER !

Merry Christmas,

We are still in UK (Aberdeen in SCOTLAND to be exact) and am sooo jealous of you all. I know what you mean about hot christmas but believe me you lot are all in the best place! It is freezing here and yeah the tree looks nice but going out celebrating etc with friends is not exactly fun! when it is ice cold and raining spoiling you nice new outfits and having to wait about for taxis or walking home!

We were in Newcastle, NSW last year for xmas and it was weird but ace! We can't wait to be spending it there for good. Here is a few snaps we took of a place called "Gracelands" at Lake MacQuarie Newcastle last year! If you can - visit this place it is very very christmasssy!!

Now have a wonderful time in the sun you lucky things!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
gracelands.bmp (105.7 KB, 121 views)
Old Dec 14th 2003, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

If it is any consolation it doesn't feel Christmassy to me either !!! We are staying at my S-I-L very small bungalow and with 5 of us in it there isn't even room for a tree or decorations. Roll on January is all I keep thinking!
Old Dec 14th 2003, 5:01 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

!!!!!!!
Hevs. Matt and the two new schoolies

Beeeen working all weekend never stopped raining very soggie,
Today Sunday working again didnt mind too much as the sun came out about 10 am this cut through the last week of GREY and i mean Grey sky in Oxon and beyond.... We dont feel Christmasie either tonight is going to be frosty so i have promised Rachel a real open fire!!!!!.

Luv to here from both U and Matt stick with that connection keep postin cos we is hopin 2 meet U all 1 day.

Old Dec 14th 2003, 5:10 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

My good Aussie lady has been a bit depressed with Christmas in England. She's missing the prospect of lobster, prawns and a trip to the beach and can't get her head around cold Chrimbos with turkey and Christmas pud. Still, it should be her last one here. Personally I don't relish the idea of Aussie Christmas's, done one and it just felt like any other day in Oz. At least I can still get pissed........
Old Dec 14th 2003, 5:38 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bidding war on wot's not or wot's is

Forget the rain/wet/cold - you can cover up on the way to party!

Aus - you need to work out how to keep the make up on, prior to arriving, sweat, tears, and redo - before you leave your own bathroom!

it is a hoot, I only wear makeup 1 day a year, the Christmas Works Party so they do not recognise me!

Cheers
Old Dec 14th 2003, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Christmas CHEER !

Originally posted by faye_gillan
Merry Christmas,

We are still in UK (Aberdeen in SCOTLAND to be exact) and am sooo jealous of you all. I know what you mean about hot christmas but believe me you lot are all in the best place! It is freezing here and yeah the tree looks nice but going out celebrating etc with friends is not exactly fun! when it is ice cold and raining spoiling you nice new outfits and having to wait about for taxis or walking home!

We were in Newcastle, NSW last year for xmas and it was weird but ace! We can't wait to be spending it there for good. Here is a few snaps we took of a place called "Gracelands" at Lake MacQuarie Newcastle last year! If you can - visit this place it is very very christmasssy!!

Now have a wonderful time in the sun you lucky things!!!!!!!
Hiya Faye

Balmedie anywhere near you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.