Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else keep changing their mind about going to Oz??

Does anyone else keep changing their mind about going to Oz??

Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

devonshiredumpling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone else keep changing their mind about going to Oz??

Just wondered if anybody else can talk themselves into and out of moving to Oz as much as me and my husband do.

We have lived in Oz before for two years and loved it. We came home to have children near our family and now we've had our children we want to move back to Oz. The problem is we are all set for moving over there then I will get doubts and start talking myself into staying in the UK. We live in a fairly nice area of the UK (Devon) and I know the children will miss their grandparents. I've found that our mood usually follows the seasons! Here comes the winter and surprise surprise we want to move to Australia!

The constant weighing up of which place is better drives me mad! Anybody else suffer with 'should we, should we not' syndrome??
Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:45 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone else keep changing their mind about going to Oz??

Originally Posted by devonshiredumpling
Just wondered if anybody else can talk themselves into and out of moving to Oz as much as me and my husband do.

We have lived in Oz before for two years and loved it. We came home to have children near our family and now we've had our children we want to move back to Oz. The problem is we are all set for moving over there then I will get doubts and start talking myself into staying in the UK. We live in a fairly nice area of the UK (Devon) and I know the children will miss their grandparents. I've found that our mood usually follows the seasons! Here comes the winter and surprise surprise we want to move to Australia!

The constant weighing up of which place is better drives me mad! Anybody else suffer with 'should we, should we not' syndrome??
Welcome to my world
I have been doing this for years. We had our visa's (bar medicals) 2.5 years ago and were all set to go when several events meant we had to stay.
Now I'm ready to go again and, lo and behold, life has picked up here no end (financially and socially). Factor into that the poor exchange rate and difficult housing markets and I'm back to square one.

I don't have any advice, just wanted you to know that you're not the only one
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kapri
Welcome to my world
I have been doing this for years. We had our visa's (bar medicals) 2.5 years ago and were all set to go when several events meant we had to stay.
Now I'm ready to go again and, lo and behold, life has picked up here no end (financially and socially). Factor into that the poor exchange rate and difficult housing markets and I'm back to square one.

I don't have any advice, just wanted you to know that you're not the only one
That's good to hear!

We also can't decide where to live in Oz. We were all set on moving to Perth and now we're looking at Melbourne. However if money was no object I think I would be in Sydney.

Where are you planning on moving to? That's if you don't change your mind!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:41 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

That's good to hear!

We also can't decide where to live in Oz. We were all set on moving to Perth and now we're looking at Melbourne. However if money was no object I think I would be in Sydney.

The difference in cost with those cities is next to nothing. Perth surely is the most expesnive now.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Weebie
The difference in cost with those cities is next to nothing. Perth surely is the most expesnive now.
Rentals in Perth appear to be alot cheaper than in Sydney or Melbourne.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

We are on the same boat (almost).... validated our visas 2 years back and were waiting it out for the recession to be over. Well, job market has definitely improved in Oz but the exchange rate and house prices have now made it harder for us to decide. So, the options are..... 1. go now and take a hit, 2. delay for 1 more year for exchange rate and house prices to settle (if at all), or 3. just decide to stay back and forget the Oz dream.

At this moment, I am more inclined to go for option 1. But rest assured, this is going to change in next couple of hours.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you! It's a huge decision.

We were just about to book our flights and my mum took seriously ill. She's not long out of hospital but not too sure at the moment about her longer term health. This has really affected me and although we still plan on going, it's extremely difficult at the moment to think about it without feeling concern/sadness for my parents. They're not old, in their early 60's but in their heads they are about 80 odd....

You are not alone!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:01 pm
acb
Just Joined

acb is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been doing it for 4years! Have lived in OZ twice for three years in total, we then come back to England and start thinking about going back to OZ all over again!!??? Who ever said life was easy?? Our PR visa expires Feb 2010 so we are deciding once and for all again!!!!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If it aint broke, dont fix it. Just keep on doing what you are doing and get your adventure from taking those nice long holidays that the Poms get. If you have a good job and a nice house in a nice place with a good support network and the kids love the school they are in then dont chuck it in for a bit of sunshine and melanoma.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
If it aint broke, dont fix it. Just keep on doing what you are doing and get your adventure from taking those nice long holidays that the Poms get. If you have a good job and a nice house in a nice place with a good support network and the kids love the school they are in then dont chuck it in for a bit of sunshine and melanoma.
I'm intrigued by the "nice long holidays that the Poms get"?
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by acb
We have been doing it for 4years! Have lived in OZ twice for three years in total, we then come back to England and start thinking about going back to OZ all over again!!??? Who ever said life was easy?? Our PR visa expires Feb 2010 so we are deciding once and for all again!!!!
Has it expired or is that date a typo?
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:18 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Does anyone else keep changing their mind about going to Oz??

We have lived in Oz before for two years and loved it. We came home to have children near our family and now we've had our children we want to move back to Oz.
Same same. I think everyone has doubts. We too wanted to move back down under when we had kids. We ended up doing a reccie to Brisbane and Melbourne to help make our minds up (and have a good holiday!)

BB
Old Oct 7th 2010, 10:00 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to hear!

Just to really shake things up...we attended the open evening tonight for our local high school - it's in the top 25% in the country, has loads of extracurricular activities ...and it's free at point of access. Apparently to get the same in Australia we will have to pay through the nose.

As to where we would live - we were initially set for melbourne and did all our research for there, then I got a good job offer in Perth and so we were headed for there!
This time we are looking at the Gold Coast as we have been there before and liked it. However, I understand work may be an issue for my OH so it's not an easy decision.

My head is wrecked...only one solution
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes we've been faff arsin around for years
Actually to the poin we feel like we're imbetween 2 roads, not so much that we don't know what we want but previously the decisions we've made have for whatever reason been the wrong one

Hubby got offered a job back in 2005 to go work for a company in Melbourne - it no longer exists however we went out in 2006 and had a look - liked what we saw, had a massive slap in realism about how things are done over there.
It took another year to get the visa sorted, by the time we had the visa sitting in our hands the company went before we even moved out there - prob a blessing.
Then did a reccie to validate, hubby had a couple of interviews and was given a job a month later - we had 1 month to pack up and get out there !!
To cut a long story short found out I was pregnant and a few weeks later found I have a heart complication, not good news - especially when we knew no one in Sydney and I really wasn't well
my dad came out and basically frog marched me and the kids home - even tho by the time the flights were booked I wasn't convinced I wanted to leave !!!
Anyway came back, got sicker, had to have my daughter early and it prob took about a year for me to feel 'well' again, hubby got a job back here easy - we lost any dispoable income tho in faffing back and to Oz and owed my dad a load of money.
Sydney still wanted my husband back and they said they'd negotiate so we got our daughter a visa, however hubby was told what others were earning in his department and so tried to negotiate for more money - especially bearing in mind we had extra mouth to feed and place, no go they did a swift u turn and we never heard anything else from them.
Anyway at that time my husbands brother passed away and in a panic we said it's a sign we should stay, the kids an hubby were in a state and well still not good but things aren't the same here, we had sold our house and are now sitting in a not very nice UK rental and paid a nice big deposit for a new house thats being built....
Trouble is since Sydney fell through we have felt lost here, we've not been happy here, we don't really see any family regularly, things have changed there too.
We nearly booked to validate daughters visa at half term but it's SOOOOO expensive and if we did and then stayed here we'd have no furniture to put in the new house !!!
Then low and behold as we decided not to go - hubby gets an email today from a print company in Brisbane !!!!
Hubby's emailed back so lets see - IF hubby can get a good job over there I now think we'd be stupod not to go - we're no longer leaving anything behind, whats a nice new home thats gonna be so expensive it means we both have to work and limit going out holidays etc when you don't have any family locally that wants to see you!
An friends that well I use the term loosely, we have less than a handful of friends in a 10 mile radius, acquintances that we say hi to, but lost lots of friends in 2008 when we went to Sydney and came back - go figure.

So lets see if hubby gets this job or another job - if not I guess we'll have to lump it and stay !
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:40 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Does anyone else keep changing their mind about going to Oz??

Originally Posted by JenJen
Trouble is since Sydney fell through we have felt lost here, we've not been happy here, we don't really see any family regularly, things have changed there too.
This is the horrible horrible "Limbo" state - I feel for you Jen.

When people decide they want to emigrate and then for whatever reason they do not emigrate, the feelings that led to the original decision are still there, but they are unrequited, which is a nasty situation to be in.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.