Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anybody live in the City denter of Brisbane

Does anybody live in the City denter of Brisbane

Old May 18th 2005, 2:23 pm
Banned

Dirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant future
Default Does anybody live in the City denter of Brisbane

I'm looking to move over to Brisbane next year, and was just wondering what the apartments were like, cost wise, size, views and so on.

Is anyone living in the city center of Brisbane. If so, what is the nightlife like, pubs clubs etc. Whats it like living in the center?

Dirk
Old May 18th 2005, 8:05 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Does anybody live in the City denter of Brisbane

Originally Posted by Dirk Gently
I'm looking to move over to Brisbane next year, and was just wondering what the apartments were like, cost wise, size, views and so on.

Is anyone living in the city center of Brisbane. If so, what is the nightlife like, pubs clubs etc. Whats it like living in the center?

Dirk
Hi Dirk

We live in South Bank - so about 20 mins walk to CBD. We are renting a 1 bed apartment at the moment (see here:http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=34281 for views).

It's pretty pricey for a one bedroom place, but did come fully furnished and the views for the River Fire Festival are going to make it all worth while! We are paying $360 per week.

Our apartment block (Riviera Apartments) are pretty much like any of the other apartments in the area in that they come with pool, sauna, spa, Gym, etc.

We like living here. We can be on the Arbour and eating at any of the restaurants on Stanley Street in minutes. There's always loads of things going on at the weekends as well. A couple of weekends ago we went to the Buddah Birthday festival (http://www.thejuice.com.au/juicypics...sp?eventID=401) - we're bottom left!, and last weekend there was an 80's street party on Stanley Street. This coming weekend there's auditions for Australian Idol at the Suncorp Plaza (at South Bank) so will either give it a crack or just watch others make a tit of themselves!

If you don't have kids, it's probably ideal (balconies probably aren't child-friendly).

For nightlife, the centre can be a little quiet depending on what you're used to in the UK. The Valley has quite a buzz though and there are quite a few diverse clubs to keep you entertained.

Haven't frequented them, but loads of topless/pole dancing bars in the centre .

To buy an apartement, you looking at shelling out quite a bit for not a lot of room, which is why we are looking to buy a house out of the city.

We looked at a couple of two bed apartments, one in our block and one new development on the outskirts of the CBD itself. Both very similar in size (about 90m sq) and both similar in cost ($490,000).

We're going for a house because for the same price you can get approx. 900m sq of space!

All in all, if we weren't looking to invest our money in property, we'd probably end up staying in the centre. Wherever we end up, we definately want to be within a short car drive here, a) because of work b) because of the buzz round South Bank on weekends.

Hope that helps.

R

p.s. check out www.seqrents.com.au and check out the city apartments to get an idea for other costs.
Old May 19th 2005, 12:36 pm
Banned

Dirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does anybody live in the City denter of Brisbane

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Hi Dirk

We live in South Bank - so about 20 mins walk to CBD. We are renting a 1 bed apartment at the moment (see here:http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=34281 for views).

It's pretty pricey for a one bedroom place, but did come fully furnished and the views for the River Fire Festival are going to make it all worth while! We are paying $360 per week.

Our apartment block (Riviera Apartments) are pretty much like any of the other apartments in the area in that they come with pool, sauna, spa, Gym, etc.

We like living here. We can be on the Arbour and eating at any of the restaurants on Stanley Street in minutes. There's always loads of things going on at the weekends as well. A couple of weekends ago we went to the Buddah Birthday festival (http://www.thejuice.com.au/juicypics...sp?eventID=401) - we're bottom left!, and last weekend there was an 80's street party on Stanley Street. This coming weekend there's auditions for Australian Idol at the Suncorp Plaza (at South Bank) so will either give it a crack or just watch others make a tit of themselves!

If you don't have kids, it's probably ideal (balconies probably aren't child-friendly).

For nightlife, the centre can be a little quiet depending on what you're used to in the UK. The Valley has quite a buzz though and there are quite a few diverse clubs to keep you entertained.

Haven't frequented them, but loads of topless/pole dancing bars in the centre .

To buy an apartement, you looking at shelling out quite a bit for not a lot of room, which is why we are looking to buy a house out of the city.

We looked at a couple of two bed apartments, one in our block and one new development on the outskirts of the CBD itself. Both very similar in size (about 90m sq) and both similar in cost ($490,000).

We're going for a house because for the same price you can get approx. 900m sq of space!

All in all, if we weren't looking to invest our money in property, we'd probably end up staying in the centre. Wherever we end up, we definately want to be within a short car drive here, a) because of work b) because of the buzz round South Bank on weekends.

Hope that helps.

R

p.s. check out www.seqrents.com.au and check out the city apartments to get an idea for other costs.
Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for that! Southbank was one of the areas I was looking at. The view from your apartment looks great!

I've had two friends that lived around there, and one who lived up the river(?) I think, and new farm, and got a ferry along the river to work. She said it was great there too, and quite a bit cheaper, but with river views, so I'm keeping all options open until I see the places myself!

I'm thinking of doing a trip over in September, around the time of the festival, can you believe all the hotels with decent river views of the festival are already fully booked!

Thanks again,
Dirk