Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anybody have a gardener?

Does anybody have a gardener?

Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all
Default Does anybody have a gardener?

Hello all, Does anybody employ a gardener? I have a really great garden but it is native and on a slope. I am having problems getting to parts of it and it really needs pruning back, plus there be creepy crawlies in there I just wondered what the going rate would be for general maintainance, pruning etc. I have a few coming round to give me quotes, but always good to check here Thanks for any help
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anybody have a gardener?

Originally Posted by linloo
Hello all, Does anybody employ a gardener? I have a really great garden but it is native and on a slope. I am having problems getting to parts of it and it really needs pruning back, plus there be creepy crawlies in there I just wondered what the going rate would be for general maintainance, pruning etc. I have a few coming round to give me quotes, but always good to check here Thanks for any help
I'm feeling very decadent as we now have a " lawn man " -I'd rather have a pool man but we have to get the pool first
James Home Services are national (I think ) they're a franchise that comes round and will do gardens to whatever extent you want. We have a relatively small garden, mostly grass but its not a proper lawn, more like a weed strewn field. Costs about $45 every three weeks or so.

http://www.jameshomeservices.com.au/
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I pay $30 every couple of weeks to have my lawn cut, he normally adds $10 if I have fertilised it.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

I have just filled out the form for a free quote. I dont have a lawn as such its like giant boulders on a slope with loads of native plants. I can get to some of it, but its starting to get a bit overgrown in places and the vines round the house are non-stop
Attached Thumbnails Does anybody have a gardener?-up-house.jpg  
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:18 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by linloo
Try Jim's - again another franchise.. We have used them in the past. Started off with a great bloke who then sold his franchise to a not so good bloke. Then we got another Jims guy in, who was great... they're pretty reasonably priced too... we just got them to mow the grass and do a bit of weeding.
Good luck
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm feeling very decadent as we now have a " lawn man " -I'd rather have a pool man but we have to get the pool first
James Home Services are national (I think ) they're a franchise that comes round and will do gardens to whatever extent you want. We have a relatively small garden, mostly grass but its not a proper lawn, more like a weed strewn field. Costs about $45 every three weeks or so.

http://www.jameshomeservices.com.au/
Snob
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:45 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Snob
Great isn't it! I feel like landed gentry
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:55 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Great isn't it! I feel like landed gentry
do you sit on the PAYSHEOO ( posh Patio ) sipping martinis with pinky finger curled up?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Does anybody have a gardener?

Originally Posted by SonicBird
Try Jim's - again another franchise.. We have used them in the past. Started off with a great bloke who then sold his franchise to a not so good bloke. Then we got another Jims guy in, who was great... they're pretty reasonably priced too... we just got them to mow the grass and do a bit of weeding.
Good luck
Yehp I like Jim's franchise people, they are always competitively priced, and most do a damn good job.

I'm slightly miffed because we found the best Jims gardening bloke we ever had, who actually landscaped most of my back garden for me. The last part Cost about 1400 bucks for 3 days work including materials + plants (including 6 mature plants @ 75 bucks each) which I thought was pretty damn good, well he left and went back to IT work.

I'm in the market for another Jims bloke. I cut my own grass, I get the Jims blokes to deal with the Trees and bushes and Canary Island date palms etc, where the throngs have needle like barbs and the quantity of waste tends to fill one of their big trailers. I get them in about once every 3 months or so, for a big clean up, Circa 300 bucks including getting rid of Waste. Or for smaller pruning jobs, around 30 bucks for an hour or more, if they are good they do a hell of a lot in that hour.

I decided to use Jims after pruning 4 trees over the course of a weekend, and ending up with a huge mound of branches and cuttings. So not only did I lose one whole weekend (a big no no when thats all the socializing time you get because of working night shift). Then I had to pay 170 bucks to get a large skip to put it all in.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:28 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Jim's here too.... the one that comes here looks like a grey Ken Dodd, always makes me giggle
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
Yep, Jim's here too.... the one that comes here looks like a grey Ken Dodd, always makes me giggle
Why? Does he bring his tickling stick with him?? :embaressed_smile:
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:17 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tictac
Why? Does he bring his tickling stick with him?? :embaressed_smile:
I bet he's a cash-in-hand no receipt sort of guy too.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:19 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
do you sit on the PAYSHEOO ( posh Patio ) sipping martinis with pinky finger curled up?
Bottles of sparkling Pink and Tasmanian Brie actually
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

My OH is a window cleaner on the GC - and our main competitors are Jims and James - although he is a lot cheaper. If I was you I would get a quote from them and then call a couple self employed people out of the yellow pages as well. Thats just my opinion though as I have seen how hard its been trying to build up his business.

Last edited by emmyjc1; Nov 21st 2007 at 4:10 am.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:48 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Bottles of sparkling Pink and Tasmanian Brie actually
Pmsl here i get the wife, shoutin her bloody orders off the patio !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.