Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does anybody get ill in Oz?

Does anybody get ill in Oz?

Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:32 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anybody get ill in Oz?

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
Hi Jacky
I must admit when i was in Uk (post office manager) I was always getting colds, sore throats but since iv been here and now a lady of leisure iv never felt better,im sure your children will thrive on the good weather and the winter isnt to bad a bit warmer than the north of england where i came from originally good luck with your move
best wishes janet
Janet
I have to agree with this post. Since i have lived in the Uk I feel like I have always had a runny nose be it in winter or any other season. But when Iv'e gone back to oz for a holiday they have disapreared. Before I move to the Uk, I rarely ever had this problem - only when I had a cold and that didn't keep me off work. My rule of thumb is - if I can get out of bed and eat breakfast i can go to work - same rule applies to my son going to school. - what a hard mum I am. Good thing about this is that my son knows not to put it on. so when he really isn't feeling well it's totally genuine and he really is ill.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:23 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

My friend works for the Local council... all the girls in her office take their full entitlement of sick EVERY year... to the point where they compare how many days they've each had.

The guys in the factory where OH works are much the same... then they all moan when they get crap salary awards.... OH has had 4 days sick in 17 years service... He's paid very well for his efforts, but it has been a question payment by results!!!

I was reading something about sickies being a national pasttime in Australia!!! Not true I'm sure! , but as I've already demonstrated, I think it's just as rife right here! Not that I'm passing judgement or anything... I'm partial to a duvet day myself!!!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Sick pay does accumulate each year so whatever isn't used within a year is added onto the next year's.

If you don't have enough days to cover the time you're sick - well - you don't get paid. It makes sense to not waste sick pay by taking 'sickies' (AKA a day off) unnecessarily.
A lot of employers bar govt. do not roll sick leave entitlement over, very few of mine have, and this explains why plenty of employees use their entire quota every year.

Originally Posted by x evie x
So to pose another daft question what do people do for sick pay in oz. I am shortly moving to Queensland and my new employer Queensland Health seems to only offer 2 weeks sick pay, unless I have read it wrong!
Sounds like you have a good deal there! The norm (private sector) is usually 5-6 days a year.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

p.s. I would agree that you get lurgies here, just like the UK but I think you just feel healthier here (maybe it's the weather and being outdoors more).
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
A lot of employers bar govt. do not roll sick leave entitlement over, very few of mine have, and this explains why plenty of employees use their entire quota every year.
It's the law that sick leave is accumulated from year to year. The QLD Department of Employment and Industrial Relations website states 'Any unused paid sick leave entitlement is carried over into subsequent years'.

http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/leave...eave_faqs.html

Every employer I've ever had (in NSW) always rolled over sick leave. If you've never had sick pay rolled over then I'd check with them - sounds like your employer could be a bit dodgy.

Last edited by NickyC; Oct 9th 2007 at 2:24 am.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NickyC
sounds like your employer could be a bit dodgy.
haha, that would be right!! thanks for the info. i looked back at my last contract and it says it was cumulative so i stand corrected. the couple that didn't were v small businesses (i.e. 2 staff) who didn't bother much with rules and regulations!

i'm at uni now so i don't need to worry thankfully!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:00 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
My friend works for the Local council... all the girls in her office take their full entitlement of sick EVERY year... to the point where they compare how many days they've each had.

The guys in the factory where OH works are much the same... then they all moan when they get crap salary awards.... OH has had 4 days sick in 17 years service... He's paid very well for his efforts, but it has been a question payment by results!!!

I was reading something about sickies being a national pasttime in Australia!!! Not true I'm sure! , but as I've already demonstrated, I think it's just as rife right here! Not that I'm passing judgement or anything... I'm partial to a duvet day myself!!!

ahh a duvet (doona) day is different from a sickie
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:57 pm
life's good

allison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by allthejs
Hi all, lovely day here today, the sun is shining, the leaves are falling and I am happy! Still can't wait to be in Oz when the sun shines alot more

Now that the kids are back to school and the weather is starting to cool down the coughs and colds have started already. Does the same happen in Oz?

It seems that we get through from about March to September without any sniffles but as soon as they return in September it all starts again and we spend the full winter with ill children.

Stupid question I know but I was just curious. Please don't all shout at me at once

Jacky xx
I hope so or I would be out of a job! No seriously i was kept busy over July/August with flu season. Also see alot of giardia ie dairrhoeal infection (most of the locals are on tank water) It seems to occur after heavy rains!

My 2y old is in day care and so far (touch wood) she hasn't had a day off sick in 6m. Unlike UK when she was constantly snotty and crook!

I have had a fair few minor ailments this year and also a recurrence of psoriasis (which I haven't had in 21y) I have put it down to the stress of moving and hosue buying. Now looking forward to a healthier summer!