British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Does anybody get ill in Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/does-anybody-get-ill-oz-485504/)

allthejs Oct 5th 2007 3:16 pm

Does anybody get ill in Oz?

Hi all, lovely day here today, the sun is shining, the leaves are falling and I am happy!:) Still can't wait to be in Oz when the sun shines alot more:)

Now that the kids are back to school and the weather is starting to cool down the coughs and colds have started already. Does the same happen in Oz?

It seems that we get through from about March to September without any sniffles but as soon as they return in September it all starts again and we spend the full winter with ill children.

Stupid question I know but I was just curious. Please don't all shout at me at once:)

Jacky xx

Blossom Oct 5th 2007 4:27 pm

Re: Does anybody get ill in Oz?

Yes they do. Also my lot suffered more with allergies, particularly hayfever, over in Oz far more than they do here.

Timber Floor Au Oct 5th 2007 8:46 pm

G'day Jacky,

Funny you should ask..

Aussies suffer from the flu, and I mean really suffer, like its a body toxin, similar to canine rabies.
I would say that the aussie immune system isnt quite as tolerant of flu type viruses as the poms.
Over here, schools can be closed if an outbreak of flu occurs, kids are sent home, and special flu packs are handed out at public events such as Ekka.

My mate , Wayne, whom I work with, is an adelodian, yep a mexican, and he has, as he puts it, got "Wog" real bad.

Kinda makes me smile, seeing him suffer, which I know is rather sick lol..

Wife used to suffer from Hay Fever in uk, but never really had it here.

There is a strange phenomenen in Oz, tho... spot the pom.!

Walk thru a busy mall, and look for the fella wearing thongs, black socks, red man utd shorts and pink legs, no sock tan. Then watch as he tries to walk, hold a bag and itch his mozzy bit ankles.

Steve

Pollyana Oct 6th 2007 1:07 am

At one point this winter we had two staff off in three across the whole department, with various strains of flu etc.
Australia isn't paradise, it's just another country, and people get sick here just like everywhere else.

chris and farideh Oct 6th 2007 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5391841)
At one point this winter we had two staff off in three across the whole department, with various strains of flu etc.
Australia isn't paradise, it's just another country, and people get sick here just like everywhere else.

Also the flu killed 5 children in different state, & few adults this winter.

chris and farideh Oct 6th 2007 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5391121)
G'day Jacky,

Funny you should ask..

Aussies suffer from the flu, and I mean really suffer, like its a body toxin, similar to canine rabies.
I would say that the aussie immune system isnt quite as tolerant of flu type viruses as the poms.
Over here, schools can be closed if an outbreak of flu occurs, kids are sent home, and special flu packs are handed out at public events such as Ekka.

My mate , Wayne, whom I work with, is an adelodian, yep a mexican, and he has, as he puts it, got "Wog" real bad.

Kinda makes me smile, seeing him suffer, which I know is rather sick lol..

Wife used to suffer from Hay Fever in uk, but never really had it here.

There is a strange phenomenen in Oz, tho... spot the pom.!

Walk thru a busy mall, and look for the fella wearing thongs, black socks, red man utd shorts and pink legs, no sock tan. Then watch as he tries to walk, hold a bag and itch his mozzy bit ankles.

Steve

I have not seen any poms like that in SA, but I have seen chaves,.:eek:

geordie downunder Oct 6th 2007 2:27 am

Originally Posted by allthejs (Post 5390156)
Hi all, lovely day here today, the sun is shining, the leaves are falling and I am happy!:) Still can't wait to be in Oz when the sun shines alot more:)

Now that the kids are back to school and the weather is starting to cool down the coughs and colds have started already. Does the same happen in Oz?

It seems that we get through from about March to September without any sniffles but as soon as they return in September it all starts again and we spend the full winter with ill children.

Stupid question I know but I was just curious. Please don't all shout at me at once:)

Jacky xx

All that lovely sunshine gives you skin cancer,if you disregard that then nobody is ever ill here.

We all live in mansions on the beach,work around 10 hrs per month,and have BBQ,s round the pool for the rest of the time.

I did hear a rumour that they were thinking of building a hospital just in case anybody ever got ill,that got laughed at very loudly.

OZ really is a land of milk and honey,the pigs even fly here,you just shoot one down to fire up the barbie round the pool.

tyke Oct 6th 2007 2:49 am

Originally Posted by chris and farideh (Post 5391867)
I have not seen any poms like that in SA, but I have seen chaves,.:eek:

:lol::lol:

The word "Feral" is a good one to use here ;)

jensteve Oct 6th 2007 8:50 am

The amount of gastro here is amazing. I really don't know how to describe it but everybody I work with has some sort of gastro ailment every few weeks, that with flu that aussies seem to get every year, I reckon I am the only one in work who has not had a sick day since arriving in AU.
Jenny

windog Oct 6th 2007 9:39 am

Originally Posted by jensteve (Post 5392648)
The amount of gastro here is amazing. I really don't know how to describe it but everybody I work with has some sort of gastro ailment every few weeks, that with flu that aussies seem to get every year, I reckon I am the only one in work who has not had a sick day since arriving in AU.
Jenny

Do you feel you may be missing the point!:D I think every body else at your works is skiving 5 or 6 days a month and leaving you to take up the slack!:rofl:

Pollyana Oct 6th 2007 10:08 am

Originally Posted by jensteve (Post 5392648)
Jenny

We have a lot of people go off regularly claiming "gastro" too - though I'm sure a fair amount are skiving, it's quite alarming to see the number of people who are physically sick at work and end up having to go home. We had three people off recently with horrendous sore throats and other associated complaints. After tests it was established that they had legionella - I asked if it had been reported, and the answer was that they had told Facilities, who weren't really interested and said it must have been caught "somewhere else".

We also had asbestos removed from the roof recently in part of the building - they said there was no health risk cos "the aircon was turned off", but it was a bit worrying walking outside in the wind and getting bits of roof blown into one's face :eek:

FRAYNE Oct 6th 2007 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5392783)
We have a lot of people go off regularly claiming "gastro" too - though I'm sure a fair amount are skiving, it's quite alarming to see the number of people who are physically sick at work and end up having to go home. We had three people off recently with horrendous sore throats and other associated complaints. After tests it was established that they had legionella - I asked if it had been reported, and the answer was that they had told Facilities, who weren't really interested and said it must have been caught "somewhere else".

We also had asbestos removed from the roof recently in part of the building - they said there was no health risk cos "the aircon was turned off", but it was a bit worrying walking outside in the wind and getting bits of roof blown into one's face :eek:

Well weve been here 10 monthes and iv had a cold sore:( and hubby found out he has a agresive cancer :thumbdown:other than that were fine:(
Janet

allthejs Oct 6th 2007 11:01 am

Originally Posted by FRAYNE (Post 5392875)
Well weve been here 10 monthes and iv had a cold sore:( and hubby found out he has a agresive cancer :thumbdown:other than that were fine:(
Janet

So sorry to hear that Janet. My thoughts are with you hun.

For everybody else, thanks for your replies. It is a genuine concern for me because with five kiddies it seems that they are constantly poorly over the winter months. It also appears that they bounce back quite quickly whereas I tend to take longer to get over anything!

Jacky xx

FRAYNE Oct 6th 2007 11:15 am

Originally Posted by allthejs (Post 5392938)
So sorry to hear that Janet. My thoughts are with you hun.

For everybody else, thanks for your replies. It is a genuine concern for me because with five kiddies it seems that they are constantly poorly over the winter months. It also appears that they bounce back quite quickly whereas I tend to take longer to get over anything!

Jacky xx

Hi Jacky
I must admit when i was in Uk (post office manager) I was always getting colds, sore throats but since iv been here and now a lady of leisure iv never felt better,im sure your children will thrive on the good weather and the winter isnt to bad a bit warmer than the north of england where i came from originally good luck with your move
best wishes janet:)
Janet:)

alipally Oct 6th 2007 11:22 am

OMG! Pollyanna!

I'd read about the Aussie attitude to work, but I have to say I didn't really believe it!
Strange about the Legionaires disease..... It'd make the news here.... Esp. since the hospital is responsible for reporting it to Public Health Department... Just goes to show that the UK does do some things right!

I hope they've fixed the cooling towers, otherwise more of you will get it!

Ali x