Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

does anybody actually live in point cook

does anybody actually live in point cook

Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold
Default does anybody actually live in point cook

Ive read on this site several people looking into Point Cook as a possible area to settle in Melbourne. We are looking to live in the Western suburbs as that is where my family libe but Williamstown is a bit too expensive and my Family live in Melton and thats a bit too rural for me.
Ive looked at Point Cook and it looks nice, family orientated etc, as I have 3 young girls (8,6 &3) Id be looking at schools, parks swimming pools beaches etc. Does anybody have experience of this suburb or anywhere in the western suburbs?

Many thanks
Louise
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does anybody actually live in point cook

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Ive read on this site several people looking into Point Cook as a possible area to settle in Melbourne. We are looking to live in the Western suburbs as that is where my family libe but Williamstown is a bit too expensive and my Family live in Melton and thats a bit too rural for me.
Ive looked at Point Cook and it looks nice, family orientated etc, as I have 3 young girls (8,6 &3) Id be looking at schools, parks swimming pools beaches etc. Does anybody have experience of this suburb or anywhere in the western suburbs?

Many thanks
Louise

PM Fraser, he lives there
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Reading - now the Beautiful Central Coast!
MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice

Many thanks
Louise
Louise

My sister lives there - she's having a house built there at the moment. We're off out there on Thursday this week and have not been there before so I can let you know what we think and also what she thinks when we get back at the end of February if you like?

Tracy
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MurphFam
Louise

My sister lives there - she's having a house built there at the moment. We're off out there on Thursday this week and have not been there before so I can let you know what we think and also what she thinks when we get back at the end of February if you like?

Tracy
Brill, thanks
Have a great time, all info greatly appreciated.
Louise
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MurphFam
Louise

Tracy
What a coincidence...we're from Reading and are building there too!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

Many thanks
Louise
We moved to Point Cook in December, it's lovely, its quiet, has everything you need on the door step and is close enough to everything you want.
Theres a swimming pool in altona meadows, a lovely beach in Altona, and quite a few schools.
Sanctuary Lakes is close, that has swimming pool, golf courses, and 24/7 security, but for us that felt a little bit like Stepford.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:07 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks
Louise
Hi Louise

Thats where we're headed.
We had a holiday to Oz last March for a fortnight and our focus was on Point Cook to live as it will only be around 15 mins from hubby's work.
Alot of people say it looks baron but I quite liked it, it all looks very new and modern, contemporary meets traditional when it comes to the new estates. Lots of parks for the kids, cycle tracks, shopping areas.
We looked at P9 Carranballac college which would fit the ages of your kids (as my older two are also 8 and 6 - to be 9 and 7 this year) they are twinned with another school in Point Cook Called Jamieson, both schools are very modern and very well organised, the teachers seemed to have a good relationship with the kids the schools have their own school bus for trips etc.
Enrolling isn't a problem as long as you live in the new areas of Point Cook as the schools are zoned as to where you live. There are other schools some I think are Catholic.
Hopefully the schools would be as they seemed, because it all came across really well, the classes were a max of 28 I think but we were told they would open a new class if there were more students??? Wow the schools here would just cram them in.
The shops seem really nice, these incorporated a supermarket, Point Cook realestate which you can also view on their website and various other little shops.
There's probably some more shopping centres out there by now though, and there was a new dr's and pharmacy.
Sanctuary Lakes we thought looked a bit posh as we rolled up there with hubby keen to have a look at it, it was hot and we'd rolled up in shorts and t shirts or little vest top (me not hubby) couldn't go in the restaurant as there was a dress code but we could go in the cafe which is next to the gym and swimming pool and you can sit out looking over the lakes which was really nice the food was fantastic as was the service - very friendly.
The play areas and bbq's were really nice and dotted around all over the place there's even some water jets.

We looked round lots of plots of land and house types and being so close to the city I think you get the best of both worlds (it's about a 15 - 20 minute journey).

Wow would be nice to get to know some people going to the same place as we are

Nice to meet you

Jen
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
Hi Louise

Thats where we're headed.
We had a holiday to Oz last March for a fortnight and our focus was on Point Cook to live as it will only be around 15 mins from hubby's work.
Alot of people say it looks baron but I quite liked it, it all looks very new and modern, contemporary meets traditional when it comes to the new estates. Lots of parks for the kids, cycle tracks, shopping areas.
We looked at P9 Carranballac college which would fit the ages of your kids (as my older two are also 8 and 6 - to be 9 and 7 this year) they are twinned with another school in Point Cook Called Jamieson, both schools are very modern and very well organised, the teachers seemed to have a good relationship with the kids the schools have their own school bus for trips etc.
Enrolling isn't a problem as long as you live in the new areas of Point Cook as the schools are zoned as to where you live. There are other schools some I think are Catholic.
Hopefully the schools would be as they seemed, because it all came across really well, the classes were a max of 28 I think but we were told they would open a new class if there were more students??? Wow the schools here would just cram them in.
The shops seem really nice, these incorporated a supermarket, Point Cook realestate which you can also view on their website and various other little shops.
There's probably some more shopping centres out there by now though, and there was a new dr's and pharmacy.
Sanctuary Lakes we thought looked a bit posh as we rolled up there with hubby keen to have a look at it, it was hot and we'd rolled up in shorts and t shirts or little vest top (me not hubby) couldn't go in the restaurant as there was a dress code but we could go in the cafe which is next to the gym and swimming pool and you can sit out looking over the lakes which was really nice the food was fantastic as was the service - very friendly.
The play areas and bbq's were really nice and dotted around all over the place there's even some water jets.

We looked round lots of plots of land and house types and being so close to the city I think you get the best of both worlds (it's about a 15 - 20 minute journey).

Wow would be nice to get to know some people going to the same place as we are

Nice to meet you

Jen
The 'restaurant' is actually the golf clubhouse and that's why it has a dress code - it's one of Victoria's top courses now and PGA tournaments are played there (Greg Norman designed). In theory it is 'members only' but, providing you are dressed OK, you can go in and have a meal, coffee etc. A few piccies at SL's incl clubhouse:

OzTennis
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The 'restaurant' is actually the golf clubhouse and that's why it has a dress code - it's one of Victoria's top courses now and PGA tournaments are played there (Greg Norman designed). In theory it is 'members only' but, providing you are dressed OK, you can go in and have a meal, coffee etc. A few piccies at SL's incl clubhouse:

OzTennis
We just noticed the dress code, looked at ourselves and laughed heading for teh cafe hoping for service
Attached Thumbnails does anybody actually live in point cook-dsc00067.jpg   does anybody actually live in point cook-dsc00066.jpg  
Old Feb 6th 2007, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Reading - now the Beautiful Central Coast!
MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
What a coincidence...we're from Reading and are building there too!
Hey what a small world! Whereabouts in Reading you from and how long you been out there? We're moving out as soon as we get our visas through. Live in Tilehurst at the moment - OH is a chippy. We'll be flying out on Thursday morning from Heathrow for a visit so will be in your neck of the woods on Friday evening!

Tracy
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:02 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i lived in melbourne for a year b4 Perth we stayed in hoppers crossing which isnt to far from point cook, the western suburbs are deemed to be less desirable than other parts of melbourne, but i thought it was ok there!! I dont drive and there was plenty ammenties close by point cook has shopping centre with a pharmacy, supermarket etc...

kezxx
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
Hi, i lived in melbourne for a year b4 Perth we stayed in hoppers crossing which isnt to far from point cook, the western suburbs are deemed to be less desirable than other parts of melbourne, but i thought it was ok there!! I dont drive and there was plenty ammenties close by point cook has shopping centre with a pharmacy, supermarket etc...

kezxx
Just let the masses keep thinking the burbs over an hour from the CBD are the desirable ones and the property values in the west will remain where they are - very good VFM. Williamstown for example is Brighton at half the price for the same type of property - much better views too.

Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes have rapidly developing amenities and a stock of new, well priced properties. Werribee, Wyndham Vale and Hoppers are expanding quickly too. (I can remember the days of only paddocks, fields if you like, between Altona and Werribee with an airfield at PC and Laverton and farm after farm. A relative of my father owned Innisfail farm on which one of PC's new estates now stands. I wished I'd known how much land would sell for now in these areas! A Malaysian came out and bought the old Cheetham Salt Works on which SL's now stands).

OzTennis
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Just let the masses keep thinking the burbs over an hour from the CBD are the desirable ones and the property values in the west will remain where they are - very good VFM. Williamstown for example is Brighton at half the price for the same type of property - much better views too.

Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes have rapidly developing amenities and a stock of new, well priced properties. Werribee, Wyndham Vale and Hoppers are expanding quickly too. (I can remember the days of only paddocks, fields if you like, between Altona and Werribee with an airfield at PC and Laverton and farm after farm. A relative of my father owned Innisfail farm on which one of PC's new estates now stands. I wished I'd known how much land would sell for now in these areas! A Malaysian came out and bought the old Cheetham Salt Works on which SL's now stands).

OzTennis

Wow OzTennis how long you been out there for ?
Are you in Point Cook or just know the area?

Jen
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some threads where I've posted W'town piccies:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...79#post4290179

Post 4 at http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...pic=2321&st=0&

OzTennis
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JenJen
Wow OzTennis how long you been out there for ?
Are you in Point Cook or just know the area?

Jen
Come from Williamstown, live in Scotland now (Scottish wife, I met in Melbourne), going back to Williamstown in future, thought about buying a place at SL's so visited there often since it started in early 90's, eventually bought next to my parents on the waterfront at W'town. As I said, visited Innisfail Farm often as a nipper, it is now a big part of the built up area of PC. I did some teaching practices at Werribee HS (friend is now the principal), visited and played tennis there etc so all in all I know all that area well.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.