Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

doctors visit costs

doctors visit costs

Old Aug 14th 2003, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default doctors visit costs

Hi everyone
wondered if this will help anyone,
In the UK I used to have to go regularly to docs for check ups, went for my first one here yesterday, i had an extended appointment, which i only had to pay the gap fee of $17.40. the medical centre billed medicare direct for the rest , 3 items of prescription pills, cost $21.85, also had to have blood tests done today, wondered how much that was going to cost, but when I asked the nurse she said nothing blood tests were covered fully by medicare. Not feeling too good at the moment, so got to go back next week!

My mother has to have regularly blood tests for her INR count, As she is coming for 6 weeks at christmas, I asked if she can have them there, she said yes, but will have to pay $42.50, If she was staying longer (nurse wasn't sure how long for) she would be entitled to a blue interim medicare card. Haven't looked into wether mum would be able to claim it back once she got back to the UK.

c-ya Yve
Old Aug 14th 2003, 2:07 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: doctors visit costs

Originally posted by abergas
Hi everyone
i had an extended appointment, which i only had to pay the gap fee of $17.40.

c-ya Yve
I have been to see a doctor here to, as I get ashma and need various inhalers. I went to a doctor that Bulk Bills so had to pay nothing, having problems with the inhaler I was given though and she hasn't been the most helpfull doctor in the world!? Do you get a better 'service' do you think, if you pay a bit, I found that waiting to see the bulk billed doctor was like a factory chain, 1 in, 1 out, 1 in, 1 out etc...????
Old Aug 14th 2003, 3:08 am
Carol in Oz

Originally posted by janeyray
I have been to see a doctor here to, as I get ashma and need various inhalers. I went to a doctor that Bulk Bills so had to pay nothing, having problems with the inhaler I was given though and she hasn't been the most helpfull doctor in the world!? Do you get a better 'service' do you think, if you pay a bit, I found that waiting to see the bulk billed doctor was like a factory chain, 1 in, 1 out, 1 in, 1 out etc...????

Am not a fan of bulk billing doctors myself. As you say its like an assembly line.
Friend of mine tells me her doctor surgery can only see 74? patients a day between all doctors there. Any one coming after that cannot be seen. Been told it is something to do with doctors who were rorting the scheme. Most doctors seem now to be charging extra if you have a long visit cant say that I like sitting there looking at the clock to see how much my visit will cost.
One good thing about where I go is that if the doc says come back next week to check on things, then the cost is free to me(bulk billed for that visit only)
Shop around for a different doctor if I were you.

Carol

Old Aug 14th 2003, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Are all Aussie Doctors taught art at Med School these days, or is it just the ones I`ve visited?

On each occasion I`ve been to the Drs here (and I`ve seen a few different ones with the children mostly), when they eventually decide to diagnose your illness (and believe me, they can certainly spin that part of the consultation out way past the "quickie" appointment, thus notching up another few bucks) they insist on drawing an intricate diagram of the affected body part.

This usually takes another 5-10 minutes, thus taking the patient into the next "charging bracket".

Very cunning.

Last time I went, and the Doc got out his pencil I told him I`d got a Grays Anatomy at home and could he just give me the page reference and save me another $50 bucks!!!
Old Aug 14th 2003, 3:54 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone
wondered if this will help anyone,
In the UK I used to have to go regularly to docs for check ups, went for my first one here yesterday, i had an extended appointment, which i only had to pay the gap fee of $17.40. the medical centre billed medicare direct for the rest , 3 items of prescription pills, cost $21.85, also had to have blood tests done today, wondered how much that was going to cost, but when I asked the nurse she said nothing blood tests were covered fully by medicare. Not feeling too good at the moment, so got to go back next week!

My mother has to have regularly blood tests for her INR count, As she is coming for 6 weeks at christmas, I asked if she can have them there, she said yes, but will have to pay $42.50, If she was staying longer (nurse wasn't sure how long for) she would be entitled to a blue interim medicare card. Haven't looked into wether mum would be able to claim it back once she got back to the UK.

c-ya Yve
This sums up your Pom refugee only to pay for what was covered on the NHS for nothing , never say a bad word about the system because the dreamers may awake to the fact its a pay twice country .

Old Aug 14th 2003, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Yve,

Hope you feel better soon.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Wasn't moaning about the price of having to see a doctor, just wanted to let people know the cost of things in general.

They don't all want to know how to screw up life like you PB,
I think you ought to see a doctor when you get to the UK, you need something to stop you being a miserable bastard!!!!!
Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Yve

Good information, this is the sort of thing we need to know about, things that are going to affect us as opposed to the ton of useless drivel we often find here these days. As for PB needing something for his miserable bastarditis, dont think he'll need anything, he'll fit in really well back here

Lynn
Old Aug 14th 2003, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

thanks for the post ...very useful especially for me as I will be working there as a Community Pharmacist and will need to know about medicare etc and how the whole pills systems work..
your post was very useful pls do not hesitate to post items such as these as i will be very interested to help....and if i can help in anyway i would be my pleasure as I have got so much out of this forum ( esp in time of need!)

looking forward to more of your posts.......
Old Aug 14th 2003, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Rosy,

Thats was very funny ...( about Grays anatomy) I have a copy would it be worth my while to pay the extra for excess baggage to take the copy with me - will probably save in doctors appointments in the long run!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:24 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't moaning about the price of having to see a doctor, just wanted to let people know the cost of things in general.

They don't all want to know how to screw up life like you PB,
I think you ought to see a doctor when you get to the UK, you need something to stop you being a miserable bastard!!!!!
Thanks for opinions , how is Port Kennedy still full of Dog Boxes and dole bludgers, if I had live there I would worry.

Old Aug 15th 2003, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by salonit
Rosy,

Thats was very funny ...( about Grays anatomy) I have a copy would it be worth my while to pay the extra for excess baggage to take the copy with me - will probably save in doctors appointments in the long run!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, reckon you`d save a fortune! Whilst you`re at it, it might also be worth bringing with you evidence that you`ve already had all the tests under the sun - the buggers here cash in on every conceivable extra - go in with a verruca, come out having had blood tests for everything from TB to the clap!!!