Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Doctors and Medicare

Wikiposts

Doctors and Medicare

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 11:00 pm
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough
Default Doctors and Medicare

We've sorted out Medicare, no problem, but we're a bit in the dark about what to do if we need a doctor. Am I right in thinking that you don't register with a specific doctor, but you choose one to go to and then claim back the expenses from Medicare after the consultation? If so, what record does the doctor keep of the consultation, and is this record available if you visit another doctor in another area? Hope this makes sense.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctors and Medicare

Originally Posted by Carl B
We've sorted out Medicare, no problem, but we're a bit in the dark about what to do if we need a doctor. Am I right in thinking that you don't register with a specific doctor, but you choose one to go to and then claim back the expenses from Medicare after the consultation? If so, what record does the doctor keep of the consultation, and is this record available if you visit another doctor in another area? Hope this makes sense.
That's right - you can go to any doctor that's willing to see you. If you're new to the practice you usually get to fill in a questionaire first. The doctor will just take normal notes (they don't share them with other practices).

If you go to another doctor in another practice next time, then you have to repeat the palaver with questionaires or repeat what you told the first one about previous problems etc. It's best to find a doctor you like and then stick with them, for obvious reasons.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 11:15 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

And make sure you get one that bulk bills.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 11:45 pm
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by arkon
And make sure you get one that bulk bills.
Might be a thick question, but how does that work?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:05 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably not the best person to ask as I think the entire way the health system works and is paid for out here is utter tosh.

To try and answer, I'm not really sure. If you go to a doctor that doesn't bulk bill for a consultation for example he will ask for anywhere from $50 to $200 for the visit which you pay on the spot. Go next door to a doctor with a bulk bill sign and for the exact same consultation just show you medicare card and you might not have to pay anything.

The reason I'm being vague is as the wife was pregnant when we arived we had a whole gamult of experiences when it came to paying for doctors and scans.

We had one doctor who didn't bulk bill charged us $70 to confirm the pregancy. Another doctor who did bulk bill charged us $50 but we could claim $30 back from medicare. We got some scans for free and others cost us $170 with $50 back from medicare. We had a post natal check cost us at the reception $180 and we were told we would get some of it back in the form of a cheque from medicare:- it gets daft here, we were then asked that when we got the cheque sent to our house it will be made out to the doctor so we have to post it to them when we get it.

So all in all a complete mess. BUT it does seem cheaper and you might not even end up paying anything if you go to a bulk biller.

PS. My cousin had a baby out here using only medicare and bulk billing and it cost her only $10 for the baby. We on the other hand still using medicare have forked out about $700 so far and I'm still waiting for the bill to come in.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite simple.

Medicare will pay 85% of the scheduled fee for the consultation.
The scheduled fee is the official fee as laid down somewhere official. It varies depending on whether your have a long or short consultation.

Doctors can charge what they like for the consultation which is often more than the scheduled fee.

Some Doctors will accept the 85% figure as their full fee. Meaning that there is no charge to you and Medicare pays it in full. This is called Bulk-billing as the doctor bills Medicare and not you.

Some Doctors will make you pay the full amount of the fee up front and it's up to you to claim the 85% figure back from Medicare. When you do this, Medicare will pay you direct (as the doctor has already been paid).

Some Doctors will allow you to pay later or only pay your share up-front. When you claim from Medicare for an unpaid bill, Medicare will only make the cheque for the 85% out to the doctor (as the doctor has not been paid). You have to pay the doctor seperately for your share of the bill.

As far as pathology tests and xrays etc go - it depends on whether the provider bulk bill in the same way. If they do bulk bill, you just sign the form and it costs you nothing. If they don't bulk bill, you pay them and claim it back from Medicare.

Last edited by NickyC; Sep 23rd 2005 at 12:57 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:49 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by nickyc
It's quite simple.

Medicare will pay 85% of the scheduled fee for the consultation.
The scheduled fee is the official fee as laid down somewhere official. It varies depending on whether your have a long or short consultation.

Doctors can charge what they like for the consultation which is often more than the scheduled fee.

Some Doctors will accept the 85% figure as their full fee. Meaning that there is no charge to you and Medicare pays it in full. This is called Bulk-billing as the doctor bills Medicare and not you.

Some Doctors will make you pay the full amount of the fee up front and it's up to you to claim the 85% figure back from Medicare. When you do this, Medicare will pay you direct (as the doctor has already been paid).

Some Doctors will allow you to pay later or only pay your share up-front. When you claim from Medicare for an unpaid bill, Medicare will only make the cheque for the 85% out to the doctor (as the doctor has not been paid). You have to pay the doctor seperately for your share of the bill.

As far as pathology tests and xrays etc go - it depends on whether the provider bulk bill in the same way. If they do bulk bill, you just sign the form and it costs you nothing. If they don't bulk bill, you pay them and claim it back from Medicare.
Thanks nickyc, thats made it much clearer to me know, The problem still is they don't tell you up front the costs and I've been to a bulk biller and still ended up parting with money. For new immigrants here this system can sting them really bad. But I suppose you learn the hard way in the wallet. I now ask up front exactly what the cost is and make sure they know I have a medicare card.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

does anyone know of a bulk billing doctors in mornington vic?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:12 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

if i'm there on a 457, does anyone know whats covered in the reciprocal agreement??

for example... if my wife fell pregnant while there .. would we have to pay costs or would it all be charged back to the uk?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:44 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
Thanks nickyc, thats made it much clearer to me know, The problem still is they don't tell you up front the costs and I've been to a bulk biller and still ended up parting with money. For new immigrants here this system can sting them really bad. But I suppose you learn the hard way in the wallet. I now ask up front exactly what the cost is and make sure they know I have a medicare card.
Difference is, I suppose, that in the UK doctors are employed by the NHS (usually, unless obviously private providers) whereas in Oz they are basically self-employed and, like any other self-employed businessman, can charge within reason what they like?

Sue
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:17 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Difference is, I suppose, that in the UK doctors are employed by the NHS (usually, unless obviously private providers) whereas in Oz they are basically self-employed and, like any other self-employed businessman, can charge within reason what they like?

Sue
Maybe they should have a regulation of some sort making them put up a menu of prices behind the reception desk so you know up front what your paying.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:15 pm
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

Originally Posted by cam_uk
if i'm there on a 457, does anyone know whats covered in the reciprocal agreement??

for example... if my wife fell pregnant while there .. would we have to pay costs or would it all be charged back to the uk?
I'd be interested in anything anyone has to say about this too...
As far as I thought, we'd have to pay for everything, but I've not come across another that's had a baby here on a 457.
I know that the child would not get any Australian citizen rights at all, he/she would be have our nationality, and we'd have to pay full schooling fees but I want to know about the actual healthcare side of it.

my workmate advised get pregnant by an Aussie! I'd get the baby bonus then too... helpful
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

As far as a I am aware the reciprocal health care agreement is for emergency care only- this includes things such as doctor visits for flu etc, hospital care if you break something, but not elective health requirements (nor ambulances).
On a 457, surely your employer is providing insurance to cover things not included by Medicare, such as pregnancy?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Just a word of advice went to get the tax returns done here in Oz today and if you earn above AUS50K per annum you get whacked by the tax for medicare 2.5% not 1.5% that anyone earning below this does, so definitely look into private health if you can not sure what a premium would be but I have a feeling it may work out cheaper in the long run.

Cheers Lori
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:22 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Lori&Andy
Hi All,

Just a word of advice went to get the tax returns done here in Oz today and if you earn above AUS50K per annum you get whacked by the tax for medicare 2.5% not 1.5% that anyone earning below this does, so definitely look into private health if you can not sure what a premium would be but I have a feeling it may work out cheaper in the long run.

Cheers Lori
Doesn't going private out here mean you have to pay much larger gap fees though? I know my uncle pays far more in gap fees plus the private fees.
Private just seems to mean you see the doctor of your choice and can get elective surgery like piles etc. done straight away. If you are truly ill you get seen just as fast on medicare but without the sting from the gap fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.