Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Docs required to carry medicine

Docs required to carry medicine

Old Feb 2nd 2012, 10:46 am
Shafaqat Ali

shafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Docs required to carry medicine

Hi all

I am leaving for Brisbane 27th of this month, i want to carry some medicines, what document i must have apart from doctor's prescription?
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 10:55 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Docs required to carry medicine

Originally Posted by shafaqat309
Hi all

I am leaving for Brisbane 27th of this month, i want to carry some medicines, what document i must have apart from doctor's prescription?
When we visited Cairns, I had two prescription meds with me. I carried a letter from the doctor stating what medicine(s) I had, and why I was taking them. I also asked my local pharmacy to photocopy the front of the prescription for me, so that I could prove that I did, in fact, have a prescription for them.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:19 pm
Shafaqat Ali

shafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
When we visited Cairns, I had two prescription meds with me. I carried a letter from the doctor stating what medicine(s) I had, and why I was taking them. I also asked my local pharmacy to photocopy the front of the prescription for me, so that I could prove that I did, in fact, have a prescription for them.
i have discussed with my doctor, he said prescription letter should be enough.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:19 pm

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

i have discussed with my doctor, he said prescription letter should be enough.
That's good. I used a copy of my Rx too because of the nature of what I was carrying.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 7:44 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Just make sure that nothing you are carrying is illegal in any of the countries you transit through.

I seem to remember that some people have issues in places such as Dubai, even if they have a prescription.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:56 am
Shafaqat Ali

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Just make sure that nothing you are carrying is illegal in any of the countries you transit through.

I seem to remember that some people have issues in places such as Dubai, even if they have a prescription.
in that case i will discuss with my airline staff because i have to stay Dubai for 6 hours.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

If you google each med and have a look at the Wikipedia page for each it should tell you the legal status by country if there are any issues.

eg Temazepam - In Norway, temazepam is not available as a prescription drug. It is regulated as a Class A substance under Norway's Narcotics Act.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
If you google each med and have a look at the Wikipedia page for each it should tell you the legal status by country if there are any issues.

eg Temazepam - In Norway, temazepam is not available as a prescription drug. It is regulated as a Class A substance under Norway's Narcotics Act.
I wouldn't necessarily trust Wikipedia for that kind of information. On the Foreign & Commonwealth Office's website, it has this information:

The latest guidelines issued from the UAE Ministry of Health state that a visitor entering or transiting the UAE who is carrying controlled drugs (narcotic, psychotropic, CDa and CDb) should have in his/her possession a valid medical prescription (if the original has been retained by the dispensing pharmacy, an attested copy of the prescription should be carried) and an authenticated certificate and/or permit from the health authority of the country of departure confirming that the traveller has legal authority to possess the drugs. Visitors should not carry more than 30 days worth of the prescription. A visitor carrying regular medicines (prescription only medicines) can bring into the UAE up to three months worth of the medicines provided he/she has the valid medical prescription.
Hope that helps.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
I wouldn't necessarily trust Wikipedia for that kind of information. On the Foreign & Commonwealth Office's website, it has this information:

Hope that helps.
Indeed, I wouldn't trust Wikipedia for anything, to be honest.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Lol. Probably still holds more credence than the opinions of a public forum's members.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
Lol. Probably still holds more credence than the opinions of a public forum's members.
Indeed!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

You can get it in the UK on prescription but you have to sign the Dangerous Drugs Act (or whatever it's called).

I had it in Oz when I had a massive accident as it part of my recovery, I was in no shape to sign anything for weeks, but Mrs TB says she doesn't remember signing anything, but could have, there was a lot of paperwork for everything (mostly morphine related).
Old Feb 4th 2012, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
You can get it in the UK on prescription but you have to sign the Dangerous Drugs Act (or whatever it's called).

I had it in Oz when I had a massive accident as it part of my recovery, I was in no shape to sign anything for weeks, but Mrs TB says she doesn't remember signing anything, but could have, there was a lot of paperwork for everything (mostly morphine related).
It's a schedule three controlled drug in the UK. There is an extra little box on the Rx for patients to sign, but the rest of the paperwork is for the pharmacist (not applicable for the Temazepam, but for schedule two controlled drugs, there is definitely more paperwork).
Old Feb 4th 2012, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Temazepam used to be availible without prescrition in Oz. Over the counter I could buy Temtabs i think was the brand. I shudder to think how many times I have traveled through Dubai and Singapore with it and no prescription.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 10:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

You're not supposed to carry over the counter pain killers through Dubai. Had a migraine on a flight back once, the crew and half the passengers were offering me all sorts of paracetemol/codeine/ibuprofen mixes so they don't check very well. Disclaimer: or didn't on my flight.