Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do you think it is wise to visit before deciding to migrate to Australia?

do you think it is wise to visit before deciding to migrate to Australia?

Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:04 am
Just Joined

susan m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do you think it is wise to visit before deciding to migrate to Australia?

Hi, Just new to the site, has anyone decided to migrate to Australia without visiting and just gone on there gut feeling?

Would love to hear your views.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:21 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do you think it is wise to visit before deciding to migrate to Australia?

Hi there Welcome.Some do do a reccie before they come some save the money and just take the pkunge and move there.Id like to do a reccie my oh said no save the money to go out there with.It depends i think its about 50/50 do a search type in reccie and it'll throw up lots of threads regarding the matter, hope this helps.
Rachx
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:26 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: do you think it is wise to visit before deciding to migrate to Australia?

Hi/Welcome

We originally planned to move straight over, but failure to sell the house meant we had to do a recce and validate.

The visit was really worth while, we had a great holiday and also spent many afternoons researching areas to live. It has also made Kerry (Other Half) more excited about going, and made the whole thing seem more real.

If you do visit, make sure you don't do 100% holidaying, and remember that when you move for good you will have to work and do all the day to day things you do in the UK!!!!

Good Luck

Mark and Kerry
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by susan m
Hi, Just new to the site, has anyone decided to migrate to Australia without visiting and just gone on there gut feeling?

Hiya Susan,

Welcome to BE

We have currently got the house on the market and are awaiting for the thumbs or or thumbs down (visa), hopefully thumbs up, then it will be real !!!

We have decided that we will go straight away, we have never been before but thought 'what the hell'!!

Looking at the housing market at the minute though, depending on what answer we get, we may have to validate, can't see us shifting our house that quickly, although it is at first time buyers price level.

Although we are planing to go straight away, you can NEVER be too informed, there will always be something that crops up that you haven't looked into fully etc etc.

Roll on the visa !!!!!!!!

Donna.
x
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Hi and welcome to the forum,

We did a reccie in may 2007 and have to say it was really helpful............we did the east coast from sydney to Bundy over 3 weeks.

We were originally heading to Brisbane or there abouts but when we went to brisbane we really didn't like it!

Having looked around we reckon we will settle in / around Bundy, bu we seen several other areas we really like as well if Bundy doesn't work out.

I think it's a big big risk going to somewhere you have never been before.......it will be a big move anyway so if you go and realise you don't like the area you originally emigrated to it would put greater strain on the emigration process.

Definately we would advise a reccie of the area/s you are thinking on moving to and if you don't like it look elsewhere so at least you have a few areas where you could see yourself settling.

This, of course, is only our opinion and i'm sure plenty of other people will give you thiers as well

Good luck whatever way you choose
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice

Hi we did go over to Perth last year and i would recommend that you go before just so that you know what you are moving to was a bit different to what we had imagined and had to see how it would be for the kids well worth it and it lets you see a few areas before you make up your mind
hope all goes well and what ever you decide it will all work out kate
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you have the money, and if you make it a proper reccie trip rather than a holiday, then it has got to be worthwhile - anything that gives you more information will allow you to make better choices.
Doesn't mean everything will go smoothly though! Or that you will find an area you love. It might just give you more questions to think about!

On the flip side, a trip is expensive, and so is moving, so a lot of people choose to save their pennies and just move, on the basis that a holiday won't show what it is like to live there anyway.

I never visited. Did plan to, it just wasn't practical so we just moved - it's all been fine though! Ups and downs like anyone, but no regrets about not visiting first.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:58 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

well we didnt really plan on doing a rekkie, but as the house hasnt sold yet and we have to validate by the 20.0608 we are on a tight deadline, so we will do a rekkie if we have to but we would much prefer to just go. I have been to oz before but the OH hasnt.
it is a big gamble but its one we are willing to make
good luck with your decision
bec
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

susan m is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by egghead4
well we didnt really plan on doing a rekkie, but as the house hasnt sold yet and we have to validate by the 20.0608 we are on a tight deadline, so we will do a rekkie if we have to but we would much prefer to just go. I have been to oz before but the OH hasnt.
it is a big gamble but its one we are willing to make
good luck with your decision
bec
Hi, thanks for your prompt reply, when you say validate, does this mean you have to enter or visit Oz before a certain date? Would love to know how you decided (if you have decided) where you are going to base yourself and any info about employment and living arrangements,

thanks again,
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you really dont have a clue what is out here then, yes, definitely come and see what you are letting yourself in for. Remember that it will be different when you are on holiday so approach it as if you were going to live here. You could find that you hate the heat (or the cold) or the city areas are not for you and you fancy the country.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We just applied for a visa and moved here. Nothing like diving in feet first!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

We are just starting the whole process but plan on just diving in at the deep end and going for it without a reccie.
Probably due to limited holidays from work as much as anything else, well that and the cost of a reccie.
We just figured go for it and give it our all.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, unless you have a job lined up and lots of money I'd say visit first
Are plenty of people who have just hopped off to Aus and settled and plenty who haven't. Is a lovely place to be, but does have problems and economic conditions have changed greatly over the last 2 decades, cost housing, food etc has and in many cases wages haven't kept up. Least if you'd visited you have an idea of what's in store, research everything whilst there and see if it's actually for you before making final decision
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi, we decided to come on holiday first and see what we thought before we applied for the visa. Neil would have happily not bothered and just waited but I could not consider leaving everything I had at home and moving to somewhere I had never been before. I guess it is a personal issue, we are all different.

Donna
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:57 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends entirely on the people involved and there is no right or wrong answer. Some people are just going to have to see before they make the full move, and fair play to them, they may be able to some sortofinstinctive 'feeling' for a place.

Others, myself included, didn't feel the need to see first, and I personally feel that it wouldn't have helped me at all to have had a reccie as I wouldn't have experienced life, but rather seen somewhere on holiday mode. So I went in at the deep end and have loved every minute of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.