Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you think the Vic drought has broken?

Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you think the Vic drought has broken?

Just wondering?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think the Vic drought has broken?

I don't really know what it was like before. We get rainy days but often at the end of the day the totals are next to nothing...appreciate it might be different in the catchments. Read today they are having a good winter.

I was at the MCG yesterday, it was classic weather. Cold, wet, windy. 10 minutes later blazing sun, coat off. 10 mins later cold, wet, windy. 10 mins later blazing sun. Repeat another 3 times!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Just wondering?
Unfortunately not, the latest water storage level is still only 38.3% this is compared to 50% at this time in 2005/6 and 80% in 1998. I still can't believe that this is an issue that has been neglected for so long, we have enough rainfall to sustain this population but because none of it is recycled it all flows out to sea and new houses are STILL being built with inadequate tanks or even none at all if they choose the solar panels for heating water instead to get their 5 star rating. It's a real joke. The governments answer and I don't care which one, they're all as bad as each other is to build a desalination plant at a cost to the rate payer of billions and billions and which may be an ecological disaster (not even going there!!)

If Europe and the rest of the modern world didn't recycle water they would have died out long ago!!! They seem to manage, whats so wrong with it? Anybody that takes a European holiday drinks and cooks with it then and doesn't complain, I'm sure most don't even think about it. It's quality in the UK and Europe is far better controlled and maintained than anything we get here I'm convinced. I thought the water in QLD when I went there tasted foul!!!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartinis
... because none of it is recycled it all flows out to sea and new houses are STILL being built with inadequate tanks or even none at all if they choose the solar panels for heating water instead to get their 5 star rating. It's a real joke. ...If Europe and the rest of the modern world didn't recycle water they would have died out long ago!!! They seem to manage, whats so wrong with it?
It's because their idea of '5 star' amounts to a European 1 or 2 star at best. They really don't focus on what is practically realisable, preferring to give builders large profit margins instead.

IIRC Passivhaus, the European standard for doin'it'right would equate to '10 stars' in aussie terms. Saving and directing water is similar, because they haven't historically treated and reused water, they don't seem up to making that step today - even if its bleedin' obvious.

At the heart of it are poor politicians, unable to deal with the complexities of the modern world and content to snipe at the opponents during election time rather than actually gaining a clue. To coin a phrase, they aren't fit for purpose.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:01 am
Account Closed

There seems to be a lot more rain this year than the previous 5.

I know the dam levels are still low but they are rising unlike 2006.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Unfortunately not, the latest water storage level is still only 38.3% this is compared to 50% at this time in 2005/6 and 80% in 1998. I still can't believe that this is an issue that has been neglected for so long, we have enough rainfall to sustain this population but because none of it is recycled it all flows out to sea and new houses are STILL being built with inadequate tanks or even none at all if they choose the solar panels for heating water instead to get their 5 star rating. It's a real joke. The governments answer and I don't care which one, they're all as bad as each other is to build a desalination plant at a cost to the rate payer of billions and billions and which may be an ecological disaster (not even going there!!)

If Europe and the rest of the modern world didn't recycle water they would have died out long ago!!! They seem to manage, whats so wrong with it? Anybody that takes a European holiday drinks and cooks with it then and doesn't complain, I'm sure most don't even think about it. It's quality in the UK and Europe is far better controlled and maintained than anything we get here I'm convinced. I thought the water in QLD when I went there tasted foul!!!
I'm not sure it's been a problem for that long. It only really started becoming a problem in 2006 when the dam levels got down below 40%. Since then we've now got recycled water being used around the peninsula (purple pipes and hydrants if you're wondering) and I presume the desal plant is still happening.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a lot more rain this year than the previous 5.

I know the dam levels are still low but they are rising unlike 2006.
It's rained more this year that it has in the last 25 years. I've never seen a wetter year in Melb.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

I'm not sure it's been a problem for that long. It only really started becoming a problem in 2006 when the dam levels got down below 40%. Since then we've now got recycled water being used around the peninsula (purple pipes and hydrants if you're wondering) and I presume the desal plant is still happening.
I'm really pleased if this is the case, about time. Do you know where and what it's being used for, because I haven't seen any apart from the purple piping we have in our own garden, that we installed as a grey water system. And yes we also have solar panels producing electricity. All these things are easy to do, so why isn't it happening on a larger scale?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:03 am
Account Closed

I'm really pleased if this is the case, about time. Do you know where and what it's being used for, because I haven't seen any apart from the purple piping we have in our own garden, that we installed as a grey water system. And yes we also have solar panels producing electricity. All these things are easy to do, so why isn't it happening on a larger scale?
They're mainly using it for agricultural watering.

The same reason they never build 4 lines a side when they built the M25. If you do it then you get slated for wasting money.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:20 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Just wondering?
Where l live in victoria half the land is flooded under water. Got one months rain in one day. There hasnt been so much rain sinced 1979 so l think the drought is over. Some people seemed to think the drought was going to last forever becasue of climate change, l never beleived that, droughts come a go they never last.

Last edited by mohogony; Aug 16th 2010 at 2:23 am.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Yes it has according to the news and dam levels. Hope people can bath fully now as earlier they were advised against it by the councils.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
It's rained more this year that it has in the last 25 years. I've never seen a wetter year in Melb.
Some stats for Melbourne to this date (YTD):

Long term average: 406mm over 95 rain days
2010: 360mm over 75 rain days
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Some stats for Melbourne to this date (YTD):

Long term average: 406mm over 95 rain days
2010: 360mm over 75 rain days
And in 2009 it was 184mm over 71 days.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Yes it has according to the news and dam levels. Hope people can bath fully now as earlier they were advised against it by the councils.
There wasn't a restriction on bathing it was just a recommendation to save water.

They have removed the restriction on washing cars.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

There wasn't a restriction on bathing it was just a recommendation to save water.

They have removed the restriction on washing cars.
I was referring to those advt which say don't turn on shower for more than 4 minutes during bathing. And Green Earth people saying when you open shower for 1 minutes it consumes 15 litres of water, so use rain water harvestors..Anyway God has showered much needed asset of water on Melburnians.. lets pray and thank Him

Washing car was never difficult for me as I left it in the rain and wept it off once skies were clear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.