Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you think a pool adds money in QLD !!

Do you think a pool adds money in QLD !!

Old Jun 4th 2006, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Question Do you think a pool adds money in QLD !!

We are thinking of adding a pool to our property in Bayside (Wello Point) Brisbane for around £30,000 with the garden being landscaped and re-turfed bur have heard we will not add much to vvalueof our house we intend to stay fr another 2 - 3 years .

Would like to know others views / eexperiences!!
Old Jun 4th 2006, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think a pool adds money in QLD !!

Originally Posted by tabby
We are thinking of adding a pool to our property in Bayside (Wello Point) Brisbane for around £30,000 with the garden being landscaped and re-turfed bur have heard we will not add much to vvalueof our house we intend to stay fr another 2 - 3 years .

Not sure as regards value but I would think it might make it more saleable. We are in the process of looking for a house now and one criteria is that it has a pool as we just know that if we buy one without we would never get round to putting one in.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 3:20 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

I think that's absolutely true. The running costs of a pool, the effort of looking after it, plus the water shortage/pool cover debate raging at the moment are putting a lot of people (including me!) off from buying a prperty with a pool. I think it's more important to have enough space in the yard when you sell the house so that people have the option of putting in a pool at a later stage if they want to.

If your garden is in need of an overhaul, you don't have to spend all that much on landscaping your garden, so I'd recommend just getting some simple landscaping done. If you shop around,you should be able to get turf laid for $2 per metre. You'll get to enjoy it for the 2-3 years and it'll make the place look neater when you come to sell.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 4:09 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budgie
If you shop around,you should be able to get turf laid for $2 per metre.

Where the hell can you get turf laid for that price, the cheapest i've found to buy is $5
Old Jun 4th 2006, 4:20 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fraser
Where the hell can you get turf laid for that price, the cheapest i've found to buy is $5
It was a mob at the Glasshouse Mountains on the Sunshine Coast (can't remember their exact name off the top of my head). I got 1200m2 of Queensland cooch for $2 a metre laid. It was a good price, their normal was $3 a metre but they needed to get rid of a load that weekend so discounted it for me.

It was good stuff too - looked great after a year when I came to sell the place.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 6:24 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not just the pool, it's all the extras that add cost to the end result. This has to be factored in when deciding whether you get your money back or not. Having said this, houses with pools do tend to sell for slightly more than those without and they tend to attract more people. Personally I wouldn't think you get the full value back though.

We got a 12 x 5.5 pool with solar heating, new perimeter fence and new pool fence and landscaping materials [we're doing landscaping work ourselves] and we've got no change from $47k so far....and we haven't even finished yet

The morale of the story is....don't do it for the money cos I'm sure it doesn't pay back in monetary terms.

IMHO it's not going to add as much value to the house, but hopefully it will add value to our lives...at least in summer
Old Jun 4th 2006, 6:38 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Do you think a pool adds money in QLD !!

£30,000?! Just how big is this pool?! :scared: If it's costing the equivalent of $75,000 I'd be amazed if it didn't add a bit of value to your house - but the return on your investment probably wouldn't justify the expense.

Personally, I believe that pools are over-rated; they cost a packet to build, they cost a packet to maintain, and they're frequently under-used.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 6:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
£30,000?! Just how big is this pool?! :scared:
I think they meant $30,000

Personally, I believe that pools are over-rated; they cost a packet to build, they cost a packet to maintain, and they're frequently under-used.
I think I might agree with you on this one
Old Jun 4th 2006, 6:48 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking, (or typing) with my professional hat on, in my experience, people get a pool because they want a pool...

Something to jump in after work on a 38 degree day.
Something to jump in to help cure a Sunday morning hangover.
Something to get some exercise in.
Something to enjoy & invite friends round to use.

I've done loads of quotes for pools, & nobody has ever mentioned whether it will increase the value of their house......
Old Jun 4th 2006, 6:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scossie
Speaking, (or typing) with my professional hat on, in my experience, people get a pool because they want a pool...

I've done loads of quotes for pools, & nobody has ever mentioned whether it will increase the value of their house......
Agree
Old Jun 4th 2006, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

£30,000?! Just how big is this pool?! :scared: If it's costing the equivalent of $75,000 I'd be amazed if it didn't add a bit of value to your house - but the return on your investment probably wouldn't justify the expense.

ooppppsss !!!! , stil not as bad as my wife she wrote a cheque for £15,000 :scared: insted of $15,000
Old Jun 4th 2006, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scossie

You know your completely right we have spent all day going over and over it and have decided that F***k it we came here to live a little and have family time , who gives a toss if we don't get the money back the main thing is to have fun, it also helped that we went to the show room and seen the pool we want on show and it looked great also had a cool table in the water so you could have a beer (it's the small things)

Thanks all for your advise, so use to living in the UK worrying weather things will add money
Old Jun 4th 2006, 7:12 am
Account Closed

You know your completely right we have spent all day going over and over it and have decided that F***k it we came here to live a little and have family time , who gives a toss if we don't get the money back the main thing is to have fun, it also helped that we went to the show room and seen the pool we want on show and it looked great also had a cool table in the water so you could have a beer (it's the small things)

Thanks all for your advise, so use to living in the UK worrying weather things will add money
That is EXACTLY why we went for one.

We came to Aus to live life......and we are
Old Jun 4th 2006, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

No, rarely adds money, worse people dont realise how much they have gone up. Just 3 years ago our pool all up cost $14,000, many people still think thats about what they cost Do it for your enjoyment nothing else.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 7:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
No, rarely adds money, worse people dont realise how much they have gone up. Just 3 years ago our pool all up cost $14,000, many people still think thats about what they cost Do it for your enjoyment nothing else.
FOURTEEN THOUSAND

You got a BARGAIN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.