Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Old May 17th 2006, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Yes I do consider Australia home now although I still call the UK home now and again because we still have our house and that is my home too. A bit confusing I know but my 'home' is in Australia
Old May 17th 2006, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=finsbury]I think that really gets close to hitting the nail on the head for me. I don't really think of 'home' that much in the normal course of events and then something will just come along and make me ponder. Think it had a lot to do with the FA Cup final over the weekend which used to be a day out with the lads in days gone by. Guess I just miss my old friends. Which brings back memories of places that I've once called home.

Your post hit home a bit, we watched the final in a pub in Frankston and had a great time and my BIL and myself both felt pretty homesick.

We got over it by getting completely smashed and getting home at 5.30am, next day just felt sick not homesick
Old May 17th 2006, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Australia has been home for quite a few years. The UK is a distant memory - a past chapter.

I do occasionally call it home, but I mean home as in where my parents are.

Not one bit of homesickness ever.
Old May 17th 2006, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by finsbury
I still don't. I guess there does come a point in time when you do think of it as home. Or maybe not? I thought it would have something to do with being settled but I don't think it does. I have no desire to live in England but I do still think of it as home. Maybe that's just one of the things you never get over with having your heart in two different places.

Geez I'm procrastinating today. Oh well....back to work.....
Home is just where your stuff is... and where you are.
Old May 17th 2006, 1:08 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Its where my heart is
Old May 17th 2006, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
Yes. Its where my heart is
Old May 17th 2006, 1:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I've gone the opposite way - when I came here I referred to Aus as "home". I wanted it to be my home in every way, and I really really tried. As time has gone on I have felt less and less comfortable here, and I suddenly realised one day that I was calling the UK "home". It happened without even thinking about it, certainly not a conscious thing.
When I went back for the first time I really felt like I was flying home, and coming back to Aus, even though I told myself it was stupid, I felt like I was landing in a strange country.
i thought getting my PR would make me more settled, but it hasn't. I shall keep trying - there must be a magic key to it somewhere
Old May 17th 2006, 3:48 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
there must be a magic key to it somewhere
ive got it, ill sell it to ya
Old May 17th 2006, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Absolutely!

We dread the day we have to go back to the UK.

Mooloolaba is the best! Home!

The Spinkways
Old May 17th 2006, 4:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

So maybe I should ask if the UK feels like home to you Vash?
Nope.

But we have at least developed a working relationship.

Having spent nearly two and a half years here now, I agree with those who say that you need to spend at least two years in your new country before making a decision to remain or return home.

Of course, this will vary, depending on one's personal circumstances - but as a general rule of thumb, I believe it is sound.
Old May 17th 2006, 5:50 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is home, England is home too.....but Australia is the home, I want to grow old in.

My immediate family are there and I feel more at ease there...
Old May 17th 2006, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough

I've often wondered whether it is different for those folks who are on spouse visas and whose partner has wanted to return home and those who immigrate here because it is their dream. I really enjoy living here and love Mrs F more than anything in this world or the next, but it's not my dream to live in Australia. And they are very different emotional drivers when you consider them.

Polly, the Bhuddists would say that the magic key is called acceptance. Accept totally where you are now and don't resist what is. I haven't reached that point because part of me still thinks of England as home and I haven't accepted that Australia is, in fact, my home. And that's why I still feel some unease around calling Australia 'home'. But the bizarre thing is, that the home I pine for in England doesn't really exist anymore. It's more of a memory than a reality.

My reality is here. I've got a good job, exciting prospects ahead, a lovely house and very supportive family and friends who love me dearly. But despite that, a small piece of my heart lies somewhere else, and this small discussion board journey, has made me realise that I'm probably not as settled as I thought.

And I think maybe simply realising that will in itself help. That its ok not to be totally settled here and that its ok to miss my friends and family. But that doesn't mean that life here is bad or better somewhere else. It just is what it is. I guess I'm just going to need a bit more time before I can call Australia home.

Thanks for listening to my idle ramblings and best wishes for all your respective journey's.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I guess I've gone the opposite way - when I came here I referred to Aus as "home". I wanted it to be my home in every way, and I really really tried. As time has gone on I have felt less and less comfortable here, and I suddenly realised one day that I was calling the UK "home". It happened without even thinking about it, certainly not a conscious thing.
When I went back for the first time I really felt like I was flying home, and coming back to Aus, even though I told myself it was stupid, I felt like I was landing in a strange country.
i thought getting my PR would make me more settled, but it hasn't. I shall keep trying - there must be a magic key to it somewhere
Old May 18th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Hi,

This is something that I keep saying and being corrected on. I refer constantly to the 'UK' as home. My eldest will correct me by saying you are home. When I wright to my old boss and say I'm homesick - he comes back with, you are home.

At the moment I have absolutely no desire to return to the UK (home), we've been here 16 months, but clearly at the moment I consider it a home that I've had and still refer to in that way. When I use the term home here I mean our house, not Australia yet. I think it can take time, I feel that we are still very much settling in and I'm very much missing my family which has probably got alot to do with how I view things.

Tracey
that is just the way i feel Tracey.
Uk is still home to me, and i think always will be in my heart.
But to my hubby and kids this is home, so i go along with it.
I dont want to go back to UK, but my family is there, my roots.
And i could still live in either place.
Denise
Old May 18th 2006, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

I've often wondered whether it is different for those folks who are on spouse visas and whose partner has wanted to return home and those who immigrate here because it is their dream. I really enjoy living here and love Mrs F more than anything in this world or the next, but it's not my dream to live in Australia. And they are very different emotional drivers when you consider them.

Polly, the Bhuddists would say that the magic key is called acceptance. Accept totally where you are now and don't resist what is. I haven't reached that point because part of me still thinks of England as home and I haven't accepted that Australia is, in fact, my home. And that's why I still feel some unease around calling Australia 'home'. But the bizarre thing is, that the home I pine for in England doesn't really exist anymore. It's more of a memory than a reality.

My reality is here. I've got a good job, exciting prospects ahead, a lovely house and very supportive family and friends who love me dearly. But despite that, a small piece of my heart lies somewhere else, and this small discussion board journey, has made me realise that I'm probably not as settled as I thought.

And I think maybe simply realising that will in itself help. That its ok not to be totally settled here and that its ok to miss my friends and family. But that doesn't mean that life here is bad or better somewhere else. It just is what it is. I guess I'm just going to need a bit more time before I can call Australia home.

Thanks for listening to my idle ramblings and best wishes for all your respective journey's.
I know exactly how you feel. Memories can not be taken away and i have 45 years of them in UK, and lately i keep thinking about as i was growing up, i dont know why.
My mum and dad have been here 3 months and go back on Monday, so i am feeling very down at the moment, thats probably why i feel very unsettled at the moment.
Anyway thats another story.
Home is where the heart is, and my heart is here with my hubby and children.
But there is just something missing
Old May 18th 2006, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cranni
I know exactly how you feel. Memories can not be taken away and i have 45 years of them in UK, and lately i keep thinking about as i was growing up, i dont know why.
My mum and dad have been here 3 months and go back on Monday, so i am feeling very down at the moment, thats probably why i feel very unsettled at the moment.
Anyway thats another story.
Home is where the heart is, and my heart is here with my hubby and children.
But there is just something missing
Hi,

We tend to walk down memory lane when we are grieving, its a natural part of the process of loss and moving on. Sounds like you might be preparing yourself for your parents going. Your feelings of being unsettled could be to do with your inpending loss, something will be missing 'them'. Speaking as someone struggling with grief like feelings at the moment, your not alone.

Try not to be too hard on yourself, getting used to a new country for some is quite complex and about far more than just 'liking it'. Hang in there.

Thinking of you

Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.