Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you take your TV with you?....

Do you take your TV with you?....

Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Do you take your TV with you?....

Hi all,

I have a digital 28" widescreen TV.

Is it worth getting converted over there, or am I better off selling it here?. Anyone know of the conversion costs?.

cheers,
65KK
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:46 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

If you've got a container .....i'd take it!

all the best plum
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:52 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure there's threads in the archives on this.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:54 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you take your TV with you?....

Originally posted by 65 million
Hi all,

Is it worth getting converted over there, or am I better off selling it here?. Anyone know of the conversion costs?.

cheers,
65KK

Dont have a clue about conversion costs. We took ours from Germany (was a Sharp Aquos LCD TV about 12 months old) and all we had to do was buy a female to female connector for the wall socket (about $2) change the locality setting to "other countries" and re-run the initial start-up program. Works a treat.

If its a fairly new tv I would say bring it. Might be worth going into Dixons or wherever the next time you are passing and ask the question about will it work in OZ though and what settings o change.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 11:23 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Might be worth going into Dixons or wherever the next time you are passing and ask the question about will it work in OZ though and what settings o change.
And then stand back and just savour that blank look Then run before they try and sell you another one.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 11:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by wmoore
And then stand back and just savour that blank look Then run before they try and sell you another one.
LOL
That's exactly what I was thinking

Old TV's may need converting, about $80-$100.

Newer ones have more chance of working OK.

Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:04 pm
mickj

Just sell your TV before you go, by taking it to cash converters or something, and buy a new one when you get there. How does a PLASMA TV 48" grab ya? Watching movies will never be the same again when you connect it to the home theatre system, trust me on this

Hi all,

cheers,
65KK
Attached Thumbnails Do you take your TV with you?....-sony_ke42xs.jpg  

Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:16 pm
ABCDiamond

Plasma TV's

TEAC 106cm $3,799
Samsung 106cm $4,999
LG 109cm $4,999
Philips 106cm $5,499
Sony 106cm $5,499
Panasonic 106cm $5,999

Prices from this weeks Good Guys Leaflet

Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:21 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Plasma TV's

TEAC 106cm $3,799
Samsung 106cm $4,999
LG 109cm $4,999
Philips 106cm $5,499
Sony 106cm $5,499
Panasonic 106cm $5,999

Cor, that's cheap.
May get one for every room and get a good bulk discount.

Then again I may wake up and spoil it

Think I shall stick with my old windup model
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:23 pm
mickj

Like i said, watching TV will never be the same again, and if you like your gadgets anyway, its money well spent, worth saving up for. Depends on where you are getting it from too, there is always the back of the lorry ( spanking brand new )

With the prices you've got there, still cheaper than in £££

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Plasma TV's

TEAC 106cm $3,799
Samsung 106cm $4,999
LG 109cm $4,999
Philips 106cm $5,499
Sony 106cm $5,499
Panasonic 106cm $5,999

Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mickj
Like i said, watching TV will never be the same again, and if you like your gadgets anyway, its money well spent, worth saving up for. Depends on where you are getting it from too, there is always the back of the lorry ( spanking brand new )

With the prices you've got there, still cheaper than in £££
I like me gadgets Mick.
Got one from the back of a lorry last week.
It's very new technology though so the guy had to show me how it works.

It's basically a black box that you put a big plate in , then cover your head with a black cloth and point it at someone. When you press the button thing a small explosion goes off with a big flash and you apparently have captured an image of what you were pointing at.
Done plenty of flashes but not seen the results yet.
Bloody clever or what ?

Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

cheers,
65KK
You might want to think about getting a set-top box - you could then receive terrestrial tv on widescreen.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:37 pm
mickj

Nice one, didn't it come with a manual You've got to watch out for these back of the lorry stuff, hailing from london, i know all about them, bought a few in my time. Mobile phones, Sky boxes with cards, strereos, PDAs.

Cheaper than the shop would you believe

Originally posted by Bix
I like me gadgets Mick.
Got one from the back of a lorry last week.
It's very new technology though so the guy had to show me how it works.

It's basically a black box that you put a big plate in , then cover your head with a black cloth and point it at someone. When you press the button thing a small explosion goes off with a big flash and you apparently have captured an image of what you were pointing at.
Done plenty of flashes but not seen the results yet.
Bloody clever or what ?

Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

If you have got a half decent TV and it will fit in the container bring it. You just buy a dvd or VCR player out here and run the TV through that. The TV's pick up the picture fine it is the sound that is different. DVD's sell from $69. It is cheaper and easier to do this than to have the TV converted, we looked into it, but the consensus from engineers was it is easier to buy a new DVD. We brought 3 TV's with us and they all work fine, 2 of them run through UK DVDS we brought out with us and hacked to make multi region.

Mind you as ABC has shown the electrical stuff out here is pretty cheap. I think it is even less than in the Uk. We have been drooling over a plasma for a while now. If you have a new house built you can get a rcess made in the wall and it fits in there beautifully.

I mean $69 for a DVD player - crazy.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:59 pm
mickj

Dvd players are getting cheaper now, look at the prices when they first came out. You just have to make sure you buy the right one that will do everything, and i mean play everything under the sun, including jpgs on a CDR.

Plasmas are great, and the prices are going to come down more in the next few years, wasn't that the case when widescreen came out in the UK?

Anyway....if you have a dvd player, and its not hacked, use this site to sort it out

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php

Originally posted by tinaj
If you have got a half decent TV and it will fit in the container bring it. You just buy a dvd or VCR player out here and run the TV through that. The TV's pick up the picture fine it is the sound that is different. DVD's sell from $69. It is cheaper and easier to do this than to have the TV converted, we looked into it, but the consensus from engineers was it is easier to buy a new DVD. We brought 3 TV's with us and they all work fine, 2 of them run through UK DVDS we brought out with us and hacked to make multi region.

Mind you as ABC has shown the electrical stuff out here is pretty cheap. I think it is even less than in the Uk. We have been drooling over a plasma for a while now. If you have a new house built you can get a rcess made in the wall and it fits in there beautifully.

I mean $69 for a DVD player - crazy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.