Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you still get extra baggage allowance if you stopover?

Do you still get extra baggage allowance if you stopover?

Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future
Default Do you still get extra baggage allowance if you stopover?

Hi

I've been reading lots of threads about extra baggage allowance if you're flying one way as a migrant. Best airlines seem to be Qantas & Singapore Airlines. Do you still get the extra baggage allowance if you have stopover? May sound a silly question but would hate to have stopover at eg.Singapore and then get clobbered for extra baggage when you checked in at Singapore but it was all ok at Heathrow.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:59 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you still get extra baggage allowance if you stopover?

Originally Posted by kronk
Hi

I've been reading lots of threads about extra baggage allowance if you're flying one way as a migrant. Best airlines seem to be Qantas & Singapore Airlines. Do you still get the extra baggage allowance if you have stopover? May sound a silly question but would hate to have stopover at eg.Singapore and then get clobbered for extra baggage when you checked in at Singapore but it was all ok at Heathrow.

Thanks
Yeah we made the silly mistake of booking and stopping over at Dubai and Singapore 3 nights each and lost our extra baggage allowance..we flew with Emerites.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future

Thanks for letting me know. It was just a thought I had, we were thinking of stopping over in Singapore for a couple of nights but if we all have 40kg luggage allowance, won't bother if I'm going to get problems if I check in at Singapore :curse:
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get better allowances if you go via America? I know when I flew there last year we got 32kg both ways.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

Hi

Thanks
We stopped off in Singapore, (for 2 nts) & had the extra allowance (40kg for OH, 30kg each for myself & son as returning residents). We had to check all of our luggage through from LHR - MEL. Although we had a small bag for the couple of nights on Singapore, which we picked up once there.

This was only back in May, so unless something has changed since then, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same thing.

Last edited by charb; Aug 12th 2007 at 10:00 am.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

Forgot to mention, we booked online & had to call them with our booking reference, so they could put our extra allowance on.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Charb, sorry if I'm not getting this right from what you were saying, so you didn't pick up all of your luggage in Singapore? And therefore didn't check in 110kg worth of luggage at Singapore airport? If not, what happened to your luggage while you were in Singapore?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Charb, sorry if I'm not getting this right from what you were saying, so you didn't pick up all of your luggage in Singapore? And therefore didn't check in 110kg worth of luggage at Singapore airport? If not, what happened to your luggage while you were in Singapore?
That's right, we checked in all of our 'heavy' luggage at Heathrow, & didn't see it until we got to Melbourne - not sure what happened to it whilst we were living it up in Singapore ! lol ! Probably sat at the airport waiting for us perhaps...??!!

We just had a small bag with toiletries & a change of clothes for Singapore.

We didn't know we were able to check it in all the way through, until the lady at check in asked, but it sure helped, as dragging around 100kg + of luggage would have been a hassle !
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I'm flying with Qantas and when I rang to enquire I was told that they dont give you any extra baggage allowance if you're emigrating
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We flew with Singapore Airlines in June, stopped off for 3 1/2 weeks while we traveled in Thailand then flew on from Singapore. We checked in at their office in Orchard Road which is much more civilized (you can do that within 48 hours of your flight) - that way you just drop your luggage off at the "fast drop" at Changai airport which saves you getting there really early. Just confirm with SA that you are entitled to the extra allowance and print off a copy of the e-mail. We had no problems checking in at Heathrow but the woman at Singapore was sniffy until I produced the e-mail then there was no problem.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I'm flying with Qantas and when I rang to enquire I was told that they dont give you any extra baggage allowance if you're emigrating
Unless you buy their migrant fare (more expensive) I believe this is the case unfortunately, otherwise I guess noone would buy their migrant fare
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice

We flew with Qantas and if you want the extra baggage allowance you have to buy their "Migrant's fare" which is more expensive and even then you have to be going straight to your final destination, i.e. no stopovers allowed.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Well there you go, I didnt realise that. Not that I'm bothered, there's just me and the 2 kids so decided long ago that we were going to take 1 case and 1 carry on bag each. I don't need any added stress of trying to lug loads of bags around. I already end up going up and down every flight of stairs we come across to carry each kids case for them

I have decided that if they are a bit too heavy it would probably be cheaper to pay the excess baggage anyway
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Well there you go, I didnt realise that. Not that I'm bothered, there's just me and the 2 kids so decided long ago that we were going to take 1 case and 1 carry on bag each. I don't need any added stress of trying to lug loads of bags around. I already end up going up and down every flight of stairs we come across to carry each kids case for them

I have decided that if they are a bit too heavy it would probably be cheaper to pay the excess baggage anyway
Excess baggage is usually worked out at 10% the cost of a first class ticket per extra kilo. It can really add up.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LauraC
Excess baggage is usually worked out at 10% the cost of a first class ticket per extra kilo. It can really add up.
better make sure they're not too heavy then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.