Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you regret having gone to Australia?

Do you regret having gone to Australia?

Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:07 pm
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future
Default Do you regret having gone to Australia?

Hi,

I'm new to this site and wanted to get an opinion from people on their views of life in Australia, particularly Perth.

My hubby and I have our visa's and are flying out at the end of August. We're in IT and fully aware that finding a job in our field is non-existent. We have no idea what we're going to do for a living but will try almost anything. It's only the two of us so we have no one else to consider.
We went to Perth on a rekkie for two weeks in May and were impressed with what we saw. Although, having said that, we are totally aware that holidaying and living in a place is totally different.

We know that we can return to the UK if things don't work out but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for us.

For those of you that have returned.... are you glad you came back and are you happy with your decision or do wish that you had given it a bit longer?

All views are welcome, positive and negative.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:10 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you regret having gone to Australia?

Originally posted by sunchaser
Hi,

I'm new to this site and wanted to get an opinion from people on their views of life in Australia, particularly Perth.

My hubby and I have our visa's and are flying out at the end of August. We're in IT and fully aware that finding a job in our field is non-existent. We have no idea what we're going to do for a living but will try almost anything. It's only the two of us so we have no one else to consider.
We went to Perth on a rekkie for two weeks in May and were impressed with what we saw. Although, having said that, we are totally aware that holidaying and living in a place is totally different.

We know that we can return to the UK if things don't work out but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for us.

For those of you that have returned.... are you glad you came back and are you happy with your decision or do wish that you had given it a bit longer?

im not in/returned/going to Oz, but do know that if you have the right attitude you should be ok! Just dont expect it to be some utopia...expect it to be DIFFERENT, dont expect it to be perfect! If you are young and have little or no ties, go and enjoy yourself.....because as many of us can verify, it can all be taken away from you very quickly and very suddenly.

enjoy!!!!

sue
Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont regret coming here. Its not perfect, sometimes its hard, sometimes its fantastic. Its a big adventure but i'm glad we're trying.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:40 pm

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

mcmercer, do you mind if I ask where in Oz you live and how long you've been there?
Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:41 pm

Sorry, just noted Brisbane. Getting the hang of this!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

We're in Brisbane, been here 4 months. I had a lot of doubts before coming, but so far things have been easier and better than i expected. I still have difficult days, and peoplesickness but its not been overwhelming. Its too early to say whether we'll stay, but either way it'll have been worth it.
Good luck,
Michaela
Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

We are in Perth been here 20 months no regrets love it.
If you come with the right attitude you will be ok. There are jobs here so hopefully you will both be really lucky and land one. Good luck hope it all goes well.
Joanne
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:00 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sunchaser
Hi,

I don't regret that we went and don't regret returning either. Before we went I felt my job in London was getting a bit stale and promotion seemed a long way off. The opportunity for a 2 year, later extended to 3 years, secondment to Sydney came up and we took it. It seemed to do me some good on the job front as I was promoted whilst there and promoted again as soon as I returned. There's a lot to be said for the confidence gained from broadening one's horizons. 3 years was definitely long enough for us in Sydney for numerous reasons. We've been back in London a year now and we are happier people than ever, probably because living in Oz really made us appreciate what a great life, family and friends we have in England. So the answer is "no regrets".
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:13 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Been here in Brisbane for 3 years and I have never for one moment had any regrets. I think it helps if your expectations are realistic and it also depends on the reasons for the move.

You see a lot on here who are moving or have moved to escape the crime and cost of living and drugs and poor education and failing health service that they perceive to be endemic to the UK. They get here and realise the same problems exist here and they are disappointed.

Or, you see people who think that by coming here they will get this utopian lifestyle and will be able to combine the equity from their UK property and the favourable exchange rate to settle here mortgage free with a bigger and better house, a pool, nice beaches etc. Unfortunately, that is a dream. Property costs as much here (with respect to salaries) and the big houses with pools by the beach tend to be more expensive than average (surprise!). They get here and find they will need a mortgage, they cannot live by the beach, they will not get a big house near to where they need to get a job to cover the mortgage etc. They end up disappointed (and every minor change in the exchange rate send them scurrying to their spreadsheets to work out how much richer or poorer they will be so they are generally stressed out too).

The people who seem to settle best are the ones who:
  • have very few preconceived ideas of what life will be like here
  • can accept the negative as well as the positive posts on here and read between the lines of the "bitter and twisted brigade" to get to the truth
  • realise that it is not better, not worse, just different
  • are in it for the adventure as much as for the "better life"
  • are not really close to family in the UK and so will suffer far less from homesickness (or people sickness)
  • realise it is "same shit, shinier bucket"
  • drink that girly poof juice (lager) already so won't miss real beer
  • do not give a toss about the English premier league

Just my thoughts

Cheers,

DagBoy

[edited for typos]

Last edited by DagBoy; Jun 8th 2004 at 1:28 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

Well said DB,

however, we dont fit in with all of your list and are doing ok so far. think the first 4 are most important.

Michaela
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:30 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
Well said DB,

however, we dont fit in with all of your list and are doing ok so far. think the first 4 are most important.

Michaela
Hey Michaela - it was not meant to be a complete list,or exhaustive, just things that I think help.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:31 pm

Hi and thanks again for your views.

Joanne, where abouts in Perth are you, Northern or Southern suburbs? What do you guys do for a living and did you find it easy to get jobs?

Herman, I think having a job to go to in Oz is like winning the lottery. We've been able to move around with work before and it does take a load off the mind!

DagBoy, thanks for your tips. I think we are totally realistic and the only concern we have is jobs. We did some house hunting in May so are aware of property prices. As for the spreadsheets - no way, hate living in the "what if/should've/could've" mindset! I'm more live with it, learn and move on.

Michaela, thanks for your views too! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Have you found settling in easy?

Sun chaser
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Dagboy,
Yes, I got that and thought it was a good post, but popped mine on as anyone with the wobbles may worry further....just trying to be reassuring

Sunchaser,
Yes, we've found it surprisingly easy to settle. We've been lucky as we found jobs easily and have met lots of people, a number of whom we met from this site.

Michaela
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:46 pm
joveazey

Hi,

We are hoping to go to Perth if we get the visas. My sister in law and family live there and have done for the last 4 years. Before that they were in Sydney for a year. The absolutely love it there and would never come back. We went for a month in December and decided it was the life for us. I saw the post about the houses not really being cheaper but I think that person lived in Brisbane, Perth is much cheaper than anywhere else. You can get a nice 4 bed, 2 bath with a pool and a double garage for about A$350,000. Whereabouts are you hoping to live ? We are going to be within 15 mins of family, they live in Greenwood.

Jo

Old Jun 8th 2004, 2:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DagBoy

The people who seem to settle best are the ones who:
[*]drink that girly poof juice (lager) already so won't miss real beer

I wish people would stop reminding me about this

I will cry into my beer on the day we leave the UK

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.