Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you recommend a reccie??

Do you recommend a reccie??

Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:11 am
Just Joined

chrisam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you recommend a reccie??

We are planning to move over to Perth (visas permitting!!) and are undecided to do a reccie first or not. We have never been to Australia but sort of feel that if we just bite the bullet and go then we will have to make it work, but then the other part of me says that we should check it out before making the final move.

My sister is over in Sydney at the moment and she said that if she had gone out for a holiday first, then she probably would have come home.

Any advice??
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do you recommend a reccie??

Personally, I'd say yes, I'd never move all that way without a reccie first - what a waste of money & effort that'd be if you didn't like it . I've visited and travelled around parts of Auz three times now over 10 years and there are still bits I havent' been too, but I'm pretty sure we've made the right decision in where to settle, but will still be checking out other states on the next visit in Feb/Mar just to be sure - best of luck with whatever you decide
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:31 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by chrisam
We are planning to move over to Perth (visas permitting!!) and are undecided to do a reccie first or not. We have never been to Australia but sort of feel that if we just bite the bullet and go then we will have to make it work, but then the other part of me says that we should check it out before making the final move.

My sister is over in Sydney at the moment and she said that if she had gone out for a holiday first, then she probably would have come home.

Any advice??
Id say yes too...I love it here,but can see that it wouldnt be everyones cup of tea as it were...
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

TrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant future

Hi Chrisam,
This subject has been discussed before and I think the general opinion was to have a reccie if you have the cash AND the time. The shortage of either one of these (or both) is why most people probably go 'blind'. We did (went blind) came back (just 9 weeks later - long story) and go again next July. In hindsight we would have liked to have had a reccie trip first - we have learnt so much by going that we could never have found out through the net or by talking to people - but ruled it out due to cost and the time we would have liked to have a real good look around. The normal two week holiday isn't long is it! Saying all this there are LOADS on here who will tell you they too came 'blind' and are lovin it!!!!! Good luck either way.
Trev

Last edited by TrickyTrev; Nov 20th 2005 at 11:44 am.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:44 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Any advice??
In my opinion definatley do a reccie, I wouldnt have considered going without seeing the place first
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:47 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Our recci just complicated things as liked everywhere we went, but now also know there are plenty of places we could live within easy moving distance.

Think you have to stick your pin in the map and then look around the area you would like to live. Also, we found it very good talking to Australians about their impression of the areas you liked.

And in the end if you don't like where you are move on...Australia is a big country with lots of different choices.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:55 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

if I'd come here on a holiday/reccie we wouldnt live here. The holiday bits are pants, the life bits are fantastic.

My reasoning was that millions of people lived here, so it couldnt be that bad.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:19 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice??
People think differently on this subject. However, to move realistically accross the otherside of the world without knowing what you are letting yourself in for, to my mind was foolish. We came here first to see what Australia held for us.

Thats not to say that people dont do it, but this is the biggest decision that someone can make and frankly you could hate the place! There are people on this board who do have have returned to the UK.

Watching TV and reading books and posts and the reality of living here are two entirely different things. Whichever you decide I wish you the very best.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

1234gav is a jewel in the rough1234gav is a jewel in the rough1234gav is a jewel in the rough1234gav is a jewel in the rough

Hi. if theres one thing i have found out with the migration and speaking to people is that whats good for some is not good for me. However we went out for two months at the start of 2005 and we used it to suss the oz life, culture aswell as catch up with mates we have there. So what came of it, we fell in love with the country straight away and the people. The sights(yes we have them too) are all great. So i would say a reccie would be a good idea the only thing is now that we are doing the process and sorting the finance out thats involved and making means for banking in oz, is that we wished we had not spent as mutch while there we went a bit silly spent most of £10.000 which was stupid but we did do everything. how long would you go out for , would you have an area in mind, have you kids etc etc ?
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

Any advice??
Hi, we have short term rentals south of Perth, and the one thing that most people that stay with us when emigrating say is that they should have come straight to us as being self catering it would have saved them a fortune ( on Hotel/motels etc). A couple of weeks in short term will cost the same all up as hotels, meals in pubs and restaurants etc. Anyway, check our site out at http://members.westnet.com.au/cedarcottage/ Hope this help, Suzette and Will.
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice??
If you can afford it, then do it, my hubby came over and stayed with friends for a couple of weeks. We needed every penny, The thing is a holiday will be fantastic, but it is not the same as living here.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:27 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

I have known people to move to Oz without even visiting and have found them to be the strongest when making the move. No regrets so i have been told.

I personally would think that it would be more exciting and more of a challenge rather than do a reccie trip then move but everyones different i guess.

A move to Oz must be better than living here in the UK..........

Rob
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

mercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the rough

I'll probably get flamed to buggery for this but, the word is RECCE!

And yes, it is worth it. We're not making the move until 2007 but we've already done two trips to Sidney and Brisbane. Just combine it with a holiday, you need all the information you can get on a location if you are planning to permanently live there.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 3:02 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mercador
I'll probably get flamed to buggery for this but, the word is RECCE!

And yes, it is worth it. We're not making the move until 2007 but we've already done two trips to Sidney and Brisbane. Just combine it with a holiday, you need all the information you can get on a location if you are planning to permanently live there.
Sorry but the word is Sydney!
Old Nov 20th 2005, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

mercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fraser
Sorry but the word is Sydney!
Good one! Slip of the finger! I won't edit it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.