Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you put your life on hold while waiting for visa?

Do you put your life on hold while waiting for visa?

Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice
Default Do you put your life on hold while waiting for visa?

We have just done our medicals and are still awaiting the final decision. I feel that we should not make any major decisions, commitments until we know the final decision whereas hubby feels that we cannot put our lives on hold for a visa which we might or might not get. He says we can't let good investment opportunites pass us by for a visa we don't have. He wants to make some fairly major investments which would take time to get out of should we leave for Aus although there would be no risk of losing our money. Does this mean deep down he doesn't want to go? What has everyone else done whilst awaiting their decision?
Old Aug 6th 2006, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you put your life on hold while waiting for visa?

Originally Posted by dade
We have just done our medicals and are still awaiting the final decision. I feel that we should not make any major decisions, commitments until we know the final decision whereas hubby feels that we cannot put our lives on hold for a visa which we might or might not get. He says we can't let good investment opportunites pass us by for a visa we don't have. He wants to make some fairly major investments which would take time to get out of should we leave for Aus although there would be no risk of losing our money. Does this mean deep down he doesn't want to go? What has everyone else done whilst awaiting their decision?
If you've done your medicals then I think you're pretty much in? After our medicals and PCC were received we heard within 1 week that the visa had been granted!
Don't put your life on hold but it does move pretty fast after the medicals so start planning!
Good luck!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

As Stella says - don't put your life on hold but ..... we went through a mad stage where literally everything waited, don't get that new sheet for the bed as we won't be taking that bed etc (cost = £7!!) which is ridiculous however we went ahead and bought a house for renovation and its been manic - this is probably our last 6 weeks in the country and I'm busy stripping woodchip and running round after conservatories and kitchens etc and the most gutting thing is it'll probably struggle to cover costs!

really think about it, if medicals done it probably won't be long before you hear so just depends how quickly you plan on being out there really!

good luck with whatever you decide!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 8:14 pm
Ben&Jill

Ben1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the rough

the simple answer is YES
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

God I've had my life on hold for a year at least and got a few more years to go before we can get a visa Is crap just waiting around, but hopefully one day we'll get there!
Think yourself lucky that you have money that you can invest and that you're close to gaining a visa. I've got years of saving and praying before I get anywhere near a visa, but if it all fails then I think of plan B and move on
Try looking for the positives and good luck with whatever comes your way

Last edited by Australia_bound?; Aug 6th 2006 at 9:54 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:20 pm
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

put it out of your head i know its easy said than done but i did it and one morning i was really late for work rushing round thinking shit there going to kill me and i remember my husband saying come look at this but i was to busy to then he said i think u need to then it was there our visa just about 10 days from xmas what a present

good luck not long now

lisa
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:06 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we where engaged when we started the process and had wait to get married before they would give us the answer, being engaged we couldn't go the defacto route.
So it was over a year of waiting, putting everything on hold.

Well worth it in the end !