Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you plan to work in OZ and if so what work will you do.?

Do you plan to work in OZ and if so what work will you do.?

Old Mar 10th 2003, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Do you plan to work in OZ and if so what work will you do.?

Wondered how many immigrants will arrive without the need to work, (you know all that dosh from the UK property market). Or will most of you be in the job market and if so what are you looking for.

In case you wonder, we have own business, own house without mortage and reckon if we did not have the business we would both need full time jobs to pay the basics. Thats me what about everyone else?
Old Mar 10th 2003, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hiya,

we are only young 24 & 29 and although we are quite comfortable life over here, my husband has his own joinery buisness and I am a Business Analyst we are not in that price sky high house market they have down south, we will make money on our house but not to set us up for life. We have both stated that we would possibly like to do different things when we get out there :-

for example, my hubby plays semi professional football over here and hopes to get playing for a team and also coach football as a part time job he has always wanted to do this and thankfully he knows the contacts over on the sunshine coast. He also wants to be a fireman since he was small but not sure about that.

I on the other hand am not sure, I love my job but I used to be a lecturer at University in Setting up in Business and Selling etc. This for me is difficult choice in what I would like to do I have thought of changing my career path as I always wanted to be a barrister over here but money for Barr was too expensive.

The list of possibles I could do :-

Business Consultant
Credit /Business Analyst
Credit Manager
Accounts Manager
Lecturer (but subjects maybe different)
Own my own business

List of things I would like to retrain as :

Physiotherapist
Nutrionist
Dietician
Interior Designer

I have looked at another degree having to do one over there, I am going to contact one of the hospital nearer the time to find out any placements.

Carrianne
Old Mar 10th 2003, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you plan to work in OZ and if so what work will you do.?

Both of you would need to work to pay the basics - with no mortgage?!! Complete crap I say! More scaremongering for the would be migrants. When you say 'basics', do you mean actual 'basics'? Basics for me is food, shelter and pay the bills. What's your basics Dotty? - $500 'Creme de Mer' facial cream, weekly colonic irrigation at $100 a go and a $500 a week drug habit?
Old Mar 10th 2003, 2:52 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

We both plan to work and do not have jobs to go to. I am a legal secretary and from what I can see on the net there should be something available once we are settled. My husband is a fitter on landing gear and hopes to work in the aerospace industry maybe on overhaul at one of the airports - who knows.
Old Mar 10th 2003, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, hubby is a fabricator, builds trikes for a living, also hes a mot tester, but i gather they dont have mot testers in oz, im a fitness instructor and personal trainer in body building.
Old Mar 10th 2003, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Shikse
Both of you would need to work to pay the basics - with no mortgage?!! Complete crap I say! More scaremongering for the would be migrants. When you say 'basics', do you mean actual 'basics'? Basics for me is food, shelter and pay the bills. What's your basics Dotty? - $500 'Creme de Mer' facial cream, weekly colonic irrigation at $100 a go and a $500 a week drug habit?

There's those that have lived there, and those that haven't. why don't you wait 'till you get there before mouthing off?
Old Mar 10th 2003, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

Hi
I was in Brisbane last year and found that for a couple with a young child (4yrs) you could suvive with an income of $400 per week.That is if you don't have to pay rent or mortgage.We lived on this for 4 months and didn't find ourself struggling.I would imagine you would need more than $400 per week in Sydney or Melbourne....anyone here with first hand knowledge of this?

Previous opinions are certainly right......because they are just opinions!

Regards

Lee
Old Mar 10th 2003, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by joebloggs
There's those that have lived there, and those that haven't. why don't you wait 'till you get there before mouthing off?
So lets have your views. Are you in Oz?
Old Mar 10th 2003, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I am a teacher and hubby a regional manager.

I will take a break from work for a while, though hopefully will get a job teaching for 2 days perweek no more full time job for me!! or I might abandon it all together and go into the business with hubby.

Hubby will either go into the property market, we are thinking of buying wrecks doing them up and selling. If the money is to be made that is. We have done the same over here so know what we would be taking on. Or open / buy some sort of business, his background is in food so possibly down that road.

We won't be desperate to work as we hopefully will be taking a large amount of money with us and will probably live off the interest for a while - 6 months -until we get sorted.

Rent/ mortgage aside how much do you think a family of 5 need to spend a month on food fuel etc?

Tina
Old Mar 10th 2003, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

HazelG is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Science teacher, and Andy is an electrician
we are both hoping to find work in our respective professions (in SA), but are prepared to do anything within reason to get by!!!
Old Mar 10th 2003, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

i'm a self employed air conditioning engineer

lorna is a full time mum (easy life eh girls? ;-)

anywhere in the world that situation won't change

cheers

richard
Old Mar 10th 2003, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Shikse
You hit the nail on the head with that, nice one
Old Mar 10th 2003, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleW is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a nurse and husband a bricklayer, both will be working when we get there........
Old Mar 10th 2003, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

mx5rabbitohs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by joebloggs

well...i think most people would kill to not have a mortgage - and if it used to be a third of your income - well more these days - well 2 jobs seem extravagant..unless of course you are well skilled..

mike
Old Mar 10th 2003, 8:50 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Having asked the question about how much I had to have a think anyway - no rent no mortgage covering the following comfortably

Groceries, including all that cleaning etc stuff
Utilities, water, gas, electricity
Council rates - if you don't rent
Other levies if applicable
House Insurance
Telephone/Internet
Car Rego/Insurance
Car Service
Petrol
Medical Insurance
Bus Fares
School Lunches
Train Fares

I would say approx $500 a week here in Sydney, family of four. Up and down weeks of course (I tried to even it out)

That above does not include
Clothing
Entertainment
Holiday saving
Alcohol/Cigs
Pool Maintenance if applicable
Extra School activities

I am renting at the moment, I do not think I would like costs if I had home maintenance on top. We only run one car now, used to have two and motorbike in the UK. I also would hate to live on this week in week out, it is very comfortable but a bit boring! - I like my activities, meal out, cinema, concert (Rolling Stones were $99 cheapest!) beach is great and we go often but depending where you go there can be parking costs and boogie boards and surf boards and wax and wet suits all have costs attached.

On the up side, Husband took a five month break and then changed careers after 22 years, he is loving it....and yes in total we are having an adventure albeit an expensive one at times!

I am not sure about medical Insurance, my company pays that but boy without it it can be a nightmare and I only get back a proportion of the costs - I just paid $250 for two children check up/clean at dentist, $110 for two eye checkups - and one child has to go back for filling (unsure of cost), other estimated at $6000 for braces in the next year, 2nd one hopefully 18 months to 2 year (time to save). So build all that in with kids and adults. It is not the day to day things that can throw you it is the unexpected that upset the estimates.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.