Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you pay Council Tax or land Tax in Oz?

Do you pay Council Tax or land Tax in Oz?

Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Kennethb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you pay Council Tax or land Tax in Oz?

In sydney do you pay council tax or land tax if you own or rent??
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you pay Council Tax or land Tax in Oz?

You pay rates (council tax) if you own....nothing if you rent....the landlord pays.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:42 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Your rates also include your water bill btw.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:02 am
Just Joined

excellent thanks
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:17 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

mistake post! edit!

Last edited by AndyR1976; Mar 11th 2008 at 5:18 am. Reason: double post cause I'm a spastic!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:17 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

And, depending on the area, they will be a lot less.

My 1 bed apartment in Canterbury town centre cost me about 1200 POUNDS a year.

My place in Terrigal, 200 metres from the beach, 3 bed, double garage and ten times the size of my flat in the UK costs me about half that!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:22 am
Just Joined

that is alot cheaper!!!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

And you (can have to) pay land tax as well if you are a landlord....
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

The council rates do not include water rates. The water rates are separate it is just that the landlord will usually pay council, water and strata/maintenance fees. All of this is of course factored into rentals by landlords.

Tenants are required to pay eletricity, gas, telephone and other utilities. If you own you will have to pay all of it.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks that makes renting in Sdyney cheaper then where i am now in england.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kennethb
Thanks that makes renting in Sdyney cheaper then where i am now in england.
Probably not that much different in terms of percentage of your income I would suspect. All depends on where you go of course, some parts of Sydney will be far more expensive and other parts (will you really want to live there???) may be dirt cheap.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

does anyone know the area Artarmon?? this is near where i would work so to save money i was thinking to live within walking distance!! Been to Sdyney but did not see this area.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 12:07 am
Aussie lost in the UK

Originally Posted by Bootle
The council rates do not include water rates. The water rates are separate it is just that the landlord will usually pay council, water and strata/maintenance fees. All of this is of course factored into rentals by landlords.

Tenants are required to pay eletricity, gas, telephone and other utilities. If you own you will have to pay all of it.
Depends on the area - some areas the water/sewer services are run by teh COuncil, so they usually send you ONE rates bill with everything on it.

In other areas there are seperate water authorities (Hunter Water which deals with the enture Lower Hunter Valley for example) and they'll send seperate bills to the Council (well atleast they used to).

Some tenants have to pay water rates - but tenants never have to pay Council rates (unless the landlord is shonky)
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kennethb
In sydney do you pay council tax or land tax if you own or rent??
In NSW you may pay both: if you are sitting on land and not building you will pay most of the rates plus a tax every year on the land as valued each year.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

We pay $2100 per year for a 600m² home, with pool, on 3 acres. This includes water rates. The only other bills we get are Electricity and Telephone. We're 20km North of Brisbane CBD.

Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.