Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you need to wait 1 month before quitting a job in Australia ?

Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

lotr will become famous soon enough
Default Do you need to wait 1 month before quitting a job in Australia ?

Let's suppose this:

You are working at Company 1 and Company 2 offers you a very good job but you need to leave immediately the job you have in Company 1.
Can you do it ? Or do you need to wait 1 month before quitting the job you have in Company 1 ? Obviously it is not polite to quit a job immediately, but is it against the law to quit a job immediately ?

Thank you for any opinion

Last edited by lotr; Oct 4th 2009 at 8:20 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:24 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you need to wait 1 month before quitting a job in Australia ?

Originally Posted by lotr

Let's suppose this:

You are working at Company 1 and Company 2 offers you a very good job but you need to leave immediately the job you have in Company 1.
Can you do it ? Or do you need to wait 1 month before quitting the job you have in Company 1 ? Obviously it is not polite to quit a job immediately, but is it against the law to quit a job immediately ?

You can do it. Most would give 2 weeks notice out of courtesy
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Let's suppose this:

as a rule of thumb, if you are paid:
weekly = 1 weeks notice
fortnightly = 2 weeks notice
Monthly = 1 months notice

Barney
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

best thing is read your contract.

H is a tradie and was paid weekly. When his former shonky employer decided to lay people off, they were given notice to the end of the day- so about 2 hours!
And apparently all completely legal under the John Howard workplace reforms (which now do not apply to new hires)
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Let's suppose this:

Hiya

Just as Barney said, the rule of thumb is that you give notice in accordance with how you are paid. My OH had a job to come to here but he really didn't like it and was unhappy with the way in which the company treated him so after we discussed it he spoke to the MD and finished at the end of his first week with no problems other than giving them some feedback as to why he was unhappy with the job and the company so they could make sure the situation didn't happen again. They didn't make him work notice and in all honesty the MD was absolutely great and couldn't have been more apologetic or helpful. Don't know if this helps since you are in a slightly different situation, but good luck.

Nikki
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

All my jobs here have been 1 month/4 weeks notice even though I have been paid fortnightly. This is after the 3 months probation period where the notice for either side was 1 week.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Look at your contract - they can vary hugely. Mine is 1 week for first year, 2 weeks for second year, etc up to 4 weeks I think. In my previous job it was 2 weeks although HR tried to tell you it was 4 weeks or a term all depending on which pr*t you got info from.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
as a rule of thumb, if you are paid:
weekly = 1 weeks notice
fortnightly = 2 weeks notice
Monthly = 1 months notice

Barney
And the same goes for getting sacked

JTL
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Probation periods are more common here than in the UK, even for fairly senior jobs. It is common during that period for there to be just a week's notice period on either side. Ultimately it's a contractual issue but it's worth remembering that it can be a small world in certain industry sectors here so it's always worth leaving on good terms if possible.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:29 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
All my jobs here have been 1 month/4 weeks notice even though I have been paid fortnightly. This is after the 3 months probation period where the notice for either side was 1 week.
That was the same response that I got when I asked the Indusrial Relations call centre person the same question. It really depends under what award (State or Federal) you are employed under but there is always room for negotiation.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

I got laid off work the week before xmas, a phone call on the wednesday saying there was no work from now, The spineless bastard couldn't tell me face to face earlier that day. It pissed him off when he realised i had not taken any holidays for 15 months and he had to pay me 6 weeks holidays Well he is a <SNIPPED> so i'm a firm believer in Karma and am really glad to now hear he is about to go bust
I might offer him a job but then again F**K him

Last edited by Rete; Oct 5th 2009 at 4:11 pm. Reason: Been reported this is a racial slur, thus it has been removed. You are angry but that doesnt justify racism.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:06 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Look at your contract (I hope you have one) and it will state what notice you must give your employer. My opinion is that you shouldn't burn any bridges with anyone as they can come back to bite you. Always leave on good terms and depending on what you do, leaving Company 1 for Company 2 immediately is not leaving on good terms. Just don't expect Company 1 to hire you ever again.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I got laid off work the week before xmas, a phone call on the wednesday saying there was no work from now, The spineless bastard couldn't tell me face to face earlier that day. It pissed him off when he realised i had not taken any holidays for 15 months and he had to pay me 6 weeks holidays Well he is a <SNIPPED> so i'm a firm believer in Karma and am really glad to now hear he is about to go bust
I might offer him a job but then again F**K him
You see dear brother, there is a god. Get your drinking goggles out and come onboard the god bus. The time is drawing near.

Barney