Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you need a TV Licence in Oz?

Do you need a TV Licence in Oz?

Old May 31st 2005, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you need a TV Licence in Oz?

Aaaah in case you were wondering where the boring posts had got to................here I am again
Old May 31st 2005, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you need a TV Licence in Oz?

And here comes a predictable reply............ .....no, you don;t need a TV licence, just as well because no-one would pay for the majority of junk thats on TV here
If you (like I did) moan about the stuff on UK television, have a quick rethink and make the most of it while you can. I hate to say it, but Aussie TV makes the BBC look worth the licence fee
Old May 31st 2005, 10:11 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

You dont like CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York, CSI Maidenhead, NCIS, NCIS Miami, SVU, BigBrother, Old episodes of The Bill, Midsomer Murders, or the Simpsons!. Jeez ! tv here is great (not).

Foxtel is same price or cheaper as sky in Uk and you get to watch even MORE of these programs and some of them are even on 2hr timeshift so you can watch them again. And with FoxtelIQ you can pause and rewind them all.

To see whats really on TV you can go here
www.ebroadcast.com

To see whats on Foxtel you can go here
www.foxtel.com

Its not that bad - there is stuff to watch - but its not BBC1/BBC2 but then its not 26 degrees in UK.

Any country that has 3 simpsons per day on free-to-view and 3 HRS of Simpsons every weekend morning is good for me.
Old May 31st 2005, 10:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have to admit I only watch one hour of TV a week - Casualty, on UKTV...... the Bloke watches it the rest of the week but I have developed a knack of tuning it out!
Old May 31st 2005, 10:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
You dont like CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York, CSI Maidenhead, NCIS, NCIS Miami, SVU, BigBrother, Old episodes of The Bill, Midsomer Murders, or the Simpsons!. Jeez ! tv here is great (not).
I love the CSI's. Not caught the Maidenhead one yet though, so looking forward to it Do they still hold their torches at a funny angle and look impossibly glamourous whilst covered in blood

If they were real, I would shoot the Simpsons. Not funny, not clever just bloody awful.

Anyway, I didn't think anyone watched tv out there, all out doing family out doorsy things aren't you
Old May 31st 2005, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by spalen
...but then its not 26 degrees in UK.

It is not here (Hunter valley) either, I'm freezing!
Old May 31st 2005, 11:21 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Global Village on SBS at 18:00 weekdays is easy viewing. SBS World Movies is worth monitoring - watched an Armenian filum last night - "Vodka Lemon" - chillingly reminded me of Yugoslavia. ABC's LandLine, 4Corners are worth monitoring.

You need a video recorder and programme guide and know how to use both.
Old May 31st 2005, 11:29 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by optus
It is not here (Hunter valley) either, I'm freezing!
its not 26 degrees in many places in OZ now, its only 12c degrees in melbourne now.

Old May 31st 2005, 11:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Beware when recording programs to watch later !

They sometimes start late and therefore end late. To be on the safe side allow 30 minutes after it should finish, to try to ensure you get the ending !!

Whether you will like Australian TV or not will depend very much on your viewing tastes.

My own tastes mean that I only watch Channel 10 for about 30 minutes per week, but ABC and SBS seem pretty good, and Channel 7 seems to have a fair number of UK programs.

aussie73 - it's 19C here now

Old May 31st 2005, 11:51 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Beware when recording programs to watch later !

They sometimes start late and therefore end late. To be on the safe side allow 30 minutes after it should finish, to try to ensure you get the ending !!

Whether you will like Australian TV or not will depend very much on your viewing tastes.

My own tastes mean that I only watch Channel 10 for about 30 minutes per week, but ABC and SBS seem pretty good, and Channel 7 seems to have a fair number of UK programs.

aussie73 - it's 19C here now
In Qld the programmes are synchronized to the arrival of the cows in the dairy.
Old May 31st 2005, 11:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Megalania
In Qld the programmes are synchronized to the arrival of the cows in the dairy.
Well, the cows should be asleep at midnight !!!

I recorded Star Trek last night 12:00 till 1:00, I think it actually ran 12:30 to 1:30 !!

But I played safe and recorded 11:45 till 2:00

Old Jun 1st 2005, 12:00 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Just got my DVD recorder and see you can record using the G code.

Does this take into account any late starts/ends and adjust automatically?

cheers

TT

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Well, the cows should be asleep at midnight !!!

I recorded Star Trek last night 12:00 till 1:00, I think it actually ran 12:30 to 1:30 !!

But I played safe and recorded 11:45 till 2:00
Old Jun 1st 2005, 12:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Just got my DVD recorder and see you can record using the G code.

Does this take into account any late starts/ends and adjust automatically?

cheers

TT
I doubt it, but please tell us when you try it.

Try recording Home and Away on Channel 7 (It should be 7pm to 7.30).
I'm sure that is always late !! I had to tape it for my wife, and missed the last 3 minutes of each episode !!! I now record 7:03 to 7:33. And NO, my clock is correct !!

I discounted getting G code for that reason.

Old Jun 1st 2005, 1:11 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And here comes a predictable reply............ .....no, you don;t need a TV licence, just as well because no-one would pay for the majority of junk thats on TV here
If you (like I did) moan about the stuff on UK television, have a quick rethink and make the most of it while you can. I hate to say it, but Aussie TV makes the BBC look worth the licence fee
"No, I'm not starting a war" said President Bush; "It's called a preemptive strike".

A
Old Jun 1st 2005, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

I wish they had a licence system here, and that some IQ levels were attached to the licence criteria. Sigh...... yes I know I'm being an elitist snob but hasn't everyone got fed up of watching "CSI:Live Celebrity Manhunt", all that blood, gore, bling-bling, "Oooo scratch your eyes out" and "does my bum look big in this"?

At least in the UK I could watch the washer for half an hour to relax after a stressful day at work, but here they all seam to be top loaders. Looks like I'm going to have to learn the art of conversation again.

Papa Z

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.