Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do you need money in the bank before you move??

do you need money in the bank before you move??

Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Jonnah24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do you need money in the bank before you move??

someone has just mentioned to me that you need a certain amount of money in the bank before you move to oz.

is this correct and how much do you need??
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:54 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do you need money in the bank before you move??

Originally Posted by Jonnah24
someone has just mentioned to me that you need a certain amount of money in the bank before you move to oz.

Depends on which visa you are moving on, or if you have a job to get straight into when you get here. If you don't, you will need some to live on ie housing, food, transportation etc. There is no real set amount you will need, that is, you can have as much or as little as you need to survive.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

I am a qualified Gas fitter and it still took 6 months to get a job here, so I would factor in to your calculations enough to survive on for 6 months
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:47 pm
we're there!

AshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant future

you need $1million as a deposit...
I'll send you the account details where the money needs to be deposited
Old Jul 25th 2008, 5:05 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply to come over on a permanent visa (175 etc..) there is no 'requirement', however you need to factor in that you will not be entitled to claim unemployment benefit, and you may not be able to secure employment immediately.
Some arrive with loads of money, others with very little....
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: do you need money in the bank before you move??

sorry, what i meant was, do the australian government like you to have x number of pounds in the bank before you can enter the country? obviously i wouldn't come over without ANY money as that would be silly.

sorry, i should have explained myself clearer xx
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

haha, very funny ash!!! and i wouldn't feel right coming over and claiming benifit! never have here and have to intention there.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:28 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

haha, very funny ash!!! and i wouldn't feel right coming over and claiming benifit! never have here and have to intention there.
The simple answer is it has no effect on your visa and there is no minimum amount.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Dondy is an unknown quantity at this point

But you need a bucket load to live on if you have hungry mouths to feed!