Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you need a doctor's appointment to get a doctor's letter?

Do you need a doctor's appointment to get a doctor's letter?

Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you need a doctor's appointment to get a doctor's letter?

In the past I've usually had a doctor's appointment anyway and it was easy to get a doctor's letter at the time.

I'm not well enough for work tomorrow (honestly!) but it doesn't merit an actual appointment with a doctor (and the nasty fee that goes with it).

Could I ring any clinic, explain my circumstances and ask for a doctor's line to cover my absence from work tomorrow? And do doctors charge for this service?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you need a doctor's appointment to get a doctor's letter?

You might not need a letter for one day?

Sorry cannot answer your actual question, not been to doctors here yet.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bermudashorts.

Unfortunately my employer asks for a letter if you are off on the Monday or Friday, to prevent unofficial long weekends

Just my luck to be sick on a Sunday...
Old Nov 28th 2010, 2:08 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have Medicare? If so find a drop-in clinic that bulk bills and it shouldn't cost you a thing. (I know there's one in Newtown and another in Neutral Bay but not sure where you are.)

Hope you feel better soon.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Seasider

I'm in the Northern Beaches and go to various GP surgeries. Not sure if we have any bulk billers locally but I'll ring my nearest clinic tomorrow and see what the craic is anyway.

Cheers again
Old Nov 28th 2010, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

If it's sick note you want you don't need to go to your doctor to get one, you could also go to your local pharmacy they can do one for you, in QLD they charge you $10, it was done for me & my employer accept it.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:05 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
If it's sick note you want you don't need to go to your doctor to get one, you could also go to your local pharmacy they can do one for you, in QLD they charge you $10, it was done for me & my employer accept it.
Local pharmacy??

I am in NSW, same situation as OP, I can self sign for 2 days unless its on a friday/monday. I also live on Northern Beaches. If I truly am not well enough to go to the doctors I just don't go but you can call and Online NSW Healthcare and they will advise you of your options.
But, I am also lucky enough that my employer trusts me, if I don;t have a note then they take my word for it. I bloody dare them to challenge me!! lol
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:41 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

No Dr worth their salt will issue you with a sick note without seeing you first, except in unusual circumstances ie you are very well known to the Dr and have a recurring illness.

best to make an appt with a bulk billing Dr i see a private dr I like for most stuff but also have a bulk billing dr i go to for a referral letter or minor stuff.
Hope you feel better soon
Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:15 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
i see a private dr I like for most stuff but also have a bulk billing dr i go to for a referral letter or minor stuff.
Yep I've found that to be a good tactic too. Have my specific doc for serious/long-term stuff and also the place I can go to in a hurry if I need some antibiotics.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the same position on Friday, really peed off that I had to get out of my sick bed to get a doctors note for one day

I was coughing and sneezing that much it's a wonder I didn't have a car accident! But I did phone up first to make sure it was a bulk biller, no appointment necessary just hang around the waiting room with all the other sick people.

The company I now work for has this Friday or Monday sick day policy, in my last Oz company we only used to have to do that if it was either side of a public holiday or long weekend....

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 28th 2010 at 8:17 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Local pharmacy??

I am in NSW, same situation as OP, I can self sign for 2 days unless its on a friday/monday. I also live on Northern Beaches. If I truly am not well enough to go to the doctors I just don't go but you can call and Online NSW Healthcare and they will advise you of your options.
But, I am also lucky enough that my employer trusts me, if I don;t have a note then they take my word for it. I bloody dare them to challenge me!! lol

yep, recently my daughter was extremely sick, I went to the pharmacy near my work place to get her some counter medicine, the pharmacist came over asked a few question & then told me to take my daughter to the hospital immediately then she wrote me sick note as a parent carer to give to my employer, I had no problem & was paid for the time off.