Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you know the national anthem?

Wikiposts

Do you know the national anthem?

Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Sorry this may not make me seem very patriotic but................

My kids are now almost word perfect at advance australia fair, first verse only of course, as i reconed if they have to sing it at school it will be one less thing to worry about, i have also printed them out maps of aus to colour in naming the states and state capitals, they have also been colouring in the aussie flag, they can sing waltzing matilda due to finding it on an old tape of my mother in laws, they do a mean flower of scotland too.

Australia is going to be our adopted (or should that be adoptive) country so we should show it a bit of respect, plus i just thought if the kids knew a bit of aussieness before they started school they may feel less like outsiders.

:lecture: :lecture:

Lynn
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:35 am
WBB

Originally posted by lynnj

My kids are now almost word perfect at advance australia fair, first verse only of course, as i reconed if they have to sing it at school it will be one less thing to worry about, i have also printed them out maps of aus to colour in naming the states and state capitals, they have also been colouring in the aussie flag, they can sing waltzing matilda due to finding it on an old tape of my mother in laws, they do a mean flower of scotland too.

Australia is going to be our adopted (or should that be adoptive) country so we should show it a bit of respect, plus i just thought if the kids knew a bit of aussieness before they started school they may feel less like outsiders.

Lynn
a very sensible approach, kids are kids and they just want to have fun and not get caught up in the other stuff.

Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Lynnj,

Don't worry too much, I work with kids and was helping some of them with their homework the other day and your kids are probably more clued up than they were. One ten year old thought "Sydaney" was a State, another eleven year old couldn't name all the States and an eight year old didn't know the capital. Also their knowledge of the geography of the rest of the world is on the whole pretty dire.

Loopy
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Re: last post - ok probably a gross over generalisation, but it was true of the kids I was speaking to.

Loopy
Old Oct 30th 2003, 10:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by tennisoz
And you pinched our Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi

TennisOz
hardly..lol
Oggie, oggie, oggie. oi oi oi... oggie... oi oggie..oi... oggie oi

.Max boyce penned it many moons ago.. around the 70's or very early 80's... totally a welsh chant.. used by welsh fans... thieving Aussie g8ts

Apparently, if you go back far enough.. now this is how the story goes.. there was a pasty/pie called an oggie the miners used to eat them... the people used to shout down the mines "Oi oggie" when it was meal time.. I don't know how true this is.

Hands off our Oggie!

Ps you'd be surprised how many Aussies don't know the national anthem here. Anyone see "who wants to be a millionaire" months ago.. I think the question was what is the second line of Advance Australia fair? The guy had to go to the audience poll.. and even half of them got it wrong..lol.. even I know the first verse.

cheers
Old Oct 30th 2003, 10:44 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by seang
does anyone remember when Australia won their first medal in the winter olympics(sometime between 96-99?)-the organisers didnt have the aussie anthem and played some other anthem instead I think it was some eastern european countries anthem

LoL
wasn't that "the fall guy" (speed skating where everybody fell and he was last at the time.. but he won because everybody fell... it was quite funny). If it was him with the national anthem cock up, that happened in the past 6 years .

cheers
Old Oct 30th 2003, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lynnj

Lynn
I'm now starting to feel a little unpatriotic, and rather disrespectful to my mother country - I don't even know the English national anthem! Not even the first verse. I was trying to sing it in my head just now and I realised I was trying to remember the words to Rule Brittania!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 11:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
Apparently, if you go back far enough.. now this is how the story goes.. there was a pasty/pie called an oggie the miners used to eat them... the people used to shout down the mines "Oi oggie" when it was meal time.. I don't know how true this is.
Hands off our Oggie!
I think there is a brand of pasty in Cornwall called Oggies.

The big pastry seam is so the miners could eat them with dirty hands and chuck away the crust.

I'm hungry now...