Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you have to pay school fees in brisbane?

Do you have to pay school fees in brisbane?

Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold
Default Do you have to pay school fees in brisbane?

We are only at the stage of getting skills assessed at the moment but need to think of everything before we commit fully. My daughter will be nearly 13 by the time we move (born may 95) and is currently at Grammar school here in the UK. Does the state provide free education like they do here. Do they have equivalent to grammar schools or will we have to go private. Probably sounds silly but she is doing really well at school and if we have to pay it would be good to factor that into our cost of living that we are currently trying to work out. We also have no real idea what salary my husband will get until we arrive there so if fees are high, it will help trying to work out what he will have to earn and then try and find out a realistic salary he could get.
Thank you
Tam
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:18 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have to pay school fees in brisbane?

QLD state school is free... subject to buying books, paper, uniform etc.

Schools vary, and I think there are 30 odd private schools in brisbane, with a large proportion being religous based.

For a fairly good list.

http://www.brisbanecitylife.com.au/bcl/schools.htm
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tam

Here's a link to Qld education website which is a good starting point. As far as I know you don't pay for State education, but there are fees for private schools.

http://education.qld.gov.au/

good luck
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Jayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really nice

Originally Posted by TMRE
We are only at the stage of getting skills assessed at the moment but need to think of everything before we commit fully. My daughter will be nearly 13 by the time we move (born may 95) and is currently at Grammar school here in the UK. Does the state provide free education like they do here. Do they have equivalent to grammar schools or will we have to go private. Probably sounds silly but she is doing really well at school and if we have to pay it would be good to factor that into our cost of living that we are currently trying to work out. We also have no real idea what salary my husband will get until we arrive there so if fees are high, it will help trying to work out what he will have to earn and then try and find out a realistic salary he could get.
Thank you
Tam
Hi Tam,

Independent (private schools) vary in the fees they charge, but to give you some idea, a co-educational (mixed) school would average around $6,000 - $8,000 per year plus books/uniform. Brisbane Girls Grammer and similar single sex schools average around $11,000 - $12,000 per year. Hope that helps. Check out my website, I might be able to help you further.

Good luck with the move!

Jayne