Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do you hate the rain??!!

do you hate the rain??!!

Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:08 pm
Badge

Default do you hate the rain??!!

my twin brother has just landed in the UK after months in the Iraqi desert and hes back in London tonight.

When my father told him it was raining - and that we had had a great spring/summer he almost fell over with relief!!!

He is a tad miffed with sandstorms and sun!

It's all relative isn't it?!

badgers

Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:34 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: do you hate the rain??!!

Originally posted by badgersmount
my twin brother has just landed in the UK after months in the Iraqi desert and hes back in London tonight.

When my father told him it was raining - and that we had had a great spring/summer he almost fell over with relief!!!

badgers
No, I love the British weather. We are LUCKY to live in a country where we can get on with our daily lives without being extremely hot or extremely cold most of the time. British love to moan about the weather and dream of sunshine. Having lived under the blazing Aussie sun I no longer see the attraction - I'd rather be comfortable than too hot/coated in sun cream under the costant threat of mosquitos and tropical disease. We should celebrate our British weather, not moan about it - we have amongst the most comfortable climates, and certainly the most comfortable living conditions, on the whole planet.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:41 pm
Badge

Indeed!!!!

I agree with you. That was my point. Endless sun is a pain. Why aussies dont spend all their time on the beach. I was there a year and am proud of the fact I only went in the sea 5 times.

I guess Brits complain about the endless grey winters when the weather can't make up its mind. I would love to have icy freezing winters - with a BIT of sun!

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Jul 25th 2003 at 2:43 pm.

Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

So why do British people go on holiday then if the weather's so perfect???!!!
Old Jul 25th 2003, 3:20 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Gavin B
fair call - partly to get away from home I suppose....for a lot of us - having a holiday is all about escaping the UK itself (not for negative reasons!)..

funny - i have just seen my colleagues in full waterproofs and motorbikes at work depart on a motorcycling holiday to France - with rain forecast for their week...

badgers

Old Jul 25th 2003, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

Terrible! You just can't win wherever you go!!!
Old Jul 25th 2003, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Absolutely love the rain here. Watching it, hearing it, feeling it. That's what winter's all about. Spring means carpets of flowers and warmer days without the hayfever. Summer is predictable - sunshine, heat, big blue skies & living outdoors. Autumn has all the colours without the dramas of leaves on the line causing trains to stop running.

I'm happy if I never have to de-ice the windscreen when I've finished work for the day. Happy that I don't have to encounter black ice in the mornings. Grey days are celebrated here. Wouldn't trade one season in the UK, but go ahead and celebrate your British weather if you can.

Zebra
Old Jul 25th 2003, 4:23 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Gavin B
Because they can. Because its expected. Because they work hard. Because a change is as good as a rest. Because a sun tan is (pathetically) seen as a status symbol.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 4:29 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

the only time i like the rain is when i`m at work. i hate it when its sunny outside and im couped up in the workshop and by time the weekend comes the chances are that the suns gone and its raining.
us brits go abroad for the sun theres no denying that, but where do the spanish, greeks, italians and french go for their hols i wonder???
Old Jul 25th 2003, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Herman
Because a sun tan is (pathetically) seen as a status symbol.
Maybe people just go for the sun tan because it makes them look better and feel better about themselves (even if that feeling is fleeting). Heck, even a fat guy looks better when he's tanned. The old spare tire looks better brown than when it has your basic fish-belly white look.

Personally, I love the sun and, as someone else said above, the big blue skies. Add to that the endlessly changing and fascinating cloud patterns we get in the lee of the Rockies, and I would not change it for anything. Grey skies depress me so maybe I have SDD (amongst other things).

Last edited by TimEh?; Jul 25th 2003 at 5:04 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I personally loathe rain, ice, snow, wind and all cold weather fronts! One of the major reasons for us leaving is the weather. I feel it is depressing and having just spent 2 days with the kids indoors because of the rain it is no fun either.

I am not looking forward to intense heat, but as long as my car and house have air-con I will be happy if it is hot outside.

I am a sunseeking person, always have been and I won't be sorry if I never see a bit of ice or snow again. The winter is a grey , bleak time for me and I am glad I won't be spending the next one here.

I am expecting all the trolls to comment on how niave I am. I won't bother to rise to the bait, so fire away!

Tina
Old Jul 25th 2003, 5:11 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I don't hate the rain - how could I when it gives so much life and results in the green landscapes.

You can take water for granted in this country (UK) and waste so much (especially if you are not metered).

As a comparison
Signs in WA to use the water wisely due to lack of rain.
In Eastern Oz, signs in bakeries that prices have to go up due to wheat prices increasing as a result of drought. Many relieved Australians that when it rained their water tanks were eventually filled.

It appears to be the difference where in the UK it will rain all day to produce the same rain levels as an hour or two in Australia.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 6:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount

badgers
My brother is also in Iraq, he says that it is constantly above 40c with the occasional sand storm thown in, I bet they would like a nice bit of rain !. There are 40 men to a tent with no a/c. The yanks down the road have everything air conditioned & have a pool & leisure centre that the Brits can use, shows you what the MOD thinks of it's soldiers. Paul says that they deserve to use the yank's facilities as they are always getting them out of the shit.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

I was there a year and am proud of the fact I only went in the sea 5 times.

badgers

[/QUOTE]

i have lived on the south coast where its rained all day today i might add for 36 years and only ever been in the sea here a handful of times!
i'm on holiday from a boring office job next week and can't even plan days out with my daughter because the weather is soooo unpredictable, give me sunshine every day in australia
Old Jul 25th 2003, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
I personally loathe rain, ice, snow, wind and all cold weather fronts! One of the major reasons for us leaving is the weather. I feel it is depressing and having just spent 2 days with the kids indoors because of the rain it is no fun either.

I am not looking forward to intense heat, but as long as my car and house have air-con I will be happy if it is hot outside.

I am a sunseeking person, always have been and I won't be sorry if I never see a bit of ice or snow again. The winter is a grey , bleak time for me and I am glad I won't be spending the next one here.

I am expecting all the trolls to comment on how niave I am. I won't bother to rise to the bait, so fire away!

Tina
Here, Here - thats why I moved to Florida!!!

Even after 8 years I get chills when it rains despite still being 80 degrees outside! Like Florida, I'm am informed that Perth gets a few deluges and cold temps but I can live with it cos I know it won't last for months and months as it does in the UK. The heat can be draining but I know I could never go back to damp and cold, I would be miserable.

Wannabe Wallaby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.