Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DO YOU GO FOR IT OR NOT, I DRIVING MYSELF MAD!

DO YOU GO FOR IT OR NOT, I DRIVING MYSELF MAD!

Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Matildapommie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DO YOU GO FOR IT OR NOT, I DRIVING MYSELF MAD!

I am driving myself mad and my OH is driving us both mad, long story had a really bad experience on first time round moving from England to Australia. My fault did not give it time and things happened so ran home.

3 years down the line, OH on a good salary , I have a nice home and location Ok but to ££ to move to better location and can afford to get by , 2 cars, holiday's. But both of us really do not think England is great for our children to grow up anymore. I really get depressed at what I see, social problems and the rising cost's of living and petrol.

It cost so much money to take the children out on day trips, and I found parks just full of everything I hate. It may be that living in the south east , We both live here for work.

So I know that Australia is not perfect, but do you just give it one more chance, with only one year left on visa and go for it. The problem is that OH job is one of trying his luck once he gets there, and salary would be lot less but I would not want to get really old and think why did we not?, you never know. But I am just so worried that it could go major wrong again.

Any advice would be so helpful
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DO YOU GO FOR IT OR NOT, I DRIVING MYSELF MAD!

Originally Posted by Matildapommie
I am driving myself mad and my OH is driving us both mad, long story had a really bad experience on first time round moving from England to Australia. My fault did not give it time and things happened so ran home.

3 years down the line, OH on a good salary , I have a nice home and location Ok but to ££ to move to better location and can afford to get by , 2 cars, holiday's. But both of us really do not think England is great for our children to grow up anymore. I really get depressed at what I see, social problems and the rising cost's of living and petrol.

It cost so much money to take the children out on day trips, and I found parks just full of everything I hate. It may be that living in the south east , We both live here for work.

So I know that Australia is not perfect, but do you just give it one more chance, with only one year left on visa and go for it. The problem is that OH job is one of trying his luck once he gets there, and salary would be lot less but I would not want to get really old and think why did we not?, you never know. But I am just so worried that it could go major wrong again.

If you don't think the same issues you had before will come up you should go for it. Life is for living after all and in my opinion its better not to live with regrets about things you didn't do. If it doesn't work out you can always move back or try somewhere else.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:00 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Follow the gut feeling, but you all have to be 100 % in it together
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

We have saved some money, could rent out house. OH got offered a job but they want him now and that just can not happen. So we would go out with out possible work. But does anyone who's gone without a job and took whole family out!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matlidapommie

We're in a very similar situation, although we did live in oz for almost 7 years - i'm guessing you were there less than that? We came back cos i wanted to really, but now 5 years down the line and after much 'driving ourselves mad' we plan to head back. We have a nice home, nice school for kids, etc but i dont want to kids (we have 3) growing up here (we are in the north west). We have put the house on the market, but not even had a viewer yet, so thinking we may have to rent it out, which i dont really want to do - but how long do you wait? My husband has also had chance of work back in perth but hey wanted him there now, we talked about him going out first but it is just not feasible (and i would most probably go mad on my own with 3 kiddies as we have no other help). So, we plan to leave the house up till summer time, if nothing happens then rent it out i guess and get ready to go. I think you know in your mind what you want/need to do - it just has to be the timing that is right We have debated this for years and changed our minds due to one thing or another, thats not going to happen now - it's now or never!!! Good luck in reaching your decision, probably havent been much help but at least you know you're not alone!!

BB
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is utter nonsense to suggest that children growing up in England are anything but very fortunate, if that is truly the only reason you have for possibly moving again then I would recommend staying put. You seem settled, secure and it didn't work last time you tried, what will be different this time?

I don't agree that it is a simple matter of just coming back if you don't like it, unsettling for everyone and a very expensive process too. As for "life is for living" well I was definitely living my life in UK as well.

By the way I am not trapped in Australia and bitter and twisted about it, I love it here, I just don't think the doing it for the kids arguments stack up. Based on what you have said, the move doesn't seem to make sense.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Betty Boot, We have gone round and round in our heads. We did not give it long and homesickness was bad. But that was due to really family issues back home, so I felt I needed to go back for them all. Only to kick myself hard for doing so. Only worry is the work front for OH and salary which is sad, but money does pay the rent and bills. Good Luck to you to!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think it is utter nonsense to suggest that children growing up in England are anything but very fortunate, if that is truly the only reason you have for possibly moving again then I would recommend staying put. You seem settled, secure and it didn't work last time you tried, what will be different this time?

I don't agree that it is a simple matter of just coming back if you don't like it, unsettling for everyone and a very expensive process too. As for "life is for living" well I was definitely living my life in UK as well.

By the way I am not trapped in Australia and bitter and twisted about it, I love it here, I just don't think the doing it for the kids arguments stack up. Based on what you have said, the move doesn't seem to make sense.
I am sorry if you think it nonsense, but I dont like what I see here, its not just that reason alone. Reason I came back was that my youngest child was very sick and I mean very sick, I lost my uncle, sick grandfather and my husband did not have any work. So I had a messed up head, and sad as you may think it was . I just wanted my parents, sister. So I ran back to them and now years down the line, I think it was bad timing and just think we never really got the chance.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry if you think it nonsense, but I dont like what I see here, its not just that reason alone. Reason I came back was that my youngest child was very sick and I mean very sick, I lost my uncle, sick grandfather and my husband did not have any work. So I had a messed up head, and sad as you may think it was . I just wanted my parents, sister. So I ran back to them and now years down the line, I think it was bad timing and just think we never really got the chance.
I must have misread your post, I thought you wanted opinions not for everyone to join in and tell you that you should move. And I am not sure what is with the "sad as you may think it was" comment. What part of my comment suggests that I think it is sad to want to be near relatives. I haven't even commented on this matter.

Perhaps you should change your title to "tell me to go to Australia".
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

How many children do you have? Unless you have the OPs experiences ie live in the area she lives in, then I dont think you can suggest she is doing the wrong thing and that her comment about children in england is utter nonsense.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Bermudashorts;9303343]I must have misread your post, I thought you wanted opinions not for everyone to join in and tell you that you should move. And I am not sure what is with the "sad as you may think it was" comment. What part of my comment suggests that I think it is sad to want to be near relatives. I haven't even commented on this matter.

No you havent commented, youve just been plain rude to the OP.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

I must have misread your post, I thought you wanted opinions not for everyone to join in and tell you that you should move. And I am not sure what is with the "sad as you may think it was" comment. What part of my comment suggests that I think it is sad to want to be near relatives. I haven't even commented on this matter.

Maybe your right, but hey I am not perfect. Oh dear, I just wanted people's experience's.Thanks for your post its really helpful to have your opinion in returning to Australia after it did not work out the first time! Sorry again if I titled it wrong
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:10 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
How many children do you have? Unless you have the OPs experiences ie live in the area she lives in, then I dont think you can suggest she is doing the wrong thing and that her comment about children in england is utter nonsense.
So does that mean if there are social problems in an 'area' in Australia ( hypothetical I know as we all know Aus is immune to such things) that parents should uproot to another country rather than just a different area?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:34 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it is the Southeast, I personally didn't get on with the whole area ... I found you'd need potfuls of cash to live with the kind of space and freedom I can here (with 6yo kid).

Maybe you could try elsewhere in the UK less hectic and see how you go? It would certainly be less traumatic than a move over here.

For my 2c, given the amount we earn and our expectations on life, it's a no-brainer to bring up a child here versus the UK but there are many variables to consider.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

It is so easy to think that the grass is greener on the other side and I can understand the time frame puts you in a position that it really is now or never. The rising costs you mention are world wide, Australia as stated time and time again is very very expensive, I don't want this to come across as a lecture but both myself and my husband are earning decent money but its a struggle, the days out for the kids are the park, the movies are on a cheap day and the occasional meal out has to be really thought about. I have been here 7 years and honestly our food bill is shocking at the moment and we really have to think about what we buy. Our son will need a brace soon and that is gonna be $8K, I had a filling a few months ago and that was $400 dollars (don't halve it you will be earning the dollar not the pound). Both sons are asthmatic and the doctors bill and the medication is $150 a pop.

I don't want this to be a doom and gloom thread but it is just realistic that you will a decent wage, you will need to be earning as soon as possible.

If you do come over bring some banana's as they were $15 a kilo yesterday.

Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.