Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you feel safe walking at night in Melbourne?

Do you feel safe walking at night in Melbourne?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:49 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do you feel safe walking at night in Melbourne?

"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, because I am the meanest motherf***er in the valley."
General George S. Patton
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:21 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

This all depends , by any chance are you an indian student ?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:16 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
You won't be safe in St Kilda, the week after next if they lose to Geelong
I will keep my head down in Malvern then

Will be a cracker of a game though get the feeling I will be on the edge of my couch yelling at the tv
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Walkabout has a spectacular aura aboutWalkabout has a spectacular aura aboutWalkabout has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ShawnMcCrea
come on, in every neighbourhood in the world at some point someones car window will get smashed. If that happened in this particular neighbourhood that is otherwise good than that is just bad luck. if you honestly judge the neighbourhood from now on as being a rough area i guarantee you must be mistaken.

Even the lowest crime neighbourhoods of the world have minor issues occur throughout their existance, such as that incident.
I live in the suburb of Frankston which is the last stop on the train out of Melbourne. One of the very few "bars" here has closed. Just before it did, apparently there was a 30 person fight and families with children had to wisk them to safety.

I lived in Huyton Liverpool and went to pubs in Page moss and Kirby and Norris Green. If anyone knows those areas, they will know what I am talking about, ....and I thought THAT was the wild west.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:20 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it was a joke with my good friend GG, I'm a Saints fan and he's a Cats fan
Originally Posted by bigAPE
That's a Soccer mentality. Assuming there will be widespread violence if a team loses.

If we lose then we'll calmly get pissed and acknowledge that we were beaten by a great team. Then we'll beat the shite out of them in the final!
You can both be assured we are very nervous about this coming game

GO CATS GO
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:21 pm
Has left the building

Originally Posted by Walkabout
I live in the suburb of Frankston which is the last stop on the train out of Melbourne. One of the very few "bars" here has closed. Just before it did, apparently there was a 30 person fight and families with children had to wisk them to safety.

I lived in Huyton Liverpool and went to pubs in Page moss and Kirby and Norris Green. If anyone knows those areas, they will know what I am talking about, ....and I thought THAT was the wild west.
If that was the wild west pay a visit to my old stomping ground
OTARA in Auckland
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:31 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it was a joke with my good friend GG, I'm a Saints fan and he's a Cats fan
In which case I apologise

Al
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

Again a handful of incidents isnt cause for boycotting going to a certain area. Granted 30 people is a lot of people to be involved in a fight at one time, im sure this is the exception rather than the norm.

Obviously caution can be exercised in certain areas, but there are areas here in Toronto where dozens of people have been shot and killed over the years, but people even with children still walk around in these areas during the day.

Violence is never the answer.

Originally Posted by Walkabout

Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:04 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Thats no good mate. But must be a rare occasion that this happens. In all my time here have not had any such bother.

Well at night time anyway
I had my car window smashed in Hawtorn. It's quite common if you park it at trains stations. Did you get have anything nicked?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Deancm
I had my car window smashed in Hawtorn. It's quite common if you park it at trains stations. Did you get have anything nicked?
well if its common...then howcome its classified as a safe suburb. to be honest i feel alot scared after my car windows were smashed in kew. I dont feel confident of parking my car anywhere now..its very scary
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by slippery30
well if its common...then howcome its classified as a safe suburb. to be honest i feel alot scared after my car windows were smashed in kew. I dont feel confident of parking my car anywhere now..its very scary
It's quite common if you park in any train station. It's usually kids or druggies looking for car stereos, satnavs etc to fence for drug money and it usually happens during the day when people are at work.

Didn't get hurt, did you?

It's classified as a safe suburb because there are not that many crimes against a person.

Last edited by Deancm; Jun 24th 2009 at 1:33 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by di90
I live in Greensborough VIC, which is a lovely green and hilly suburb (the bit that i live in anyway). When i first got here i walked at night to the plaza a few times and no reason to feel anything other than safe. I was always led to believe australia was a safe place.

The other day chatting at work, they were horrified to hear that i'd walked alone at night - even in a nice area! Asking mums at the school and my neighbours - they agree too. Because they have put fear in me, I have now been put off the idea of walking at night/dark alone.

Is oz really that unsafe at night or are ozzies just overreacting?

Smashed windows and soccer hooliganism aside, I think you should take your cue from the other Mums at the school etc: I dont think Australia is as pedestrian friendly as other nations and I think people (esp women) should be wary of walking alone in isolated places. Australia isnt that safe!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Deancm
It's quite common if you park in any train station. It's usually kids or druggies looking for car stereos, satnavs etc to fence for drug money and it usually happens during the day when people are at work.

Didn't get hurt, did you?

It's classified as a safe suburb because there are not that many crimes against a person.
No, i wasnt hurt. What worries me is that if someone can smash car windows to get some money...he/she can also smash my home window to get potentially more valuable stuff.

wat about policing?...i think police needs a stronger visible presence
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by slippery30
No, i wasnt hurt. What worries me is that if someone can smash car windows to get some money...he/she can also smash my home window to get potentially more valuable stuff.

wat about policing?...i think police needs a stronger visible presence
They do that too. It's called burglary.

The Police can't be everywhere 100% of the time.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:14 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Zambia
This all depends , by any chance are you an indian student ?
no i'm caucasian and living in a caucasian area. Hardly any multicultural people live around here. I have heard of some crime in the area but nothing compared to back in the uk. This fear must be an ozzy thing. Gee - they'd have the shock of their lives if they lived in the uk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.